PDA

View Full Version : Router Bit Manufacturer Preference

Tony West
07-21-2008, 2:53 PM
I am getting ready to build some cabinets for my parent's cabin. I have been browsing the net and this forum to determine which brand of router bits to go with. In my research, it seems to me there are as many opinions on bits as there are manufacturers, maybe even more :). I am even more confused than when I started my bit search.

What makes one bit better than the other, and why are some manufacturers four times the price as others? I will be purchasing a panel raising, rail, stile, drawer lock, and several straight bits. I am a weekend woodworker, and will probably only use the bits for a few small projects after I'm done with the cabin's kitchen.I would like to buy from one manufacturer, and I have it narrowed to the following based on online/forum information...

CMT
Freud
Woodcraft store brand
MCLS

Any history you have on the bits listed above around fit/finish, quality, customer service, and overall performance would be wonderful. By the way, I'll be doing Hickory cabinets, I'm not sure if that makes a difference, but thought I'd throw it out there.

Thanks in advance for the information.

Frank Martin
07-21-2008, 3:24 PM
I have personal experience with Freud (most of my bits), some CMT, and MLCS. Freud and CMT are very good. I heard many praises for Whitesides as well, I will give them a try. My experience with MLCS bits was not good. Essentially trashed them once I compared how Freud/CMT cut compared to MLCS. I should say they are not at the same price point either.

For things like router bits/blades, etc, I prefer to go with proven, well-established brands. Of course there are asian imports which are much cheaper, but typically you get what you pay for with those.

Rick Gooden
07-21-2008, 3:31 PM
I have had excellent results with both Freud and Whiteside and try to limit my purchases to those brands.

Denny Rice
07-21-2008, 3:43 PM
I have had excellent results with both Freud and Whiteside and try to limit my purchases to those brands.

I agree with Rick, I own both Freud and Whiteside router bits, but I was in a pinch one day last week and needed a new 1/4 straight router bit. I went to the Green Borg (Menards) and purchased a new BOSCH router bit and was quite surprised with the results. I cut close to 100 dados with this bit and my homemade jig and this bit plowed through the material with no problem at all. I woul not be afraid to buy another BOSCH bit again. Last month I also purchased 3 Woodcraft 1/2" shank router bits, they worked fine but I think the BOSCH held up a little better.

Dewey Torres
07-21-2008, 3:47 PM
I have tried all of the ones you posted here and I can tell you that it will be hard to go wrong with any of them.

As for what makes one better than the other, one big thing is the amount of carbide which in turn make the bit more expensive.

As for my favorite, I chose Freud. For price, Whiteside or Woodcraft would be the cheapest from the ones in your selection. Freud just came out with a new bit called a Quarda-Cut. They improved the shear angle and make a limited number of bits from their line with a four cutter configuration. I have not tried one yet but they seem to be in every magazine I pick up. I am sure the price follows suit but it the case of router bits, you really do get what you pay for in most cases.

There is a great mail order that you can shop for bargains in called Pricecutter (www.pricecutter.com (http://www.pricecutter.com/)) They don’t always have the best prices but when they have the bargains they are hard to beat. I am telling you this because from your post, maybe buying the very best router bit is not the best for you. If you use them a lot it certainly is but once a twice per year, then a good quality bargain bit like one of these might be for you.

Hope this helps.

glenn bradley
07-21-2008, 3:54 PM
I agree with Rick and Denny. I use Whiteside first Freud second and then by price if I want to try a profile or grab a cheap spare. Whiteside wins the side by side bake-offs under controlled conditions, Not surprisingly, Whiteside offers a look at the article here: http://www.whitesiderouterbits.com/ToolTestRouterBits.pdf

Kevin Arceneaux
07-21-2008, 3:59 PM
Infinity

I bought dado for plywood shelving and they were dead on and cut smooth.

Matt Ocel
07-21-2008, 3:59 PM
Hickory Huh.

I'd buy two sets depending on how many cabinets you need to build.

I've had better luck driving a nail through concrete than through hickory.:D

Rod Sheridan
07-21-2008, 4:01 PM
I don't know who makes Lee Valley router bits, however most of my bits are from them. I've always been pleased with them.

Lee Valley saw blades seem to be Dimar.

