PDA

View Full Version : Busy Day

Dick Parr
04-24-2004, 8:27 PM
Been busy today and will pay for it tonight. :( Made one of each kind this afternoon, cork, chrome and silicon. They are walnut, mahogany and maple.

Thanks for looking

Todd Burch
04-24-2004, 8:30 PM
Dick, good to see you getting back into the shop. Stoppers look great! The finish really shines and the color is good too.

Have you ever shaped one like the finials on the tops of back legs of a Shaker rocker?

Dick Parr
04-24-2004, 8:43 PM
Thanks Todd and no I haven’t shaped one like that, I don’t think :confused: . I will have to look up a shaker rocker and see what it looks like. Might be a good shape for new stopper coming up! :D

Jack Hogoboom
04-24-2004, 8:47 PM
I really like the finish. What is it?

Dick Parr
04-24-2004, 10:23 PM
It's called Mylands High Build Friction Polish. I can put on 3-5 coats in about 5 min. It's very easy to work with.

Tyler Howell
04-24-2004, 11:15 PM
Wow! Great Pix Too! Awesome!

Lars Thomas
04-25-2004, 10:25 AM
Dick, those are good looking stoppers!! I have made a few cork stoppers, but I really like the stainless look. Where did you get the stainless 'hard-ware'. Thanks. Lars

Roger Turnbough
04-25-2004, 10:52 AM
It's called Mylands High Build Friction Polish. I can put on 3-5 coats in about 5 min. It's very easy to work with.
Dick,

I don't want to rain on your parade, but Mylands Frictions Polish is a shellac based product. The alcohol in the wine/spirits will definately damage this finish. I would suggest using something more like a poly or lacquer finish over the shellac/friction polish.

Roger

Peter Dufresne
04-25-2004, 11:23 AM
Nice stoppers

Dick Parr
04-25-2004, 12:09 PM
Lars, there are a couple of suppliers of the chrome stoppers. PSI, Woodcraft and Craft Supplies USA are a few. Remember to get the mandrel that goes with the chrome stopper. PSI is different then Woodcraft mandrel.

Roger, that has been a discussion over on the bottle stopper yahoo group a number of times. Most of us have decided that the little bit of wine that might get on one won't hurt. These stoppers are also used for oils which the Mylands won't hurt.

Tyler Howell
04-25-2004, 12:15 PM
[QUOTE=Roger Turnbough]Dick,

I don't want to rain on your parade, but Mylands Frictions Polish is a shellac based product. The alcohol in the wine/spirits will definately damage this finish. I would suggest using something more like a poly or lacquer finish over the shellac/friction polish.

Alcohol abuse!! Don’t be spilling any of that stuff!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Steven Wilson
04-25-2004, 12:49 PM
Roger,

Although alcohol will effect a shellac finish the damage is not instantaneous. A well applied, cured, shellac finish will take a lot of abuse including being in contact with alcohol. I have a couple of bottle stoppers (chrome bottom, turned top) finished with shellac whose finish has held up well for the last two years.

Chris Padilla
04-26-2004, 11:29 AM
As I recall, Dick, your little display rack is full. Where are these beauties going? :D

Dick Parr
04-26-2004, 2:51 PM
You are right Chris it was full, key word-WAS. :p Since then I have given 8 stoppers to a couple of charity org. to include in there fund raising auctions. I also mailed a coupled of them to a good friend today. :)

So, I made room for the new ones as you can see below. It will be couple of days before I make anymore since these last ones just about put me out of commission. After going to therapy today and a couple of days in the hot tub I should back at them again by the weekend.