PDA

View Full Version : Horrible Saw Blades...

Rob Hough
07-21-2008, 9:42 PM
A few months ago I learned how a good quality and sharp blade can aid in creating a clean and precise cut. What I didn't know was how horrible a bad blade could become, and how horrible it's cut could be... until tonight.

I started a project to build myself a workbench/cabinet. I needed to rip the 4x8 sheet down for my runners and then all heck broke loose. I have a crappy little 7 1/4" craftman clearance special. I don't use a circular saw much so it has served its purpose for the most part. Unfortunately I was retarded enough to leave the factory blade on it... Well that blade is exceptionally dull and even warped!

I guess tomorrow I'm going to get myself a decent circular saw blade for that thing. Man... It was like fighting a mean old catfish! It did everything except cut a straight line. :mad:

Luckily I thought enough in advance to give myself 1" of extra material on both sides, so I can at least clean it up on my tablesaw, but jeez!

skip coyne
07-21-2008, 9:48 PM
I have a 18 v ryobi 5 1/4 circular saw , couldn't cut a straight line always pulled right . I wrote it off a POS saw

In Hd one day and I bought I replacement carbide blade , Unbelievable difference , now its a sweet little saw and a handy tool

Bruce Wrenn
07-21-2008, 9:50 PM
Go over to Home Depot and buy yourself a Freud Diablo, 40 tooth, 7 1/4" blade. Costs about $15. Money well spent. I run them on all four of my saws.

glenn bradley
07-21-2008, 10:32 PM
2nd vote for Diablo. Inexpensive and they last. Like you I don't do much sheet work so I have been running a 40T blade for over a year. I have a spare I just haven't needed it yet. Speaking of which, whatever blade you decide on, buy two that way your shop made saw guide will remain accurate after the blade change.

Orlando Gonzalez
07-21-2008, 10:34 PM
+3 for the Diablo. I have one my Porter Cable circular saw and have no complaints. I'll probably buy 2 more while I send one out for sharpening.

HTH

Jeff Bratt
07-22-2008, 12:12 AM
A good blade and a guide will allow precision cuts with a circular saw - see Circular Saw Guide (http://home.san.rr.com/jeffnann/WoodWorking/JigsAndFixtures/JigsAndFixtures.html). I also use the Freud Diablo blade, so that's +4.

Tom Veatch
07-22-2008, 12:26 AM
... I also use the Freud Diablo blade, so that's +4.

Sounds like I'm missing a bet. Maybe I'll have to pick up a couple of those. I do like the 10" Diablo in my table saw. 40 teeth on a 7 1/4" blade would be about the equivalent of 55 teeth on a 10" blade. How does the smaller one do with face ply cross grain cuts in plywood?

Darrell Young
07-22-2008, 12:57 AM
Well, I guess this reply makes me #5 for the Diablo blades. I've used them in my circular saw and table saw for about a year, I guess. A great blade for a great price. I've been the dull, crapy blade route myself.

Jerome Hanby
07-22-2008, 8:44 AM
Good to hear about the Diablos. I picked on up to put in the $5 craigslist B&D circular saw I scored. Hopefully it will work well in my Portable panel saw and I can reclaim my "good" Hitachi circular saw.

Bill Huber
07-22-2008, 9:05 AM
If I am keeping up with the numbers this make 6 of the Diablos blade.

I have been using one for a long time now and they are great.

I am making a TV stand and the top is 22 x 48 x 1 inch red oak, after I glued up all the boards for it I need to trim the ends. I could not put it on the table saw so I use the skill saw with the Diablo.

This was cross grain and it cut off 1/4 of an inch just like butter and it was smooth as it could be, just a little sanding to finish it up was all I needed.

I have an 8 inch old Craftsman table saw and have use the blade on it at time for really thick wood and does a great job.

John Bailey
07-22-2008, 12:31 PM
#7 for Diablo. I've got it on my Makita and it does a great job. Love the price too.

John

John Schreiber
07-22-2008, 1:29 PM
+ 7 on the Diablo, but after a couple days of nearly constant work, it did splinter a bit more than it did at the start. I bought an Freud Avanti and am saving that for finish work. It really is glue line smooth.

Johnny Kleso
07-22-2008, 1:37 PM
I have one saw set up for cutting pannels..

I use a 30T Freud thin kerf

I also make sure the saw is tuned with the blade square to base and straight to edge..

I have also added a plastic sub base which makes a zero clearance insert and the plastic slides along my guide better also...

PS mine is Not a Diablo I think they Diablo is the contractor grade not the professional grade Red blade like I have..

I just checked Freud and they no longer list the Diablo or the blade I bough???
They do have the latest and greatest Avanti blades
http://www.freudtools.com/p-51-thin-thin-kerf-general-purposefinish.aspx

Amazone sells it for $19 I think I had paid $15 for my Red blade a few years back, well worth the money I spent when I am cutting up plywood... No more going back to the TS to clean up the cuts..

Peter Quinn
07-22-2008, 5:51 PM
One more for El Diablo, or an Amana timberline.

I was cutting sheathing with a Diable demo blade once, making the angled cuts for the gable end of a dormer. Didn't realize the block to keep the plywood off the saw horse had slipped, pushed that thing right through the top of the steel saw horse! Used the same blade to finish that job as it was still cutting great! I don't recommend this technique mind you, but I do recommend Freud Diablo blades.