PDA

View Full Version : Wanted - Thin Boards

mike klein
07-20-2008, 11:19 PM
I use to buy from a vendor on ebay but they don't carry these boards anymore. Looking for 1/4" white pine boards. Size is not critical as I use them
for cutting out objects.

Thanks
Mike

George M. Perzel
07-21-2008, 8:01 AM
Hi Mike;
Does it have to be pine and 1/4" thick? I have maple, walnut, cherry, and jatoba-all 5/32" available- call at 585-924-4519 if you want to discuss.
Best regards;
George
LaserArts

Prashun Patel
07-21-2008, 8:09 AM
Did you check rockler?

mike klein
07-21-2008, 8:11 AM
George,

Yes it does need to be white pine. I have all kinds of 1/4" maple but it is very dark around the edges when I laser cut it. If the wood was going tobe painted I wouldn't care but its going tobe left unfinished so it needs to have a nice looking edge. I have over 200 small pieces to cut so sanding is not an option.

I do have a couple pieces of the white pine left here and the edge of it looks like you cut it with a knife after the laser gets done, cuts much better.

It has tobe 1/4" thick also for this next project I will be working on (if I can get the wood). I had the local lumber yard plane some down for me awhile back but its impossible (least around here) to get nice, knot free boards, even when you buy the best lumber, so I'm not going that route again.

Thanks
Mike

mike klein
07-21-2008, 8:16 AM
Did you check rockler?

I just checked their website and didn't see white pine listed but I'll call them later today anyway

Thanks
Mike

Jack Huddle
08-16-2008, 5:19 PM
Lowes stocks a nice white wood "Aspen" in thin pieces

James Stokes
08-16-2008, 5:32 PM
The hobby shops sell it.

Frank Corker
08-16-2008, 6:55 PM
Hi Mike;
Does it have to be pine and 1/4" thick? I have maple, walnut, cherry, and jatoba-all 5/32" available- call at 585-924-4519 if you want to discuss.
Best regards;
George
LaserArts

Gosh you guys don't know how lucky you are to have such availability to get wood thins like this. Over here you have more luck in finding the Holy Grail.

mike klein
08-16-2008, 7:47 PM
Got ahold a a guy in Michigan I use to buy from and he has many different types of thin boards. I ordered some pine and received it the other day and the quality of the wood is excellent, very few knots, nice straight boards.

Thanks
Mike

John Noell
08-17-2008, 12:48 AM
Gosh you guys don't know how lucky you are to have such availability to get wood thins like this. Over here you have more luck in finding the Holy Grail.
Yeah, well try a small town on an island (not even the big island with the capitol) in a "developing country" wracked by coups. I cannot even get acrylic (perspex) on a regular basis and when I can get it I have no colors and little choice in thickness. (Of course, it is beautiful, has great weather, and the diving/fishing is fantastic.) :)

Frank Corker
08-17-2008, 7:40 AM
Yeah, well try a small town on an island (not even the big island with the capitol) in a "developing country" wracked by coups. I cannot even get acrylic (perspex) on a regular basis and when I can get it I have no colors and little choice in thickness. (Of course, it is beautiful, has great weather, and the diving/fishing is fantastic.) :)

I'd swop! Have you engraved coconuts? It's one of those things I want to try but they are a little in short demand here.

Dan Hintz
08-17-2008, 8:32 AM
Some of you should consider swapping... shipping costs might be worth it just for the range of material selection alone. Frank gets his coconuts, John gets his colors acrylics, etc.

George M. Perzel
08-17-2008, 9:49 AM
Frank;
PM me your address and i will send you a box of thin wood-curious to find out US postal rates and timing for such stuff. Also wonder if I laser your name (or something) on a corner of each if I could ship it as Media mail- real cheap but takes forever.
Best regards
George
Laserarts

Lee DeRaud
08-17-2008, 10:02 AM
George, the regular Flat Rate boxes you normally use are $38.95 to the UK, with a 20lb weight limit.