PDA

View Full Version : Really Good BS Dust Collection??

Robert foster
07-19-2008, 10:36 PM
Does any BS have really good Dust Collection methods? I have a SC 16" and although I am pleased with the saw in general I am less impressed with its dust collection. I have been trying different "improvements" but so far have not found a satisfactory way to improve it. I have a 1 1/2 hp SC DC hooked up with 4" flex to the outlet in the lower section right below where the band enters the lower compartment.

Bob

Dave Tinley
07-20-2008, 12:32 AM
Bob-
I have a Rikon 18", and it has a dust port under the table at the blade opening, and one at the bottom wheel and I can say that it is not any better then my old Jet 14".
This seems to be the bane with band saws.
Somebody on one of the WW forms posted some pictures where they cut some pvc and retro fitted it under the table. They claimed it worked real good.
If I can find the link, or even the pics I will post. Or somebody out there may have it also.

Dave

Jim Becker
07-20-2008, 9:49 AM
The nature of the tool means that getting "great" dust collection is difficult. Having a large port just below the table helps. Some folks also like a combination of just below the table and lower wheel compartment ports.

Cody Colston
07-20-2008, 2:32 PM
Does any BS have really good Dust Collection methods? Bob

In a word...no.

Peter Quinn
07-20-2008, 8:08 PM
I built a little box of Lexan that sits just below the table on my 14" based on a design i found a few years ago for a 14" delta. The gentleman had made his of sheet metal, I found lexan easier to cut and weld accurately. It has a 2 1/2" dust port collected by a 4" hose connected with a reducer at the port, the insert in the table is perforated to allow air flow, it connects to a WYE that catches the 4" port in the bottom wheel cabinet as well.

I'm not going to claim its perfect, but with it I can resaw with minimal dust and clean up, without it I am quickly in a cloud I can barely see through. Forget the dust mask, I needed a fog light!:D

Perhaps the folks at festool can start developing a bandsaw next? Maybe a 12" with the capacity of a 20", perfect dust collection, portability...I doubt it.