PDA

View Full Version : New Dovetail Jig In The Works

Mac McAtee
04-24-2004, 8:30 PM
I needed a dovetail jig to make through dovetails on 12.5" wide boards. My old clunker wouldn't accomodate much more than 10". So I started reasearching. First I thought I would make a jig for cutting on a table saw. Then I ran across an article in an old magazine that had this version in it for routers.

I started last weekend putting it together. The only thing I could find around the area on Saturday to make the fingers out of was a plastic cutting board at a home store. Did that and that is the white fingers that you see on the unit. To the left of it you will see a strip of phenolic material that is much better suited for the application. I got that in over the past week and today started making the new fingers out of that.

Things have gone well and when I get it finished and adjusted properly I'll post more about it and some other photos.

aurelio alarcon
04-25-2004, 12:53 AM
I needed a dovetail jig to make through dovetails on 12.5" wide boards. My old clunker wouldn't accomodate much more than 10". So I started reasearching. First I thought I would make a jig for cutting on a table saw. Then I ran across an article in an old magazine that had this version in it for routers.

I started last weekend putting it together. The only thing I could find around the area on Saturday to make the fingers out of was a plastic cutting board at a home store. Did that and that is the white fingers that you see on the unit. To the left of it you will see a strip of phenolic material that is much better suited for the application. I got that in over the past week and today started making the new fingers out of that.

Things have gone well and when I get it finished and adjusted properly I'll post more about it and some other photos.Excellent Mac! Where can a guy that's down on his luck acquire a set of these plans?

Tyler Howell
04-25-2004, 9:00 AM
Too cool ideal, Very clean and precise work.