PDA

View Full Version : Belt/ Disc sander paper???

John Terefenko
07-20-2008, 10:58 PM
Just purchased a Jet belt disc sander #JSG-6DC. My question is what paper to buy for the disc??? I see the paper that came with it is a sticky backed one. I was thinking of changing to a hook and loop setup. My question is there any problems with doing this??? I am thinking and am not sure if it would present itself as a problem but with a hook and loop system, do you lose accuracy if you need to sand to an exact degree angle??? This could come into play when doing segmenting glue ups in turning or if trying to sand to 45 degrees. I ask because I am not sure if pushing on a hook and loop system as opposed to a stick on system which is solid would make a difference in accuracy??? I hope you understand what I am asking. Thanks in advance.

Joe Scharle
07-21-2008, 8:53 AM
Klingspor and Shopsmith have good paper. IMHO.
I adapted my disk to hook & loop. After changing paper I push a piece of scrap across the radius to set the hooks.

Joe

Cary Swoveland
07-21-2008, 12:56 PM
Joe,

You may try using it with one grit of paper and see if you have a need to switch grits. I use 80 grit exclusively and find it works well for my needs. I use it mainly for squaring ends, truing angles and shortening boards slightly when fitting joints. 80 grit is coarse enough to avoid burning, and I'm guessing that PSA discs may result in sharper, truer edges than would H&L discs.

I know some people rarely use their disc sanders, but I use mine all the time. Mine is 12" in diameter, which is the minimum size I would consider.

Cary