PDA

View Full Version : African Mahogany Nesting Tables work in progress

brett gallmeyer
07-21-2008, 1:47 AM
I just thought I would post a few pics of one of the nesting tables. This one is finished except for finish that is... lol. I still need to make the larger one that this one sits under. I used a veneered mdf piece for the center of the top. and loose mortise and tennon for the joints.

Check out my threads in general woodworking about my mortising jig and tapering sled.

Any sugestions on finish? I'm really at a loss. I was thinking of BLO? but I tested it on a scrap and it didn't wow me...

Let me know what you think so far. I love input! especially sugestions of finishing "definatly my week point."

Brett G.

Greg Cole
07-21-2008, 9:16 AM
Brett,
Nice looking table. For mahogany I'll give you the basic schedule that was given to me by resident guru Steve Schoene:
1) Lemon yellow dye
2) Very light cut wash coat of shellac
3) Brown mahogany dye
4) Repeat step 2
5) Grain-pore filler (if desired)
6) See step 4 (a couple of coats now at a heavier cut)
7) Top coat of your choice (arm-r-seal in my case).

The lemon yellow sounds odd as a base, but it really works to pop the subtle color variations in the mahogany. The brown dye takes the edge off the yellow (as Steve said to me, the first application of the yellow dye will look HORRIBLE & it does but it pays off). I also added a layer of burnt umber glaze in between steps 6 & 7.
I also leave out the obvious surface prep stuff like raising grain & sanding between coats etc.

Cheers.
Greg

John Thompson
07-21-2008, 10:13 AM
Looks good so far, Brett. I would love to see the finished project though so.... please post when you get there.

Regards...

Sarge..

brett gallmeyer
07-21-2008, 10:31 AM
I appreciate the finishing method you listed and I will give it a try on my next african mahogany prodject. However, I am limited in my avalability of finishing supplies unless I mail order. I only have the borgs and ace hardware for supplies. so I will have to put in an order for the dyes durring my next online order.

Any sugestions... for more local options for finishing?

at my disposal ''in my shop'' are
BLO, Tung oil finish ''minwax'', danish oil, dewaxed shellac, various stains and thinners...

I was thinking of using maby a mahogany stain, shelac, wipe on poly ''satin'' ?

Greg Cole
07-21-2008, 11:18 AM
Brett,
Woodcraft MIGHT be local option if there's one in your area.
I won't use poly for anything other that what it's best suited for... floors.
I much prefer the dye approach versus stain, but if you are relegated to using whats in the shop I'd recommend trying samples (and make sure to use a big enough piece for sampling as to see the full affect including using the complete schedule of sanding, staining & top coating).
With what you've got on hand, I'd try a shellac base coat followed by the tung oil (most likely the borg versions of a varnish blend).

Greg