PDA

View Full Version : AT&T Mobile broadband questions

Clint Jones
07-20-2008, 7:54 PM
I recently go AT&T mobile broadband service and have a few questions. I have noticed that connection is spotty. Sometimes it says my computer cant recognize the wireless device. I am using the USB LaptopConnect device through AT&T on a newer Sony Vaio. Do any of you guys have this service and are you happy with it??? Is the connection always spotty? How fast is it supposed to be, I am used to a DSL connection how should it compare. I have 30 days to try it out and I am about to be traveling to test it out, I sure hope it works better than it has.

Eddie Watkins
07-20-2008, 8:22 PM
I use the service for my desktop which stays in one place. I live on the fringe area where there aren't a lot of towers. Usually, I get 1 or 2 towers but it is really inconsistent. I would think since the computer is stationary and the towers are also, there would be consistency in my connectivity but there isn't. Somtimes I get connected at 3G speed, toher times it is EDGE, which is the old technology. It may have to do with load or weather or who knows what. The speed is still better than dial-up which is my other option. It is nowhere close to DSL, though. I downloaded a file in about 30 minutes yesterday that said it would take 8 hours on dial-up and seems like it said less than 10 minutes on DSL. At this point, I have no other options so I wasn't paying close attention.

Eddie

John Keeton
07-20-2008, 8:32 PM
Eddie, have you done a speed test at various times? www.speedtest.net (http://www.speedtest.net) The reason I ask is that I have hughes satellite at the present, no dsl available even though I am only 2 miles from town. AT&T says we will have wireless 3G available this fall, but not sure if I will have enough signal. We are on a ridge, so hopefully. I usually get around 800-1000 down, and 200-225 up. How does that compare with the 3G on a bad day?

julie Graf
07-20-2008, 8:41 PM
wow, that speedtest is really cool.

Jim Becker
07-20-2008, 9:40 PM
How fast the ATT service will be will depend upon which technology your local signal features...the older "Edge" or the new 3G service that they have been rolling out for some time. I occasionally use the "Edge" service via my wireless phone (using it as a modem) when WiFi isn't available or I don't want to pay for it and while I will not say it's "fast", it's acceptable for email and browsing. But it's no where near my DSL service.

Incidentally, you're the first person I've known to be using a USB device for connection. Many of my coworkers use ATT for mobile access on their PCs and almost universally, it's been via a device slid into the PCMCIA slot.

Eddie Watkins
07-21-2008, 12:47 AM
THe speed test was really interesting, my speeds came back at 455kbps down and 148kbps up. I also ran the optimization test and it said I needed some serious help but they were trying to sell a product. My dial-up was at 26kbps so it has helped me alot. I chose the USB card over satellite due to initial installation cost and shorter sign up period. I still hope that DSL will be here in the next year or so. I probably am able to connect with 3G connections 95% of the time and I find the speeds acceptable. Since I no longer have a broadband connection at work to compare it to, it seems fast enough. I didn't realize I was unique in using the USB plug-in as opposed to the card. Since my workstation didn't have a card slot ididn't have any opotions. I guess I never asked anybody else which they were using. I found a solution and went with it.

Eddie

John Keeton
07-21-2008, 7:23 AM
I've never run the optimization test as it was by a sponsor - and I figured they would always say I needed their product. My desktop is about 4 years old and I do not believe it has a PCMCIA slot so I would need to use the USB as well. Although, admittedly, I haven't looked at the back of my machine in a loooooong time! I am a real dummy on this technology - so what are the benefits of one over the other??

Eddie Watkins
07-21-2008, 8:42 AM
I think the PCMCIA is more out of the way, the USB card plugs into a USB port and sticks out from the machine. It does fold up into a 90 degree angle so you can decide shich direction it is going to be inthe way. For a workstation it doesn't bother me but on a laptop that is being moved around it might be cumbersome. One thing I failed to mention, I have the cheapest servide available so the speed is based on their lowest level package. I think the highest speed is 1.5Mbps download. It costs about $70-80 / month.

Eddie

Jim Becker
07-21-2008, 10:31 AM
I missed the fact that this was a desktop...USB makes perfect sense in that case.

Eddie Watkins
07-21-2008, 10:56 AM
I missed the fact that this was a desktop...USB makes perfect sense in that case.
I saw acommercial on TV the other day where they were plugging a unit similar to mine in a laptop and I wondered why since most laptops come equipped with the card slots.

Eddie

John Keeton
07-21-2008, 4:33 PM
I am paying about $60 right now for the satellite service, but I also purchased the equipment. Eddie, do you know what the up speed is on the 1.5Mbps service is? I would go another $10-20 for substantially improved speed.

Rich Konopka
07-21-2008, 6:49 PM
I used my card which is the PCMCIA card with the butterfly antennae all day today at a client and I was VPN in and also participated in a web conference over VPN. I was getting 5 bars and a 3g connection in Woonsocket R.I. I have had the Cingular / ATT service for 2 years and it has improved dramatically. Overall reception is pretty good. My compny had standardized on all of the field people sales/consulting in having them.

Based on the description of your problem I would guess that you are having a driver issue when the computer cannot recognize the wireless device. It could also be your USB port. Try downloading the latest drivers/software from ATT and also try different USB Port. I have a dead USB port on my laptop and it is a common problem. Many of my colleagues have this device and use it extensively all over the country with very little issues.

good luck

Eddie Watkins
07-22-2008, 1:13 AM
I am paying about $60 right now for the satellite service, but I also purchased the equipment. Eddie, do you know what the up speed is on the 1.5Mbps service is? I would go another $10-20 for substantially improved speed.
John, here is a link that might help. Their website is pretty sorry as far as finding information. Somewhere on their website they have the rates but I couldn't find them.
http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=4800&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=25146

John Keeton
07-22-2008, 7:28 AM
Thanks Eddie. It looks like the 3G provides the following: "The AT&T 3G network now delivers typical downlink speeds ranging between 600 and 1,400 Kilobits per second (Kbps), as well as faster uplink speeds, ranging from 500 and 800 Kilobits per second (Kbps)."

The download is not that much better than what I now have, although the upload is 2x or 3x my speed. I don't upload all that much, so not sure at this point it is worth it. Probably will wait until they get 4G to see what improvements are made.