PDA

View Full Version : New table saw purchase

Kevin Gagne
07-20-2008, 11:33 PM
Well I finally pulled the trigger tonight. :D I used my stack of gift certificates for Amazon and ordered a Grizzly 1023SL along with a HTC base, SuperBar and MasterPlate. I bought a WoodworkerII and a Freud Dial a width dado at Rockler last weekend with the 25% off sale they were having. I have been looking at this saw for a while now and feel that it will give me the best bang for my buck. For the most part it seems to get excellent reviews from everyone that owns it. I can't wait for it to show up so I can set it up. I am also in the process of finishing a 20x20 area of the basement for my workshop. I will post pics of the saw as soon as it is delivered. Does anyone have any tips for removing the coating and setting it up? Thanks -Kevin

Mark Elmer
07-20-2008, 11:38 PM
"I used my stack of gift certificates for Amazon"

WOW! that must have been a big stack!

glenn bradley
07-20-2008, 11:39 PM
First off, congrats! I was able to wipe 90* of the goo off my Griz jointer with just paper towels. Then some mineral spirits for the final wipe down. A generous coat of wax and you're all set.

If you pull the table to get it in the basement, pay attention to where each shim (if any) is for the top at the mounting bolts.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-20-2008, 11:46 PM
I've only got one thing to say

Lucky duck.....Lucky duck........Lucky duck!

Congrats!

Kevin Gagne
07-20-2008, 11:46 PM
Yes it was a big stack. It took a while to enter all of them but well worth it. I get gift certificates instead of cash back for my credit card and I found a place that you can order gift certificates for 25% off. I still had to pay a little but the total looked much better to the LOML. ;)

Kevin Gagne
07-20-2008, 11:47 PM
First off, congrats! I was able to wipe 90* of the goo off my Griz jointer with just paper towels. Then some mineral spirits for the final wipe down. A generous coat of wax and you're all set.

If you pull the table to get it in the basement, pay attention to where each shim (if any) is for the top at the mounting bolts.

What type of wax should I use and how often do you reapply it?

Kevin Gagne
07-21-2008, 11:27 AM
How tight of a tolerance do people get when setting up their table saw? Thanks -Kevin

Don Bullock
07-21-2008, 11:42 AM
Kevin, congratulations on your new saw.

glenn bradley
07-21-2008, 12:03 PM
What type of wax should I use and how often do you reapply it?

I use Johnson's Paste Wax but any good paste wax without more than a trace of petroleum and NO silicon would work. Waxes with high carnuba content are harder once applied but are also harder to apply. JPW can be had at Lowe's (in the cleaning aisle (?)) for about $5 a can.

I apply monthly or whenever things start to drag or I see a pre-rust shadow or any time I'm watching glue dry ;-) I keep two cans handy; one labeled tools, the other for wood projects.

I think if you search here you'll find a ton of folks that use JPW and have for years. Boshield T-9 was nore sticky than slick to me but it is supposed to be a good protectant if you prefer that direction.

P.s. on JPW, I apply and wait till it just starts to fog and then buff. The directions tell you to wait longer but the residue gets hard to remove. I'd rather do two light coats than spend half an hour buffing a tablesaw ;-)

P.p.s Don't forget to wax your fence if appropriate.

Don Morris
07-21-2008, 12:04 PM
I follow Kelly Mehler's advice on my 1023SL (love it) about waxes: what's ever left in a can of furniture paste wax, but avoid products that contain silicone which can contaminate the finishing process. Most car and floor waxes work equally well. Also, avoid floor waxes that contain anti-slip additives and car waxes that contain abrasives. What I have on hand now is Behlen's Blue Label Paste Wax. Absolutely a must after you've got the goo off. Congrats and enjoy!

Terry Dean
07-21-2008, 7:29 PM
Has anyone tried Penetrol? I use it on all my cast iron shop tool tables. You can find it at the BORG in the paint dept. Its main market is as an additive for oil based paints to help it flow smooth and reduce brush marks. But on the back of the can there is a paragraph that states that it is great as a tool rust preventer.

I found out about it on the Ridgid forum. Seems several of the guys in high humidity areas were having problems with rust and one of them tried Penetrol. It is the best I have tried for rust protection.

