PDA

View Full Version : Freud FT3000VCE Above table adjustment issues

Russell Tribby
07-21-2008, 6:57 PM
I've had this router for about a year and actually had to get a replacement from Freud because of some problems with the above the table adjustment. The router would move in midcut and essentially ruin whatever I was cutting. The new unit that they sent hasn't exhibited the same problems, however, the height adjustment is horrible. It doesn't matter if I adjust it above or below the table the movement of the router is ridiculously clunky. I'm not expecting it to be as smooth as a lift but the way it is now is pretty bad. As far as I can tell the mechanism only pulls on one post so the other side of the router is essentially dragged along and is constantly binding. I've ended up having to push on the opposite side of the router when I raise in an effort to try and balance out the force of the adjustment. Additionally I have to make sure that the unit isn't in the middle of a bind before I lock it down or it will jump in midcut. If you have this router do you notice some of the same issues? Any recommendations for lubing up the posts or anything else to improve the movement of the adjustment?

glenn bradley
07-21-2008, 7:30 PM
If its binding, I would be calling Freud tech support. I can push my Milwaukee down from one handle, no problem. The mechanism should move smoothly regardless of pressure. People don't apply equal pressure when plunging free hand, close but not equal. The mechanism should account for this. Did you remove the springs? This may not be something you do on the Freud but, dad's Triton is designed to have them removed for table use so I would check. As far as lube, the instructions for my Mil are to keep the posts 'clean and dry'.

Michael McCoy
07-21-2008, 7:36 PM
Are you locking the plunge lock after you get the bit set? I always do and don't have any problems. I was also told to not remove the springs.

Russell Tribby
07-21-2008, 7:56 PM
Just to clarify, the router is not moving once I've locked it down, that's what the old one did. The problem now is that when I attempt to raise it (it's always in the table) it just kind of clunks along. It is far from being smooth. As I mentioned previously, once I have it at the height that I want I have to give it a little nudge to make sure that it's not in the middle of a bind before I lock it down. This is the second unit I've had that's done this. It makes me think that it's a design issue over user error. I can't imagine what I'm doing wrong.

Wade Lippman
07-21-2008, 9:05 PM
Mine has worked pretty flawlessly. And I don't lock it.

I just made some rail and stile frames; any movement would be pretty obvious, but there wasn't any. And it doesn't bind either.

glenn bradley
07-21-2008, 10:34 PM
Are you locking the plunge lock after you get the bit set? I always do and don't have any problems. I was also told to not remove the springs.

Thanks Michael, I wasn't sure about that.

Russell Tribby
07-21-2008, 11:06 PM
Mine has worked pretty flawlessly. And I don't lock it.

I just made some rail and stile frames; any movement would be pretty obvious, but there wasn't any. And it doesn't bind either.

Wade,

When you use the height adjustment knob to do above the table height changes it doesn't bind/jump on you at all? What am I doing wrong? I have this thing solidly bolted to a bench dog aluminum plate and this is the second unit I've had that has had this problem.

Dave Stuve
07-21-2008, 11:24 PM
Count me as another happy 3000VCE owner - I didn't remove the springs; just screwed it to the bottom of my Bench Dog aluminum pro plate. (I had to drill another hole in the plate even though it was the 'Freud' plate because I couldn't get a nice triangle of holes to line up.)

No clunks or binding for me either - are you sure you've got it securely attached?

Dave

Charles McCracken
07-22-2008, 8:24 AM
I've had this router for about a year and actually had to get a replacement from Freud because of some problems with the above the table adjustment. The router would move in midcut and essentially ruin whatever I was cutting. The new unit that they sent hasn't exhibited the same problems, however, the height adjustment is horrible. It doesn't matter if I adjust it above or below the table the movement of the router is ridiculously clunky. I'm not expecting it to be as smooth as a lift but the way it is now is pretty bad. As far as I can tell the mechanism only pulls on one post so the other side of the router is essentially dragged along and is constantly binding. I've ended up having to push on the opposite side of the router when I raise in an effort to try and balance out the force of the adjustment. Additionally I have to make sure that the unit isn't in the middle of a bind before I lock it down or it will jump in midcut. If you have this router do you notice some of the same issues? Any recommendations for lubing up the posts or anything else to improve the movement of the adjustment?

