PDA

View Full Version : removing solvent stain?

Marc Myer
07-21-2008, 3:22 PM
I made an acrylic piece, used Weld-on solvent to assemble, but didn't check it thoroughly before sending out to the customer. She found a white solvent stain on the black acrylic piece.
She asked if there's something she can use to clean it. I doubt it, but wanted to check before making her a replacement. Suggestions?

Rodne Gold
07-21-2008, 3:48 PM
Brasso should work.

Joe Pelonio
07-21-2008, 4:15 PM
Brasso should work.

Really? I never tried it, but I thought that stuff actually melts the pieces together, so it would have to be polished.

Rodne Gold
07-21-2008, 4:46 PM
Brasso is a fine abraisive polish.
We cut 1" + thick Pex shapes on our CnC machine or table saw/cut offf or mitre saw , scrape then sand the edges and then brasso em , gives a way better finish than flame polishing em. Almost Jewel like.

Joe Pelonio
07-21-2008, 4:58 PM
Great tip then, thanks, I'll have to try it. I used it once to get the yellow off of the plastic headlight lenses on a car but didn't know it was abrasive enough for the acrylic cement.

Rodne Gold
07-22-2008, 3:24 AM
Well , if its a bad "stain" in that its a like a blob , the Brasso will work but take a long time to remove the blob , if it ever does , we sand with 2000 grit paper and then brasso , so the same method would work on a "blob".
Thats why we use the "right stuff" for glueing acrylics , and thats Tensol.
There are 2 "grades" of tensol , a thin solvent that acts in a capilliary way , IE floods the joint between the 2 surfaces and "flash" bonds em (piss poor adhesive and strength properties , bond streength is poor , but is very quick and easy and doesnt mess) and then there is the tensol with acrylic disolved in it , very good bond strength , fills "cavities" but takes a while to dry so you need jigs to hold pieces in position to use,
The best part of the "thicker" tensol is that it hides saw marks etc on the edges it bonds , you dont have to sand em or polish em cos the tensol floods the micro gouges on the sawn piece and hides em.

Mike Null
07-22-2008, 8:11 AM
Rodney

The Weld On mentioned here is the same kind of solvent.