I also have some Freud bits........Regards, Rod.

Per Swenson
07-21-2008, 4:03 PM
Yup,

Whiteside, CMT/Freud

then all the rest, except all the name brand tools have router bits

such as bosch, milwaukee and P/C. I think they might have to go

just before "all the rest".

But as a side note, I work as a finish carpenter. So that roundover bit thats in my laminate trimmer, been there a long time. I couldn't tell you if was made in china or the USA. Is the best darn bit ever.

Not because of the cut of the steel....because its spinning in the router,

if ya catch my drift.

Per

Jeff Duncan
07-21-2008, 4:09 PM
Pretty much agree with the others in general...
Whiteside makes very good bits as does Freud, I buy a lot of mine from Magnate, very good quality for less money than the others. I usually stay away from bits that seem too cheap so can't give you any advice on the budget brands. Well with the exception of the Woodcraft $5 bits, I know some here have had good results with them, but I found them to be worth what they charged.
My advice is to buy a decent bit, that way if you only use it occasionally it will last you a very long time.
good luck,
JeffD

Steve Perez
07-21-2008, 4:10 PM
Hi Tony,
I always buy Whiteside bits from Holbren.com and Lee Valley Veritas Bits. Both are very good quality so far and for whats its worth, both scored very well in FWW magazines comparison test. Actually Whiteside was tops and so far I agree. I believe holbren.com still gives discounts to Sawmill Creek members. Can someone who has used the discount recently verify this?

Its your decision whether or not to buy a premium set. But in your shoes, I would, then I'd turn around and sell 'em here on SMC. If you take good care of them, Im sure someone would take them off your hands fast. Probably even me, especially knowing that they will only have limited use.

Brent Smith
07-21-2008, 4:23 PM
Freud, Whiteside, Lee Valley and a few CMT. I'd probably have more CMT bits if they were easier to come by up here. As far as customer service goes, my experience with any of these companies that I've needed to talk to has been excellent. They're all quality bits, but if I was forced to pick 'the best' I'd probably go with Whiteside.

scott spencer
07-21-2008, 4:36 PM
Whiteside, Infinity, and Freud are my best bits. CMT, MLCS's "Katana" line and Price Cutter's black bits are pretty good too. MCLS, Woodcraft, Woodline, and Holbren's housebrand are decent value import bits.

The top shelf bits have better carbide, sharper edges, better steel, better bearings, and closer tolerances, which equates to better cuts, less chatter, and longer edge life. They're also more expensive. I use a combination of top shelf bits for critical cuts and frequent users, and the decent grade value bits for less critical cuts and less frequent use.

Steve Perez
07-21-2008, 4:54 PM
I will be purchasing a panel raising, rail, stile, drawer lock, and several straight bits. I am a weekend woodworker, and will probably only use the bits for a few small projects after I'm done

Although you will only be using them for maybe one project ... since the cuts you mention are so prominent, I would go towards quality rather then have the first raised panels come out nice and the last ones not so very nice. But because they do cost a pretty sum $$$, especially panel raising, rail, stile ... I would resell them if you have no intent on using them again.

I'm not sure but I think Milwaukee is still clearing out a rail and stile set for $40 which are repackaged Freuds. I wish I needed it so I could buy and try but i dont.

Peter Quinn
07-21-2008, 7:27 PM
One of my favorites is missing. AMANA. They make some of the best router bits I have used, their cabinet sets are very flexible in terms of door thickness and slot thickness, the quality of cut is superb.

I have used whiteside and Freud, both very good also, but I look to Amana first for reasons mentioned above.

I have used Infinity for shaper tooling and the quality is excellent, the price quite good for top quality products. If their router bits are as good as teh shaper cutters I'd consider them as well.

The problem I have with Freud is that the 3/4" set makes only one door size. My amana set can go from 5/8" to 1 1/8" with the same set, and I can shim the groovers for flat panel plywood, MDF, or run a regular 1/4" groove for tongues on hardwood panels.

If your plan is to make one set of doors for a specific kitchen and that's it I wouldn't bother spending on Amana, but if you want a set to make a few different things over time might be worth checking out.

