PDA

View Full Version : Hollowing Practice

Richard Madison
07-19-2008, 4:37 PM
Cedar elm, 5” x 11-1/2” o.a. Not sure what this was supposed to have been when started months ago, but it developed some cracks, got set aside, and just became hollowing practice. The cracks were stabilized w/ CA but are still unsightly. Also practice making 3/8” dia, tenon on bottom to fit 3/8” bore into top of practice pedestal to give a little bit of side grain glue joint. And might as well add that practice finial, the one with the flat top. Wall tk. is ¼”, thinning to 1/8” at the top. Wish my practice was as good as Mike’s practice. Practice comments are welcome.

Steve Schlumpf
07-19-2008, 9:49 PM
Richard - first thing I have to mention is that the photos are fairly dark and it's hard to see any real detail of the piece. 1/8 to 1/4" thickness is really good - I still have troubles getting my forms consistant and thin enough that they feel light weight when picked up. Interesting form(s) - that is one area in which we all constantly experimenting! Looking forward to your next one - they do get easier with each one you turn!

Bernie Weishapl
07-19-2008, 11:52 PM
Great looking piece Richard. The photo's are dark so hard to judge much. Wall thickness sounds pretty good. I try to leave the bottom a 1/2 thick for some weight and get the walls 3/8" to 1/4" all the was from the bottom to top. Sometimes that is hard to do though although the laser does help. I do measure a lot though if I don't use it.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-20-2008, 12:20 AM
Richard,

Nice first HF! Keep at it. You obviously have some hidden talent trying to come out.

I hope you don't mind, I took the liberty of working on your photos so folks could see them better.

Richard Madison
07-20-2008, 1:19 AM
Not the first Ken, just practice. Definitely should have brightened the pictures. Thanks for your help.