PDA

View Full Version : Another Network Problem

Anthony Scira
07-20-2008, 2:52 PM
Some troubleshooting help would be greatly appreciated !

I have a mixed home network. Some connected to my router wired and some connected wireless.

Router IP 192.168.0.1
Mask 255.255.255.0

I plugged in my Epilog with a regular network cable (no crossover) directly into the router (Dlink Gamefuel) And I gave it an address of :

I am able to ping that address and I get a response from it. But when I try to add a network printer it is unable to connect to the Epilog.

Anyone have any ideas ?

Anthony Scira
07-20-2008, 3:50 PM
Hope this helps someone else.

While adding a network printer the Epilog was not automatically detected. There is a button to add it manually. I used the option to "Add Printer using TCP/IP address or hostname"

After entering my IP address of 192.168.0.22 manually it still does not find the printer.

Another window opens up requesting more port information. There are 2 selections you can make. Standard or Custom. Standard seems to list a bunch of network card and other hardware.

This is where I chose custom. A new window pops up and you can select RAW or LPR. I chose LPR and chose the name of Epilog for my print que.

From there it asks for the location of the print driver (you know the latest one you downloaded from Epilog). Point it to that directory and BAM I got a message that the printer has finished installing and is ready to print a test page.

I print the test page and the little green data light started flashing and all is right with the world.

Why is this stuff so dang complicated ?

Phil Sanders
07-20-2008, 5:57 PM
{SNIP}.....
Why is this stuff so dang complicated ?

Short Answer:

HEY, HEY, HEY!!!!!
That's my job security your talking about there!
You's wants us to start a UNION here, buddy?

Long Answer:

To provide the flexibility needed for LARGE installations where there are hundreds (or even thousands) of computers and 20 or 30 printers, you need the complex in order to manage the business network.

Just keep in mind that College PHDs in Physics and Engineering set up the hole TCP/IP address scheme. Name registration and cross reference to IP address came later. To really get to understand the full power of the IP address scheme you need a long week with Binary math.

Just take notes, as who knows what a super power surge or power sag will do to your network. Trust me, it never, ever, will stay forever constant. Something always changes.

Phil