My shop is very close to a creek and the building is unheated and with all the cracks in the rough cut green sawmill wood siding I used for its construction, the shop is practically open to the fog and morning moisture that comes from the creek. (My shop was originally built for my riding mower and tiller and gardening tools until I converted it to a woodworking shop last summer).

I tried the paste wax and Boshield last summer and fall. They would hold up for a few weeks then it was back to the Boshield Rust Off and a new coat and then buff it off. My first application of the Penetrol was back in December - its now July and I haven't had any rust yet! I don't expect it to last forever, but 8 months satisfies me.

Try a search on "Penetrol" over at the Rigid forum to get the story "straight from the hoss's mouth".

Brad Sperr
07-21-2008, 8:48 PM
Congrats on the new saw, Kevin. Where do you get your Amazon certificates 25% off? That would be very handy. Thanks.

Lee Koepke
07-21-2008, 8:51 PM
You should enjoy your 1023SL ... I know I like mine :cool:

Wade Lippman
07-21-2008, 9:09 PM
You can get 75% of the crud off with a plastic putty knife. It is much faster and mess free to do that before going at it with paper towels and solvent.

Lee Koepke
07-21-2008, 9:10 PM
You can get 75% of the crud off with a plastic putty knife. It is much faster and mess free to do that before going at it with paper towels and solvent.
:D:D where was that idea 7 months ago :D:D

Kevin Gagne
07-21-2008, 9:28 PM
Congrats on the new saw, Kevin. Where do you get your Amazon certificates 25% off? That would be very handy. Thanks.

If you use VistaPrint after you place an order they ask you if you want to sign up for a trial membership in a few different companies. These companies offer discounts on travel, entertainment and gift cards. They usually have a limit of a couple hunderd dollars worth of gift certificates but for 25% off you can't beat it.

Kevin Gagne
07-23-2008, 10:52 AM
Just got a call from the freight company and they are delivering it tomorrow afternoon.:D That was quick service. Now I just need to get my subpanel wired so I can connect an outlet and power it up. It is probably better not having power right now though because then I will take my time setting it up and making sure everything is adjusted properly before firing it up. How long does it take to get the saw setup and adjusted?

Kevin Gagne
07-25-2008, 1:13 AM
Well it was delivered today. :D It took a couple house to get it all cleaned, assembled and adjusted but it look nice now. I have it all put together and adjusted. I just need to run the power to the workshop and I can try it out.

When I adjusted it I used the right miter slot as my referene for adjusting the blade and fence. After I was all done I was thinking about it and I think that I should have adjusted it to the left slot instead since that is the one that the miter would be used in. I checked the slots and it seems like that are not exactly parallel. When I took my adjusted fence and used the left slot as the reference instead I was seeing a difference of about .015 from one end of the fence to the other. The fence was adjusted to .002 in the right slot. Should I re-adjust this to the left slot instead? Thanks -Kevin

Dewey Torres
07-25-2008, 1:34 AM
Ahhh... the pics finally! Now thats a good looking saw. What is that shop floor made of?

Kevin Gagne
07-25-2008, 9:28 AM
The floor is made of 2' x 2' DriCore panels. I figured that would make it a little warmer in the winter instead of standing on the concrete and it also provides a more forgiving surface if something gets dropped on the floor. Some spray foam on the walls and then I can put the plywood up on the walls.

Prashun Patel
07-25-2008, 9:56 AM
DriCore - good choice. I love mine.

Kevin Gagne
07-25-2008, 10:07 AM
Yes it looks much nicer than the concrete. Have you painted it or left it natural? The only thing that I don't like is that it is so smooth that if you stand something up and have it at a little angle it slides down to the floor. Also it is pretty slick with sawdust on it. That is why I was thinking paint might add a little friction.

Kevin Gagne
07-25-2008, 3:54 PM
I guess the reason the fence is off when I measure it with respect to the left slot could be due to the where the fence rails mount to the table saw. If I put the MasterPlate back in and check it with the left slot I can verify this. There is a small amount of play in the holes for bolting the fence guide to the rails. How do I make sure this has been installed correctly? Thanks -Kevin

Kevin Gagne
07-26-2008, 8:57 PM
I got the workshop subpanel wired up today and connected up a circuit for the saw. Boy this thing cuts like a dream:) Now I need to build something.

Jacob Mac
07-26-2008, 9:15 PM
Congrats on the saw.