PDA

View Full Version : My Taper / Tapering Jig / Sled

brett gallmeyer
07-21-2008, 1:41 AM
I just posted a thread about a adjustable mortising jig that I made for a set of nesting tables I'm working on. I decided to no longer make individual tapering jigs for every project and instead to make an adjustable one.

I used phelonic plywood for the base, uhmw plastic for the runner, hard maple for the adjustable fence, 1/4 bolts for the hold downs. I made it so that there is 6" adjustability left-right and 2" back and forth on the fence. this lets me adjust it a wide variety of taper. I can even taper a very wide board.

If anyone has any questions, or wants dimensions or details let me know.

Brett G.

Brett CoughlanAus
07-21-2008, 5:52 AM
Nice Brett, not sure from the pics but could you add a stop block to allow repeatable positioning of the wood on the jig? That ply is useful stuff!

Michael McCoy
07-21-2008, 8:15 AM
Nice jig and beats the dickens out of those little aluminum jigs. I did one similar to that but have a "hook" on the end of the fence to make it easy to repeat cuts and adds a little insurance to the stock.

Joe Scharle
07-21-2008, 8:31 AM
I made mine to track in either miter slot. More positive than fence tracking. Something to consider.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/194/thumbs/Taper_Jig_1_.JPG (http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/194/Taper_Jig_1_.JPG)

brett gallmeyer
07-21-2008, 9:41 AM
I was going to add the little tab at the end and I still could. I just wanted to try and use it withou one. It works great as is. I do have a uhmw runner. that rides in the miter slot.

Joe Scharle
07-21-2008, 10:36 AM
My mistake, didn't see it. I also use mine to straighten bowed/waney wood. Sure is better than those $19.95 WOM (waste of money)!

Alan Schaffter
07-21-2008, 11:40 PM
My mistake, didn't see it. I also use mine to straighten bowed/waney wood. Sure is better than those $19.95 WOM (waste of money)!

Joe, pay attention. :)

Brett, do your stock holddowns also lock the fence? How do you ensure you don't move the fence when you change pieces of stock?

brett gallmeyer
07-22-2008, 12:10 AM
well i guess that my jig is still a little experimental. but. the front/ top bolt is just a bolt and not a hold down so this keeps the fence from moving. I was thinking of making all the adjustments just standard nuts and putting three hold downs in built into the fence. I'm sure i will modify it and make it better, thats what making up your own jigs is all about.

the one nice thing is that the top allways stays locked so it allows me to adjust the fence slightly each cut.

brett g.

Bill Huber
07-22-2008, 9:17 AM
That is a lot like the one I made, the difference is I used the table saw fence and not the miter slot, this gives me a lot more room for wider boards.
It is just made from 3/4 inch MDF, that is what I had at the time.

I used T bolts for the fence on it and that works out very well.