Bruce Page
07-21-2008, 8:18 PM
I have never been disappointed with Freud bits. Whiteside also makes very good cutters.
I like the Woodtek house brand from Woodworker’s Supply better than the green colored Woodcraft bits.

Travis Gauger
07-21-2008, 8:56 PM
One of my favorites is missing. AMANA. They make some of the best router bits I have used, their cabinet sets are very flexible in terms of door thickness and slot thickness, the quality of cut is superb.

I have used whiteside and Freud, both very good also, but I look to Amana first for reasons mentioned above.

I have used Infinity for shaper tooling and the quality is excellent, the price quite good for top quality products. If their router bits are as good as teh shaper cutters I'd consider them as well.

The problem I have with Freud is that the 3/4" set makes only one door size. My amana set can go from 5/8" to 1 1/8" with the same set, and I can shim the groovers for flat panel plywood, MDF, or run a regular 1/4" groove for tongues on hardwood panels.

If your plan is to make one set of doors for a specific kitchen and that's it I wouldn't bother spending on Amana, but if you want a set to make a few different things over time might be worth checking out.

I agree with peter above. Amana is a very good bit, just hard to find locally by me. I also agree with Frued statement, they are limited when compared to some of the higher grade bit's. I can also add that I have had a bad, actually two bad experiences with frued bits. They were full carbide spiral flute bits and not relevant to your selections. I have a set of frued straight cut bits too and love those. I have also had excellent luck with the woodcraft brand for the price your paying for them. Be careful with the Hickory, because it is going to be an issue. The better the bit, the better the cut. Hickory is prone to tearout regardless, the cheaper bit's will just mmagnify it. My .02$.

Jim Becker
07-21-2008, 9:23 PM
Freud for their 2+2 design raised panel cutters. And then I typically buy Infinity or Eagle America for other cutters, with an occasional "inexpensive" buy when necessary for a not to be used too often profile.

Charlie Plesums
07-21-2008, 9:43 PM
I have found great service and price, and reasonably good quality from Woodline. They don't last half as long as some of my Whiteside bits, but aren't half the cost either. The green Woodcraft bits are great when they are on sale, much like a disposable razor works great but not for a long time.

Glenn Howard
07-21-2008, 10:13 PM
No love for Rockler bits?

Orlando Gonzalez
07-21-2008, 10:32 PM
My first tier brands are (no particular order):
-Whiteside (routerbits-dot-com or Holbren)
-CMT (carbide-dot-com)
-PRC (carbide-dot-com or from Pat Warner)
-Infinity (Infinity site)
-Amana (carbide-dot-com)

My second tier brands are (no particular order):
-Holbren (Holbren site)
-Woodline (Woodline site)

I have no experience with Freud bits (I do use their TS blades) but I understand they make a good bit.

HTH

Bob Feeser
07-22-2008, 12:51 AM
My choices are dependent upon purpose. My highest quality bits are Whiteside, and then Freud. I purchased a lot of Whiteside bits out of eBay; a registered Whiteside dealer was selling them at large discounts. These were not defects or second runs. After getting a few, I loaded up.
I of course use my better bits for the best projects. The smooth cuts, due to balancing, and long blade edge life make them worth the price, as well as higher grades of carbide that makes them last longer.
What I also picked up, and cherish actually is a cheap set of 40 of the most popular bits, from an eBay auction, that were made in China, and carbide tipped. I know they are not the same quality as the top grade bits, but the advantage of having them is that 1) You have 4 different sizes of each of the most popular bits 2) They only cost 45 bucks for the whole set including the wooden case, and clear plastic doors. I feel free using them. To tell you the truth, I am getting very nice cuts from them as well. These are the common bits, like ogee, etc.
For raised panel matched bit sets, I use Freud. I am getting glass smooth results with them.

Chris Kennedy
07-22-2008, 7:11 AM
I have a Freud rail/stile/panel raiser combo, which is really good. I bought it at Woodcraft. When I was talking to the guy about the various sets, he didn't even mention the Woodcraft set as a possibility. When I pointed this out, he said that it was fine if I were making a single door. If I wanted something that was going to really last, not to consider the Woodcraft.

Cheers,

Chris

Jack Briggs
07-22-2008, 7:36 AM
CMT and Whiteside are the best of what you listed. I've used Infinity - good quality; great for the price. I would not buy any Freud bit again as I've had nothing but short life from their bits. Bosch are okay, not great. Another good one is Jesada, IMHO.

