PDA

View Full Version : My First Turquoise Hollow Form

Jeff Paxton
07-20-2008, 4:53 PM
After reading all the posts about turquoise, I wanted to give it a try. This is made of cherry wood, approximately 9 1/2" by 3 1/2". I used 7 coats of wipe on poly to finish. I basically used the article by Stephen Hatcher http://www.turningwood.com/HOW_TOO/Basic%20Stone%20Inlay%20(Ver%201.0).PDF as my guide.

Two mistakes I know I made, (probably many others):
1. I got the level of stone too high above the wood when I filled the inlay notch. I know the idea is to have it a little high and sand it down, but I got it too high and it was quite difficult to get it down to the level of the wood. I got a new appreciation for the phrase, "hard as a rock." I used 60 and 80 grit, but it was still VERY VERY difficult. I had read not to use a gouge on a previous post so I did not do that, but I did try a old parting tool, but it became dull in about 5 seconds. Next time I will be much more careful about the level of the stone.

2. The second mistake was just poor planning. I should have taken a picture of the bottom of the form because the grain of the wood was beautiful and had much character. By simply turning it around, I could have caputured that along with the stone.

All in all, I was pleased with this first attempt, and so was my wife! I welcome any comments, criticism, and any keen insight as to a simplier way to sand down the stone.

Thanks for looking,

Jeff

Gary Max
07-20-2008, 6:18 PM
The fact that it's a lot of work is what makes this cool--if it was simple everyone would do it.

Pete Jordan
07-20-2008, 6:45 PM
Awesome Jeff!

Did you use CA or epoxy to mix with the turquoise?

Bernie Weishapl
07-20-2008, 6:49 PM
That is a beauty Jeff. The turquoise really sets it off. Well done. Like Pete said epoxy or CA?

Steve Mawson
07-20-2008, 7:32 PM
I would be pretty proud of that one. Looks great.

Bill Wyko
07-20-2008, 7:35 PM
Jeff you did a great job. Maby a file would work on the stone. What ever you did, it turned out fantastic. Very nice.

Steve Schlumpf
07-20-2008, 7:51 PM
Very nice work Jeff! Looks really smooth, great color contrast between the cherry and stone and that will only get better with time! Will have to give inlay a try one of these days. Thanks for posting!

Bob Hallowell
07-20-2008, 10:24 PM
Very Nice. I have found that carbide cuts it fine.

I helped my wife finish up a turquoise rimmed bowl tonight for her mother's birthday I will be posting in a few days.

Bob

Ken Fitzgerald
07-20-2008, 10:57 PM
Your labor paid off Jeff! Nicely done sir!

Dewey Torres
07-21-2008, 2:50 AM
Jeff you did a great job. Maby a file would work on the stone. What ever you did, it turned out fantastic. Very nice.

Hey Bill,
Didn't you make a plug for INLACE here once?
Is it easier to cut than natural stone?

Dewey

Don Eddard
07-21-2008, 5:45 AM
That's a very pretty HF, Jeff.

robert hainstock
07-21-2008, 11:07 AM
You won't remember the Long labor a year from now. That Is a great looking piece. :D
Bob

Jeff Paxton
07-21-2008, 8:32 PM
I used thin CA to set the stone, then filled in larger voids with thick CA to finish.

Bob, pardon my ignorance, but when you say "carbide cuts it fine" what are you talking about, sandpaper or some tool blade?

Jeff

Phillip Bogle
07-23-2008, 7:43 PM
Jeff that is a beautiful piece. I hope to make something that nice someday. I am just beginning so I know very little. I am wondering -- in ignorance -- would a diamond grindstone dressing tool (not the wheeled kind) the kind that is shaped like the letter "T" possibly grind down through the stone? I did some lapidary things when I was much younger; we were using diamond tipped circular saws to cut slabs of stone and agate. A lapidary shop may have some sort of free form grinding tool.

Just an idea.
Phillip

Jeff Paxton
07-24-2008, 10:37 PM
Phillip,

That is a good idea about the dressing wheel. It might very well knock down the bigger stones to where the rest could be finished up with sandpaper. I don't think it would hurt the dressing wheel like it would a gouge, so I will definitely give it a try next time. Anyone else out there tried a dressing wheel to smooth out stone inlay?

Jeff