PDA

View Full Version : HDPE Adirondack Chairs Material Question

Tom Henry
07-20-2008, 10:37 PM
I just got back from vacation and the house I was at had these really nice adirondack chairs that were made from HDPE...I think...:rolleyes:...There were 4 different colored chairs and they were very comfortable. Does anyone know where to buy such material? And its not Trex! I want to build a Jake chair out of that same material...Thanks :D

Mark Elmer
07-20-2008, 11:23 PM
Check here: http://plasticlumberyard.com/

Mark Elmer
07-20-2008, 11:28 PM
Further into the same site I found this:

http://plasticlumberyard.com/FURNITURE/index.html

Tom Henry
07-21-2008, 10:55 AM
OGM!!!!:eek: That place is 2 miles from my house!!!!!:D You are the man....

Rick Moyer
07-21-2008, 9:17 PM
The only problem I see is the material only available up to 4 1/2 " width. Curious how you will deal with the wider arms of the "jake's" chair, as well as the support frames? Keep us posted.

Jim Becker
07-21-2008, 9:31 PM
OGM!!!!:eek: That place is 2 miles from my house!!!!!:D You are the man....

Yea, that's really convenient. I might have to check the place out, too...but you can be the official "scout"... LOL

Tom Henry
07-21-2008, 11:11 PM
I might get a seaboard sheet that comes in 4'x8' sheets. I think I can get 2 chairs out of one board without the foot stools.

Tom Godley
07-22-2008, 8:07 AM
looks interesting -- I used to live not far from there.

I am over wood for some applications

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-22-2008, 9:03 AM
Looks like that PVC lumber material you can get at the borg. It'll be cheaper than a lot of other polymer materials.
I have considered using it on my next exterior trim job

Rob Bodenschatz
07-22-2008, 10:01 AM
Yea, that's really convenient. I might have to check the place out, too...but you can be the official "scout"... LOL

Yeah, Tom. Let us know. I need to rebuild a portico railing that was damaged in a spring storm & I was hoping to use some sort of synthetic. The only thing is, I need it to be paintable so it'll match my existing trim. Didn't see anything on the website about that.

Tom Godley
07-22-2008, 10:54 AM
Bob

I am having Azek installed on a small addition as we speak. It only comes in white -- but they and my contractor claim painting is not a problem. Need to use a specific type of paint as well as to stick with colors that are not too dark.

I am making a frame and panel design around all of the windows - using 4x8 sheets over the whole structure and then picture framing everything with four inch trim and mlds. I am using it on the whole structure.

So far it really looks great -- It would be even better if the product came in the standard tan on the rest of the house.

This product would be fantastic on a white shore house

Ben Abate
07-22-2008, 11:57 AM
Tom,

Is it possible that you could post a few pics of your work. This sounds awfully interesting. I'll bet there are a few others interested in your addition. I think this is an area that a lot of us are not familiar with.

thanks

Scott Loven
07-22-2008, 1:07 PM
http://www.polywoodinc.com/gallery/picture.php?id=235

Scott

Frank Drew
07-22-2008, 4:04 PM
Tom,

A lot of the comfort probably comes from the design; those chairs seem well thought out, with curves in the right places.

Tom Henry
07-22-2008, 7:50 PM
I already made a Jake chair and was very happy with it, but like Norm that was the prototype and now I need to make more...

Jim Becker
07-22-2008, 9:20 PM
I am having Azek installed on a small addition as we speak. It only comes in white -- but they and my contractor claim painting is not a problem. Need to use a specific type of paint as well as to stick with colors that are not too dark.

Azak paints up wonderfully with SW Duration...that's what you saw on my addition for the foundation cap as well as the porch posts. Dark is not a problem.... ;) ...with good paint. And Duration has a 50 year warranty. It better for what it costs! LOL

Peter Quinn
07-22-2008, 9:42 PM
I've been using a product called Kleer, which is an extruded PVC lumber with a slightly less spongy looking edge then Atzek. It glues well using Gorilla PVC glue or a two part mix with a special gun called Bond-n fill.

The paint required is not something exotic, just acrylic latex exterior is required. I've used Prat and Lambert accolade exterior, works great, haven't tried dark colors. I think the dark colors may effect the expansion of long pieces, PVC trim expands along its length. The Kleer product came with a chart listing expansion gap schedules based on temperature at install and length of boards being used as well as a pretty specific nailing schedule based on length and width.

I am not suggesting this for furniture as its purpose is for non structural uses. We just sent out some cabinets for an outdoor kitchen at work using what they called boat board, seemed more like what might be used for furniture, came in 4X8 sheets, cut with typical carbide wood working tools.