PDA

View Full Version : Maple platter with a walnut inset.

Toney Robertson
07-19-2008, 11:26 PM
I took one of the last pieces of maple left out of the plank that was given to me and made the following. Maybe I screwed up a nice piece of wood by taking out the middle but I kind of like it.

11" x 1 3/4" - Antique oil finish

Toney

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/iublue/205-5.jpg

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/iublue/205-5A-1.jpg

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/iublue/205-5B.jpg

Jess Wetherhold
07-19-2008, 11:34 PM
Toney, I very much like the contrasting figure of the woods. Nice choice.

Barry Stratton
07-19-2008, 11:41 PM
Nice!

The real question is..........Intentional or funnel save???:D

Bernie Weishapl
07-19-2008, 11:46 PM
Great looking piece. I was going to ask the same question Barry.:eek::cool::rolleyes::D:p

Steve Schlumpf
07-20-2008, 10:39 AM
Interesting piece Toney - not real sure I like it but it is growing on me. The maple or walnut would have been great by themselves - especially if you had enough of that walnut! I do like the shape of the platter and finish!

Bonnie Campbell
07-20-2008, 10:50 AM

The real question is..........Intentional or funnel save???:D

Was my question too ;)

But I do like it :)

Max Acbuilder
07-20-2008, 11:15 AM
The first pic I liked the shape delicate and pleasing, over all well balanced. The outside slant on edge is beautiful. The second pic when I saw the inside was wonderful.. You kind of get lost in it. Only critique would be to blend the transition from maple to walnut. (not sure how) The sharp transition tales away from the grace and softness of the piece. I like it!

Toney Robertson
07-20-2008, 11:45 AM
To those who asked, it was TOTALLY intentional. I just decided to try something different.

Steve, we are on the same wavelength. When I brought this piece home I told my wife "I don't like it" but the more I have look at it I find myself liking it more and more. I don't think it will ever get to "favorite status" but I do think it is now out of the "I don't like it" category.

Max, Thank you for the kind comments and I like the idea of a transition but like you said "How" and more importantly, I think you would have to be careful about additional elements being a distraction instead of an improvement. I had thought about maybe a key dust ring or something similar and I can still do it but I just don't know.

Toney

Barry Stratton
07-20-2008, 12:03 PM
To those who asked, it was TOTALLY intentional. I just decided to try something different.......snip....

Excellent, thanks for the response!

Just thinking out loud, but consider adding a rim of the same wood as the bottom on the next one.

Very nice turning Toney!

Jim Evans
07-20-2008, 12:14 PM
Excellent, thanks for the response!

Just thinking out loud, but consider adding a rim of the same wood as the bottom on the next one.

Very nice turning Toney!

I like the idea of a rim made of the same material as the bottom. Question for the segment guys - would the movement from the "solid bowl" portion be too much if you made the rim out of segments?
I'd hate to find this our the hard way - I've got too much firewood already:D

Steve Mawson
07-20-2008, 7:57 PM
I believe that you have found a way to put the two woods together quite well. If you need another place to display, my coffee table has room.

Seth Poorman
07-20-2008, 9:47 PM
Nice toney
Im going to have to try this one....Good job !!:)

Brett Baldwin
07-21-2008, 3:02 PM
I like the basic idea. Good contrast and the maple isn't so unique that you took anything away from it. My only suggestion would be to align the grain differently next time. The walnut seems to oppose the flow of the maple to my eye. I'm thinking either a 90 degree rotation to have the two grains flow out of that crotch area or parallel with the top of the dish in the second picture. Just an opinion.