PDA

View Full Version : Best splitter

Kevin Gagne
07-20-2008, 11:41 PM
I am looking for a splitter/anti-kickback for my new saw. I have seen this splitter or a similar one used by the Wood Whisperer. http://www.amazon.com/Biesemeyer-78-431-T-Square-Anti-Kickback-Spreader/dp/B00002234A/ref=pd_sbs_hi_2 I think that something like this would be very useful because it is easy to remove and reinstall. I am sure this would get more use than the factory setup. What are you using for a splitter? Thanks -Kevin

Don Abele
07-21-2008, 12:04 AM
Kevin, I installed that same splitter in my Jet cabinet saw about 5 years ago and absolutely love it. Prior to that, every saw I owned I removed the splitter because I hated them so much. The Biesemeyer splitter now stays installed for all but non-through cuts. And for those it's VERY easy to remove. Installation was also a snap.

I highly recommend it!

Be well,

Doc

Greg Campbell
07-21-2008, 12:59 AM
I've use the "MicroJig" spliter and have had good results. This won't work with the standard metal insert that came with my unisaw, but I had already upgraded to a phenolic zero clearance insert. Installation was straight forward.

I really like it because it is so easy to remove/install, so there is no excuse to not use it.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=51151&cat=1,41080,51225&ap=1

Wayne Cannon
07-21-2008, 1:31 AM
The Biesemeyer splitter works great. Easy in, easy out.

A secondary consideration in selecting splitters is the effort involved to accurately modify inserts to accommodate the splitter. The Biesemeyer splitter requires a slot, but the size and dimensions are non-critical, since the splitter is held by a fixture below the insert.

Brett CoughlanAus
07-21-2008, 6:14 AM
Anyone know if the Beismeyer work in a JET JPS-10 ? Or where I could find out? I know Don said it works in his JET but not sure if the model makes a difference.

Cheers.

Lance Norris
07-21-2008, 6:15 AM
Delta makes a removeable splitter for about 1/3 the price of the beismeyer that works very well. I have one on my saw and like it. It is part of the Delta Uniguard system, but is sold seperately.

Chris Rosenberger
07-21-2008, 7:30 AM
The Delta site lists all of the different brand saws that the Biesemeyer splitter will fit.
They are very nice splitters. I use the MicroJig splitters with zero clearence inserts. They do the job,but I have had them pull out of the saw insert.
Another option is the Shark Guard splitters. I used one of those on a Powermatic 66 that I restored & sold. It was also easy to remove & install.

Brett CoughlanAus
07-21-2008, 8:15 AM
Thanks Chris, will have a look.

Don Abele
07-21-2008, 10:48 AM
...The Biesemeyer splitter requires a slot, but the size and dimensions are non-critical, since the splitter is held by a fixture below the insert.

Wayne, one thing that is critical to that slot is that it must be wide in the direction your saw tilts. It can not be the same thickness of the splitter.

Why? Well, one day when setting up to make an angled cut, I noticed the handwheel get REAL tight and wouldn't turn any more. The splitter was wedged tight in the thin slot I had made on my insert :eek:

Thankfully I wasn't cranking hard and no damage was done to the splitter. I removed the insert, cranked the blade all the way over, measured the distance, and widened the slot in the insert to match.

Be well,

Doc

Don Abele
07-21-2008, 10:58 AM
Anyone know if the Beismeyer work in a JET JPS-10 ? Or where I could find out? I know Don said it works in his JET but not sure if the model makes a difference. Cheers.

Brett, the model does make a big difference. A quick search found that the 78-452 is listed to fit the Jet Contractor Saw. I couldn't find a specific listing of what saw models that refers to though. For my saw (JTAS-10) 78-451 is for right tilt and 78-453 is for left tilt.

Be well,

Doc

Danny Thompson
07-21-2008, 12:41 PM
So the Biese splitter tilts with the blade, the MJ doesn't? What about the Delta? I need something to fit a JET JTAS-10XL (2000 vintage).

Don Abele
07-21-2008, 1:03 PM
Yes, Danny it tilts with the blade as it attaches to the bracket where the original factory splitter/guard go.

I have the Jet JTAS-10XL and the model number for the splitter is: 78-453.

Be well,

Doc

Brian Smith3
07-21-2008, 1:13 PM
I have a Biesemeyer splitter and it was easy to install and works very well on my PM66. It was expensive but for $100 I didn't want to attempt to modify a piece of safety gear, just not my cup of tea.

A friend of mine has a Biesemeyer on his Jet which he likes, but he said you can install a Delta with some modifications. Search for "Delta Removable Splitter for your Jet JTAS-10 Cabinet Saw" in google and you will find a DIY for doing something like this.

Prashun Patel
07-21-2008, 1:36 PM
Anyone know if the Beismeyer work in a JET JPS-10 ? Or where I could find out? I know Don said it works in his JET but not sure if the model makes a difference.
Cheers.

Brett, Isn't the Biesemeyer Splitter a lot like the JPS10's factory splitter? Curious why yr thinking to change it?

Danny Thompson
07-21-2008, 2:25 PM
Any feedback on the Shark Guard splitter/cover? It seems to go for about the same as the Biese, and includes a blade cover/dust collection.

David Tiell
07-21-2008, 4:36 PM
Any feedback on the Shark Guard splitter/cover? It seems to go for about the same as the Biese, and includes a blade cover/dust collection.
I bought the Shark Guard and splitter. Both work great, and I highly recommend them to anybody looking for a them. That said, like every table saw I've ever used, I currently have the guard off and it stays off way more than it should. But the splitter stays on for all but non-through cuts.

Lance Norris
07-21-2008, 9:45 PM
So the Biese splitter tilts with the blade, the MJ doesn't? What about the Delta?

The Delta Removeable Splitter tilts with the blade.

Brett CoughlanAus
07-22-2008, 6:41 AM
Brian / Don,

Thanks for the info, I gotta admit I tried searching on the Delta site and even emailed the company who only reiterated the blurb at Amazon. I'll try to do further searching. Also the reason I was interested is that the idea of a splitter that could be taken off and put on in one action (after set up) is much more attractive than the factory fitted splitter / blade guard that requires fine positioning and tightening bolts every time I want to remove / replace. That's the configuration of my JPS-10 anyway (I'm in Australia).

Cheers.

Peter Quinn
07-22-2008, 5:54 PM
I have the bies on my 66, and the bies is Nice. Easy to install, pleasure to use, does its job well. Can't recommend it enough.

Wayne Cannon
07-23-2008, 11:27 AM
Danny, I have the Biesemeyer in my Jet JTAS-10XL -- somewhere around a 2000 vintage.