Ed Labadie
07-22-2008, 9:36 AM
Freud for their 2+2 design raised panel cutters. And then I typically buy Infinity or Eagle America for other cutters, with an occasional "inexpensive" buy when necessary for a not to be used too often profile.

I recently purchased one of the Freud shaper cutters in the 2+2 configuration. Absolutely unreal! It leaves a finish like glass with no "fuzzies" flying up anywhere. IMHO the 2+2 series of cutters are worth a look.
All of my recent cutting tool purchases have been Freud, simply moving up on the cutting tool quality ladder as my cheaper stuff expires. No complaints or problems at all.
Freud customer service on this board (and others) is unbeatable. Charles is usually nearby, waiting to help with any problems or questions about their products.

Ed

John Lucas
07-22-2008, 2:47 PM
CMT for almost all work. Remember, "the most expensive router bit is the one that doesnt work." It appies to a lot of the bargain sets and cheap imports IMHO.

Robert Strasser
07-22-2008, 4:19 PM
Whiteside is my first choice. I only use another top brand if Whiteside does not make what I want.

I do not buy the bargin sets. I was using a bargain straight bit when it shattered. This is very exciting. And it was not my fault. I was not doing anything extreme and it was practically new. You want the best tooling for something that spins that fast.

Neal Clayton
07-22-2008, 4:42 PM
Although you will only be using them for maybe one project ... since the cuts you mention are so prominent, I would go towards quality rather then have the first raised panels come out nice and the last ones not so very nice. But because they do cost a pretty sum $$$, especially panel raising, rail, stile ... I would resell them if you have no intent on using them again.

I'm not sure but I think Milwaukee is still clearing out a rail and stile set for $40 which are repackaged Freuds. I wish I needed it so I could buy and try but i dont.

i agree with steve, those bits will cut deep, and will cut alot of lumber even if you just make a few doors. lots of bit work great right out of the box, a few hundred board feet later, maybe not.

that said, i use freud bits too, i've cut as much as a 3/4" x 1" or so rabbet in the back of a door/window crown with a freud bit in 16 foot lengths non-stop all-day through a power fed router setup with no issues. not knocking CMT or Whiteside or Amana or whoever else, i've just never used them, freud bits worked for what i wanted when i started doing this stuff so i've always used them.

Roger Warford
07-22-2008, 6:09 PM
What makes one bit better than the other, and why are some manufacturers four times the price as others?

My understanding is that the quantity and quality of carbide used will make a big difference. Perhaps more knowledgeable Creekers can chime in, but I found this (http://www.generalcarbide.com/grades/selection/) reference via Google that discusses some of the variables in carbide.

Charles Wilson
07-22-2008, 6:46 PM
Whiteside

American made.

Chuck

Jim Becker
07-22-2008, 9:22 PM
Another good one is Jesada, IMHO. I agree that the Jesada of old was great...but only the name lives on now after the original owner sold the business awhile ago and there has been little praise for several years "out there".

Jack Briggs
07-23-2008, 7:49 AM
I agree that the Jesada of old was great...but only the name lives on now after the original owner sold the business awhile ago and there has been little praise for several years "out there".

Jim,

It's been a few years since I'd bought a Jesada bit, so this could very well have escaped my radar system.

Thanks for the update.

Tony West
07-23-2008, 11:30 AM
My amana set can go from 5/8" to 1 1/8" with the same set, and I can shim the groovers for flat panel plywood, MDF, or run a regular 1/4" groove for tongues on hardwood panels.

Peter,
Do you have any part number info for this set? I'm intrigued by the versatility.

I'm not against spending a good amount of money on the bits, especially if they will last a lifetime.

Thanks!

Jim Becker
07-23-2008, 11:34 AM
I only mentioned the Jesada thing, Jack, because they originally were my "standard" when I needed something. I have a lot of them in my shop including their Leigh jig set. Infinity has been a good "replacement" supplier given the circumstances I mentioned earlier.

Steve Clardy
07-24-2008, 12:18 PM
Whiteside...

Greg Heppeard
07-24-2008, 1:26 PM
my vote...Whiteside