PDA

View Full Version : bandsaw motor problems

Leo Kempf
07-21-2008, 3:58 PM
I have an older craftsman 10" bandsaw. It's in nice shape. One day I turned the switch on and it just hummed. I took it apart, took the blade off the wheels and turned the motor on again. Still just hummed. Then with the motor on, I spun the upper wheel (mounted to the motor) and it started spinning up to speed. It seems to have lost the ability to start from a dead stop. Any ideas? The motor just fried?

Lee Schierer
07-21-2008, 4:09 PM
Most likely the motor has a starting capacitor and the capacitor has gone bad. You should see a hump on the side of the motor. If you disconnect the power and remove the cover of that hump you will find the capacitor. Most motor repair or electrical supply houses can test them and get you a new one. Cost should be about $20, though I will admit it has been a while since I bought one.

You can probably get one online from Sears!

David G Baker
07-21-2008, 4:24 PM
The replacement capacitor may be a lot cheaper if you can find a supplier other than Sears. Your local electric supply house will have the replacement more than likely. If you know a little electronics you could possible duplicate the value of the capacitor with capacitors from Radio Shack if they still carry them.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-21-2008, 4:27 PM
Some motors have a centrifugal switch located at one end. You pull the cover off that end and it looks like a set of points in an old car ignition switch. It's function is to put the starting cap in the circuit until the motor is up to speed and then centrifugal force opens the switch removing the starting cap from the motor winding circuit. It is common for 2 things to happen:

1. As Lee stated the starting capacitor goes bad.

2. Sawdust gets into the switch and prevents the contacts from making contact and thus the starting capacitor is never in the the circuit to start the motor. Often just blowing out the end of the motor with the hose from your air compressor can resolve the issue.

Good luck!

Steve Nouis
07-21-2008, 5:58 PM
I'd try Ken's No 2 first, seems like I had way more trouble with the ho low switch over the years. Steve

Leo Kempf
08-06-2008, 12:58 PM
I thought I'd post a followup.

Yeah, I took the motor apart and blew off that centrifugal part, oiled it up.

works like new.

Steve Nouis
08-06-2008, 1:47 PM
Nice to see a update, if it's a open motor just blowing it out through the openings works most times. Steve

Chris Barnett
08-06-2008, 2:28 PM
Love happy endings....thats where you don't have to spend more money to fix the problem (money that could be used for new tools or wood). Figured Lee or Ken hit the nail on the head....[oops].