PDA

View Full Version : On a tight budget... Help?

Armando Trevino
07-20-2008, 10:12 PM
I am interested in purshasing a laser cutter.
I do not need a large one, I'm in need of a small, possibly no larger than 10x10 laser cutter.
The problem is...
I'm on a tight budget.
I don't run around with 10,000 dollars in my pocket.
Does anyone know where I can purchase one with anything, though it might sound crazy, UNDER 1,100.
I'm interested in starting my own jewelry line, and I am using acrylic plastic for cut outs.
If nobody knows a place where I can purchase one this cheap (which they most likely won't)
Does anyone know of a good place where I can get my designs done cheap?
Please Help Me!

Mitchell Andrus
07-20-2008, 10:28 PM
In all likelyhood, what you're asking for can be cut from cut-offs from larger jobs.

Post your location and approximate sizes needed. Pics if possible. We've all been there and I'm sure some of us can assist you.

Armando Trevino
07-20-2008, 10:56 PM
In all likelyhood, what you're asking for can be cut from cut-offs from larger jobs.

Post your location and approximate sizes needed. Pics if possible. We've all been there and I'm sure some of us can assist you.

Not necessarily,
I'm interested in purchasing an ACTUAL laser cutter.
Although I am interested in getting my designs done for me IF
I can't find one I will then be interested, but right now, I'm looking if someone will be willing to sell me a used one, or if anyone knows a website that sells them that cheap.

Angus Hines
07-20-2008, 11:18 PM
Small ones occasionally show up on eBay Other than that I have no idea. Maybe if you can find one of these it might work just as well.

http://www.signwarehouse.com/shop/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SC&Product_Code=EN-R-MPX-70

Rodne Gold
07-21-2008, 3:11 AM
Buy a cheap chinese laser , there is a small one I got quoted a grand for FOB
similar to this one

http://www.made-in-china.com/showroom/easycut/product-detailsbeJEBRohxUj/China-Redsail-Desktop-Laser-Engraver-Work-with-Corledraw-.html

dunno how reliable it would be , however It would be MUCH cheaper and better to outsource , will free you up to market your Jewellery rather than fiddle around producing it , will be far more lucrative.

Mitchell Andrus
07-21-2008, 8:27 AM
The laser is only part of the cost involved. You'll also need an air pump, Corel X3 or X4, a vac system to clear the fumes and ducting outside (a window will do), and a steep learning curve that will require two weeks of your spare time.

Acrylic STINKS when cut. Be sure you aren't going to annoy the neighbors.

Budget $600.00 to $800.00 plus the laser.

I'd suggest setting up Corel, design the parts you need and post them here. Gotta design them anyway, right?

David Fairfield
07-21-2008, 8:53 AM
Make some inquiries at your local university and community college art departments. Some have a laser at their disposal and students registered for art courses may be able to schedule extra curricular time using the machine. Thats how I got started. At $300 a semester that was a lot of machine time plus a "free" graphics art class lol.

I saved a hundred bucks when I got a chinese thickness sander. Now I regret not spending the extra hundred for a Made in USA sander. Will probably order the American one, and use the chinese job as a doorstop for my shop. Penny wise, pound foolish. Something to think about.

Dave

Mike Mackenzie
07-21-2008, 10:50 PM
Armondo,

It might help to know where you are located. Then maybe someone close to you can help.

Armando Trevino
07-22-2008, 8:26 PM
I currently stay in the Houston area.

Armando Trevino
07-23-2008, 10:00 PM
Do I need to do my designs in Corel?
Will photoshop cs3 be fine?

Darren Null
07-23-2008, 10:29 PM
Nope, you need a vector program. Illustrator, if you prefer Adobe. Or Inkscape if you prefer freeware. Some of the chinese stuff will only work with their own program.

Roy Brewer
07-25-2008, 10:13 PM
UNDER 1,100.
I'm interested in starting my own jewelry line, and I am using acrylic plastic for cut outs.
Armando,
I have a two used, 25 watt, Epilog laser engraving systems in my garage that I'd be willing to sell you either for $1,100; Arlington TX!

Probably, however, you would want it installed for that price(?)
Probably, however, you would want training for that price(?)
Probably, however, you would want it delivered for that price(?)
Probably, however, you would want it to work for that price(?)

If any of the above probabilities are true, then I'd suggest you go with Rodney Gold's advice to job it out. I will attempt to send you a PM (personal eMail) with the name of at least one our my clients in the Houston area that does wholesale work.