PDA

View Full Version : Maple Bowls

Dick Parr
04-24-2004, 7:51 PM
I made a couple of maple bowls today while I was waiting for the gule to dry in some stoppers that I was preparing to turn. The wood is from a pile they had last weekend at the campground that was being used for the campfire. Now I wish I had grabbed some of the bigger pieces and more of them. I was surprised at the spalting :rolleyes: in the wood since they were having such a hard time burning it at the camp site and it didn’t show any until I cut it in half.

They are 4” in diameter and one is 1-1/2’ high and the other is 2” high. They were fun little bowls to turn. The bigger one has some cracks in the end grain that I thought would be removed while turning :( .

Thanks for looking.

Jim Becker
04-24-2004, 7:54 PM
Outstanding spalting! (Which is also likely the reason it wasn't burning very well...wet and soft don't burn well!)

Tyler Howell
04-24-2004, 7:59 PM
OooH La La! Too nice Dick

Dick Parr
04-24-2004, 8:25 PM
Jim, thats what else suprised me as when I was turning it, the wood was very very dry. A lot of dust as it turned.

Thanks Tyler.

Wolf Kiessling
04-24-2004, 11:47 PM
I made a couple of maple bowls today while I was waiting for the gule to dry in some stoppers that I was preparing to turn. The wood is from a pile they had last weekend at the campground that was being used for the campfire. Now I wish I had grabbed some of the bigger pieces and more of them. I was surprised at the spalting :rolleyes: in the wood since they were having such a hard time burning it at the camp site and it didn’t show any until I cut it in half.

They are 4” in diameter and one is 1-1/2’ high and the other is 2” high. They were fun little bowls to turn. The bigger one has some cracks in the end grain that I thought would be removed while turning :( .

Thanks for looking.

It really is too bad you didn't get more and bigger pieces, Dick. That is some really fine spalted maple. I ran out quite some time ago and wish I had some more. Well, I have some nice spalted hackberry anyhow. Have turned an 11" bowl out of some of that and am waiting for the tung oil to dry so I can buff it out.