PDA

View Full Version : 1947 Unisaw meets 2008 Wixey

Matt Meiser
07-19-2008, 8:14 PM
A while back I ordered the Wixey for my planer and a Wixey angle box. I posted a comment that I was torn between those two and the TS fence readout. Creeker Justin McCurdy PM'd me that he had a NIB Wixey TS fence readout he couldn't use that he'd sell me at a great price. I agreed and picked it up a couple months ago (at our WW club's Galoot meeting none-the-less!)

I finally got around to installing it today. Installation was very easy. I didn't use Wixey's brackets but mounted it directly to the bottom of my fence rail. I also chose to put the readout on the left side of the fence so I don't have to look around the fence lock to see it. Mounting the rail involved drilling and tapping 4 holes. To make alignment easy, I clamped the track in place and drilled throught the track and the fence at the same time with a No. 20 bit. Then I removed the clamps, tapped the holes in the fence with a 1/4-20 tap, and drilled the holes in the Wixey a little bigger so the bolts would pass through. Once I remounted the rail, I zero'd the readout, slid the fence to 13", as measured with a good ruler, and checked the reading. 13.005". Good enough for me!

glenn bradley
07-20-2008, 12:32 AM
That is sweet.

Don Bullock
07-20-2008, 4:51 AM
Very innovative Matt. Let us know how well it works on your projects.

Steve Clardy
07-20-2008, 12:32 PM
Nice and clean installation Matt