PDA

View Full Version : 8" jointer questions

rob hagan
07-21-2008, 7:43 PM
Hi all,

This is my first post though I have read many others. I have an opportunity to by an older delta/rockwell 8" jointer for the asking price of $500 .It is a 37-315 with an enclosed stand and 11/2 hp motor. The cutterhead rotates free and appears tight,and it comes with a spare set of knives. The seller is a retired cabinet maker.The machine looks to be in fair/good shape but is missing the outfeed table adjustingwheel/knob, and the cabinet has a few extra holes in it.

My questions are: is the dj 20 a better machine for a little more money(used),several members have mentioned "upgrading" from the older deltas-how so?, and the other option I have been thinking of is a used powermatic 54a for its longer tables. I currentlly own a 6" short table delta as well as a 4" delta- I want the longer tables for a straighter joint.

Any experience with these machines would be appreciated as I'm trying to upgrade my equipment for the long term(home hobbyist) Thanks in advance for any advice.

Rob

John Stan
07-22-2008, 4:26 PM
$500 seems expensive for an old jointer in fair condition. Expecially one that most likely saw frequent use. For example for $841 you could have a brand new Grizzly G0656 8 inch jointer delivered directly to your door. The Grizzly has twice the HP as the delta and will have a warrenty. My guess is you will spend a few hundred to get the used delta up to snuff. At that point, you would be most of the way towards the cost of the new Grizzly jointer. I went through the same decision process as you and concluded that the Grizzly offered better value and performance than the used ones that I found.

John Downey
07-22-2008, 4:55 PM
Rob,

I've got a similar old Delta. Price is ok I'd say, not a smoking deal, but good enough to take. If the enclosed base is cast iron rather than sheet metal, it may be worth more (I seem to remember these were desirable, might check at OWWM before taking my word for it though). Depends on how much you've got to spend I guess. I tend to prefer old machines over new ones, some people are the opposite - which are you? Do nice new shiny machines get you all excited or old crusty ones with interesting castings and switch plates?

You can always make the guy an offer if you're on the fence still - then if he doesn't take it, no loss and if he does you got a better deal.

Faust M. Ruggiero
07-22-2008, 9:09 PM
Hi Rob,
I owned an 8" Delta, 1980 vintage for 25 years. I sold it a couple years ago for about the same price your seller is asking. Mine was not heavily used since I didn't make a living with it. It was a solid machine. The jointer had a slight twist in the fence but I learned to work around it. I sold it when I bought a Bridgewood 12" that I couldn't be happier with.
Borrow a 36" stainless steel straightedge from someone, check the tables to make sure they are parallel, lay the fence flat with the working surface up and lay winding sticks across the two ends and check for twist, make sure there is no wobble in the bearings and if it passes the test, go for it.

Faust Ruggiero