PDA

View Full Version : Question on refinishing table top?

Perry Schmidt
04-25-2004, 1:57 AM
We have a nice kitchen table that takes a lot of abuse wrt to heat and water. I think it's a poly urethane finish. But it's 'thin'...best description I can think of.

We'd like to put a better protective coating on it. Any problems lightly sanding and then putting a few coats of poly on it? Or are there other recommended ways of putting a more protective coat on the existing top. We'd really prefer not to have to strip and completely refinish it. It really doesn't need it.

And if some coats of poly are OK, besides a light sanding on the top, anything else to do to get a good well protected top?

Thanks

Perry

Terry Quiram
04-25-2004, 8:52 AM
Perry

Since you are after additional protection the ultimate would be a glass top. However to answer your question I believe you can put additional applications of poly over an existing finish. You would need to make sure all surface comtaminates are removed then sand with 220 to add "tooth". Apply coats until you reach the desired level of protection. Make all your applications according to the directions on the can. Like you hinted, there is always striping and refinishing as an option.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

Terry

Wes Bischel
04-25-2004, 1:57 PM
Perry,
Just to add to Terry's thoughts, make sure the surface is very clean before sanding. Last thing you need is getting a contaminant into the surface which causes all sorts of problems. Also, test the poly on an inconspicuous area just to make sure it won't do funny things to the original surface. I would suspect the water based polys would be the safest over another finish, but I don't have experience with them.

Wes

Perry Schmidt
04-26-2004, 1:12 AM
Thanks for the feedback...very helpful.

Perry