Russell,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with your replacement router. The warranty on the tool is still good for four more years so I recommend that you call our Parts and Repair Department at (800) 334-4107 to see what they suggest.

Russell Tribby
07-22-2008, 12:13 PM
Count me as another happy 3000VCE owner - I didn't remove the springs; just screwed it to the bottom of my Bench Dog aluminum pro plate. (I had to drill another hole in the plate even though it was the 'Freud' plate because I couldn't get a nice triangle of holes to line up.)

No clunks or binding for me either - are you sure you've got it securely attached?

Dave

I can't budge the thing when it's in there. That was the first thing I checked on the old router. I'm pretty sure I have the same plate as you. I had to drill a hole for the above the table adjustment but that was it. Did you remove the plastic base on the router before you attached it to the plate?

Russell Tribby
07-22-2008, 12:14 PM
Russell,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with your replacement router. The warranty on the tool is still good for four more years so I recommend that you call our Parts and Repair Department at (800) 334-4107 to see what they suggest.

Thanks Charles. I'll give them a call today.

Dave Stuve
07-23-2008, 2:09 AM
Oops, you're right, I had to drill the hole for the height adjustment - sorry about that! And yes, I did take the plastic plate off of the router before attaching it to the plate!

Dave

Wade Lippman
07-23-2008, 9:29 AM
Wade,

When you use the height adjustment knob to do above the table height changes it doesn't bind/jump on you at all? What am I doing wrong? I have this thing solidly bolted to a bench dog aluminum plate and this is the second unit I've had that has had this problem.

No binding at all. I use a socket wrench to adjust it, as the knob is too slow, but it works great.
I hope Freud CS is able to help you.

Russell Tribby
07-26-2008, 12:11 PM
I called Freud the other day and they told me to send the router in so that they could take a look at it. The last time that I did that they sent me a brand new unit (which is the one I'm having to send in now). While I appreciate their customer service it irks me somewhat to have to pay for shipping 2X for a faulty product. The router is heavy and I think the last time I shipped it the cost was around $12-15. This being the second time I will have ended up paying $25-30 extra on top of the cost of the router for problems that were no fault of my own. I looked at the warranty in the manual and it clearly states that I am responsible for shipping cost. Am I out of line to feel a little bit peeved? I am essentially paying 10% more for the unit. It certainly makes me wary of buying anything Freud in the future that might need warranty work (I have a few of their blades and bits).

Russell Tribby
07-29-2008, 5:32 PM
Kudos to Charles for helping me to take care of this issue. I think it's great that we have a company rep here on the forum that actively provides solutions to issues one may have with his company's products. It certainly helps to reassure my faith in Freud as a company.

John Keeton
07-29-2008, 7:42 PM
Another round of applause for Charles. I had been watching this thread, and the others on Triton before making a decision on a router for my extension wing. Emailed Charles with a technical question and received a prompt and informative reply. That was the response I needed to pull the trigger on a 3000VCE that I hope to get installed here in the next few days. Although Triton has received good reviews for above the table use, and is a good $100 cheaper - having a human that can respond to issues that may arise is easily worth the $100 bucks. This is a hobby for me so lost time isn't profit, but it does represent minutes and hours that I can never replace. Thanks Charles for your participation.

Frank Garber
12-29-2012, 8:52 PM
I've just experienced the same issue. I've been running the adjustment from above the table and using a power driver with a 10mm hex bit. It would make a clicking sound when being driven up or down. I was unable to move the manual adjustment knob by hand so attempted to with a handheld hex driver. I quickly stripped the hex opening...

I called Freud and confessed to using a power driver. The associate thinks that using the power driver caused the plastic adjustment knob and housing to melt / fuse. :-( I ordered a new knob (Part 136085671 - Height adjustment knob $13.30 including S&H). I'll let you know how the install worked...

In the future I'll still use the power driver, but will make sure the plastic parts are 'lubed'... :D