PDA

View Full Version : Purpleheart-yellowheart bowl

Frank Parker
07-20-2008, 10:12 PM
This is a new design I'm trying on a layered bowl. I keep experimenting with different effects by glueing the pieces together in various way. As I finish them I'll post them for your opinions. This one is Purpleheart and yellowheart, I finished it with poly and than buffed. It measures 7-1/4"x2-7/8"x3/16".
Frank

Thomas Canfield
07-20-2008, 10:30 PM
Frank,

That is some bowl. I cannot imagine the process that goes in to the finish product, but it is great. It looks like you are on to something there. It really is eye-candy and makes you want to handle it.

Bernie Weishapl
07-20-2008, 10:44 PM
Frank that is a beautiful bowl. Wow.

Steve Schlumpf
07-20-2008, 11:11 PM
Wow - that's quite the optical effect! Very interesting design Frank! Nice use of contrasting woods, great finish - definately a conversation starter!

robert hainstock
07-21-2008, 11:13 AM
It would seem that there is a tutorial in that design. You have our attention. Good job on the piece. :D:D
Bob

Dick Strauss
07-21-2008, 11:56 AM
Frank,
That's a beauty! Those joints are about as tight and invisible as I've seen! I also like the combination of purple/yellowheart together.

Have you tried any of the software based programs that allow you to rotate in 3-D and change woods? I think the $50 Lamination Pro will help you... http://www.woodturnerpro.com/software/lamPro.html. They allow you to download it and try it free for 30 days. You can also buy this as a package deal for $100 with two other pieces of software for segmented vessel design and overall form design.

Take care,
Dick

Bill Bolen
07-21-2008, 12:45 PM
Now that is turned art! I can't "see" how you did it and like Robert I hope to see some methodology posted?!..Bill..

Frank Parker
07-21-2008, 10:07 PM
This is actualy quite easy if you have a good table saw.
Step1 I got 6-1"x6"-6" long, I planed them for uniform thickness and for tight glue joints,I than used titebond 2 and glued them in 2 stacks of 3 with the side lined up and put in my press clamp.
Step2 I cut each stack down the middle with the grain. Now you have 4 separate pieces.
Step3 on the tablesaw I cut 20 degree cuts with the grain on both sides as in diagram 1, on all 4 pieces. I cut both sides to make it easier to clamp using bar clamps.
Step4 is to glue 2 pieces as in diagram1 making sure to line up the glue joints, the easiest way I've found is to get the pieces close and put a clamp at one end and snug it up now line up the joints at the other end and clamp then go back to the other end loosen the clamp, line up the joints and reclamp, you may have to do this several times before it perfect.
Step5 Now take the 2 pieces and glue them up as in diagram 2, gluing and clamping the same as step4.
Step6 I plane the bottom down so I have a flat place to put my recess for my chuck as in diagram 3.
I than turn it as natural edge.
I'm finishing one now that I basicly quartered it, I'll post pictures once it's done.
Dick thanks for the heads up on that software I'll look in it.

Frank

Toney Robertson
07-22-2008, 9:31 PM
I don't know how I missed this bowl but I was scanning down the list and I am glad I opened it up.

Very cool bowl even though I am not a fan of purpleheart.

Great execution, great idea.

Toney