PDA

View Full Version : Glueing UHMW??

Ted Baca
07-21-2008, 1:21 PM
I would like to add a strip of UHMW 1/8" thick to a strip of plywood to use
as an auxillary fence face for my tables saw. The concern is: how can I securely glue this slippery material to a piece of wood? I really don't want to use mechanical fasteners to keep the face smooth and clean. I was at Woodcraft and found the piece I need but they couldn't tell me what type of glue to use. So if any fellow "creekers" have been successfull in this please share your secret with me.:confused:

Don Abele
07-21-2008, 1:23 PM
Ted, check out this thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=88548

Be well,

Doc

Ted Baca
07-21-2008, 2:13 PM
So after reading the post on this, it raises another question. How about threading it? If I buy the 3/4" material can I thread into it with machine threads to fasten a board across the top? Has anyone done that? I am curious if the threads would hold. I have a tap/die set and could maybe fasten that way. I have an Excalibur Fence and want to utilize the T-Slots to secure the aux. fence and I think an inverted-L with the plywood on top and the UHMW as the face would be an easy on and off fixture.

Steve Sawyer
07-21-2008, 3:17 PM
Ted - I installed some 1/4" UHMW to my Excalibur.

Clamp the UHMW sheet to the fence, and drill holes through the UHMW and into the fence.
Remove the UHMW and tap the holes in the fence for flat-headed machine screws
Drill the holes in the UHMW slightly larger to accommodate the screws and counter-sink for the heads
Use double-sided carpet (I used Duck brand) tape to hold it in place and secure it with the screws.

That all said, I actually used it for about two weeks with just the tape holding it before I got around to buying the screws and screwing it down. I actually think that the tape would have done the job just fine, but being a belt-and-suspenders type...:D

Prashun Patel
07-21-2008, 3:33 PM
So after reading the post on this, it raises another question. How about threading it? .

Ted,
Can you attach yr uhmw to the ply through the back of the uhmw like this?

Tom Veatch
07-21-2008, 4:47 PM
...How about threading it?
It can be threaded.

If I buy the 3/4" material can I thread into it with machine threads to fasten a board across the top?
Yes

Has anyone done that?
Yes. I threaded the UHMW used to make my ZCI for leveling set screws.

I am curious if the threads would hold
Won't be as strong as steel threads, of course, but shouldn't be a problem for what you're planning.

Ted Baca
07-21-2008, 11:27 PM
Shawn that is the exact confiuration I want to make. And Tom thanks for the answer on the threading. But I have come with the idea of using the 3/4 and drill completly through the UHMW top to bottom and counter sink the nut/washer at the bottom and bolt through the top board. And if I back it just under the top board with another peice of ply and set it back as a rabbet it should add stability.
I think that would work but open to suggestions. I have till Saturdays Woodcraft sale.

peter de tappan
07-22-2008, 5:56 AM
Peachtree and others sell uhmw "sticky tape", sticky on one side, that you can lay on any surface. I use it under miter bars and jigs. Makes them really slidey. Dimensions are .015" x 3" x 36" or 48". Forget about gluing or screwing.

Prashun Patel
07-22-2008, 8:38 AM
IMHO, your approach will work, but it's overkill. Invest in a pockethole kit (y'll find many other uses for it...) and just attach it from behind.

A pockethole joint is very strong, especially the way I laid it out above, since the screw is holding in the face of the plywood.

Steven Bolton
07-22-2008, 9:09 AM
I just got some 3/8 inch uhmw. Can I cut it with a table saw without adverse effects?

Thanks

sb

Don Abele
07-22-2008, 10:47 AM
I just got some 3/8 inch uhmw. Can I cut it with a table saw without adverse effects?

Thanks

sb

You can work the material with standard woodworking tools, just like wood. I've never had a problem with it burning/melting, even when cutting the 1" stuff I have.

Be well,

Doc

Steven Bolton
07-22-2008, 10:52 AM
Where do you got 1 inch material?

thanks

Steve Bolton

Don Abele
07-22-2008, 11:16 AM
I bought it from a company in Seattle when I lived in Washington about 8 years ago. I bought 1", 3/4", and 1/2" in 4'x4' sheets. When new that 4x4 sheet of 1 inch stuff was REAL heavy. Can't remember what I paid for them. But I still have a lot of it left.

Be well,

Doc

Ted Baca
07-22-2008, 4:46 PM
Shawn-thanks for the pocket hole idea. DUH! I have the Kreg and it never crossed my mind. I had thought about the sticky back thin sheet but I have had it come loose on other projects. It seems to work best as drawer slides etc. But the pockethole sound much more viable. That is why I love this forum.:) Thanks everyone!