PDA

View Full Version : Finished Cradle project (pics)

Bill Esposito
04-25-2004, 11:37 AM
Hi folks,

It's been a while since I've posted but I've been out of town about 70% of the time since the new year and in the shop whenever I could get some time.

I just finished and delivered a cradle to my daughter who is due this week with my first grandchild.

It's 100% cherry from Tilton, NH and measures approximately 48Lx24wx36h. The cradle is based on the Rockler Heritage Cradle plan.

The finish (not one of my strong points) is 2 coats of Watco Natural and 2 coats of a wipe-on poly which was lightly sanded to 600 grit and topped with paste wax.

The finials are new and hence a month lighter than the rest of the cradle but I expect them to darken quickly (they actually don't look so light in real life)

Thanks for looking.

http://cerealport.net/woodworking/cradle6.jpg
http://cerealport.net/woodworking/cradle7.jpg

Bob Marino
04-25-2004, 11:44 AM
Bill,

Looks great and so does the finish.

Bob

Bill Spero
04-25-2004, 11:47 AM
Bill, Nice job, I'm sure it will be a family heirloom. By the way is that one of Norms projects from the first book in the background? :D

Dick Parr
04-25-2004, 12:13 PM
Very nice Bill, that will last for ever. :)

Bill Esposito
04-25-2004, 12:55 PM
Bill, Nice job, I'm sure it will be a family heirloom. By the way is that one of Norms projects from the first book in the background? :D
Thanks, and actually no, it's based on a Woodsmith article.

Halsey MCCombs
04-25-2004, 4:53 PM
Fine Wookmanship Bill. I wondered where you were, now I know(working) Halsey

Ken Garlock
04-25-2004, 6:24 PM
That is a fine job, Bill. I think your daughter has a family heirloom on her hands. :)

John Miliunas
04-25-2004, 6:53 PM
Simply gorgeous, Bill! Truly, heirloom quality! :D Did you do all the turnings for it, as well? (I think I'd go nuts trying to duplicate that many spindles!) :cool:

Michael Ballent
04-25-2004, 7:17 PM
I am looking at the same plans, how long did it take for you to complete it?

Bill Esposito
04-25-2004, 7:20 PM
Simply gorgeous, Bill! Truly, heirloom quality! :D Did you do all the turnings for it, as well? (I think I'd go nuts trying to duplicate that many spindles!) :cool:Thanks John and all,
Yea, I turned them. They all came from the same board. Took about 3 weekends to do the side spindles mostly cuz I couldn't work on them for more than about 4 hours before getting a stiff neck. I turned 35 of them and tossed the first 5. The legs were easier.

John Miliunas
04-25-2004, 7:27 PM
Thanks John and all,
Yea, I turned them. They all came from the same board. Took about 3 weekends to do the side spindles mostly cuz I couldn't work on them for more than about 4 hours before getting a stiff neck. I turned 35 of them and tossed the first 5. The legs were easier.
Wow! That's awesome, Bill. I'd have quit long before 4 hours, plus with my spindle-turning "skills", I would have to pitch 30 and keep 5!:rolleyes: I'd probably have it ready to give to my grand-daughter's daughter! :cool:

Bill Esposito
04-25-2004, 7:38 PM
I am looking at the same plans, how long did it take for you to complete it?Michael,

Not sure really. I think I started turning the spindles the last weekend in Feb. There's probably a solid 25 hours or so of turning including the legs. The rest went rather quickly. I modified the plan by using solid head/foot boards and M&T for the side rails, both of which added several hours to the task.

It's hard to say, I might spend 4 hours in the shop and do only an hour of work, but I'm guessing somewhere around 40 hours total

BTW, I used my leg tapering jig to put the 5° taper on the head boards.

I used my Festool Trion to cut the curves but I'm just not good at following a line so I ended up using a OSS to clean it up.

Bill Esposito
04-25-2004, 7:45 PM
Wow! That's awesome, Bill. I'd have quit long before 4 hours, plus with my spindle-turning "skills", I would have to pitch 30 and keep 5!:rolleyes: I'd probably have it ready to give to my grand-daughter's daughter! :cool:John,
I purchased the Sorby 1/2" "Spindlemaster" and used it for all the spindles. I really like the way it works and the fact that you just hone the flat top to sharpen it.

John Miliunas
04-25-2004, 8:10 PM
John,
I purchased the Sorby 1/2" "Spindlemaster" and used it for all the spindles. I really like the way it works and the fact that you just hone the flat top to sharpen it.
Ahhh...So the "Spindlemaster" must live up to its name. Good information to have! Still think I'd have a heckuva' time spinning that many spindles! :( I'm sure it must've been a challenge. Regardless, beautiful job on the whole project! :cool:

Bruce Page
04-25-2004, 8:14 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon14.gif http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon14.gif Bill, what a beautiful cradle you have built! It will surely become a treasured heirloom. I built a cradle for my daughter/granddaughter a year ago, it was a very enjoyable project.

Jim Ketron
04-25-2004, 11:03 PM
Looks great Bill!!!
Nice work
Jim

Jason Tuinstra
04-26-2004, 8:45 AM
Bob, great looking cradle. You turned all those spindles? Wow, that's dedication. I would have bought some or tweaked the plans until I read "slats". Great job. The fact that this is for your first grandchild makes it even better. Thanks for sharing.

Daniel Rabinovitz
04-26-2004, 12:19 PM
Bill
Just like all the other folks said - Looks Great!
Daniel :cool: