PDA

View Full Version : What Durante said...

Steve Busey
07-21-2008, 9:21 PM
"Everybody's gettin' into da act!"

I've seen several recent pics of junior turners getting their chance at the lathe, and my shop is no different. My daughter wanted an acrylic pen as soon as she saw the one I made for LOML. I said, "No problem, as long as you make it."

Had a couple deep nicks during the roughing stage that I had to smooth over, but she has a keeper she's proud of. Might even help sell a few when she goes back to college! :rolleyes:

92934 92935

A side note - we almost didn't get to finish it in a timely manner - I went to turn the speed down on the lathe to start sanding, but it wouldn't budge. It's my dad's old Craftsman lathe with the Reeves Drive variable speed gearing. The gears were locked up solid on the shaft. Tried a few things to see if I could get it moving again, but no luck until I found a tutorial on the web during lunch today. Stopped on the way home, bought a gear puller, pulled the stuck gears off, cleaned the shaft with an abrasive pad, new lube and we're back in business! The old lathe is back from the dead and ready to party!:D

Mark Elmer
07-21-2008, 10:38 PM
Nice looking pen. "Ink a dinka doo"

Gary Herrmann
07-21-2008, 11:09 PM
Make sure you tell her wood smells lots better when you turn it. ;)

Jon Lanier
07-21-2008, 11:20 PM
Way to go, keep them turning.

robert hainstock
07-22-2008, 6:06 AM
The drive on my lathe (HF 347xx) has done that more than once. I use a hammer, (Get a bigger hammer school of mechanics) and a long punch to loosen it up. :eek::eek::)
Bob

Keith Outten
07-22-2008, 7:00 AM
Nice pen, the first is always a keeper :)

"Good Night Mrs Calabash, Wherever You Are"
I couldn't resist :)

Scott Lux
07-22-2008, 9:05 AM
I'm not normally a fan of acrylics, but this one hits me. It looks like lightning in a bottle. You might remind her that pens make excellent Christmas presents for college friends.

Lux

Paul Engle
07-22-2008, 9:58 AM
Way cool T shirt ....... oh! I'm sorry .... the pen is nice also :D
PTL.

Bernie Weishapl
07-22-2008, 10:32 AM
Yep thats a keeper. Keep a turning.