PDA

View Full Version : Stairs are done!

Glenn Clabo
07-19-2008, 3:47 PM
Spent last weekend redoing the stairs...and just getting around to posting some snapshots. The original stairs were part maple...part oak...two different stains... different heights...and just plain worn out. I ripped them all out and started from scratch. Stained and poly is just two coats...so maybe someday I'll get another one or two on.
Anyway...I have said and still say... stair builders are the best. AND I ain't one of them...but it's not bad.
(A certain MR. Clad says he has NEVER made any mistakes doing his stairs...and that I shouldn't tell anyone that a bored a hole wrong ;))

Ken Fitzgerald
07-19-2008, 4:37 PM
Nice looking stairs Glenn!

gary Zimmel
07-19-2008, 5:44 PM
I'll second what Ken said.

Looks like your helper at the bottom of the stairs agrees too....

Steve Clardy
07-19-2008, 6:33 PM
Ooooh that last comment was funny Glenn :D

Don't mind me, I'm just inspecting your work for booboo's, using a 10000x zoom software. ;)

Looks very nice Glenn.

Walt Caza
07-19-2008, 6:59 PM
Wow Glenn,
ripped out and started from scratch?
Now that sounds intimidating to me...
I have built many things, but have infinite respect for lots of woodworking I have never tried... boats, chairs and stairs!
Looks like it all worked out great, nice job.

Hopefully that will keep Dr.SWMBO appeased for a while...
I guess your Morris chair just moved up a spot on your too-long to-do list.
Thanks for giving us a peek,
Walt
:)

Jim Becker
07-19-2008, 8:13 PM
Wow....they look great, Glenn!

Don Abele
07-19-2008, 8:49 PM
Glenn, in the last three years we've owned our house I've built five sets of stairs: the new front porch (3 risers), the new back deck (2 sets with 5 and 7 risers), the bulk-head entrance to the basement (10 risers), and I just finished the set from upstairs into the basement (11 risers). All were custom rise/run combinations to fit within a certain distance with three stringers each.

With all of that experience, let me state this clearly: I HATE STAIRS!!! They are very frustrating and I was luckily making all utilitarian stairs that are either meant to look that way or will be covered with carpet.

In your case, you took it even further by having to be right on with no visible gaps. Excellent job. And I love the contrast between the oak and the white paint (it's one of my favorite combinations).

Be well,

Doc

Jack Camillo
07-19-2008, 10:18 PM
Big job, nice work. I have a set that needs redoing from scratch. Where did you say you live?

John Thompson
07-19-2008, 11:44 PM
Very nicely done, Glenn... I would add the 3rd coat as it's most definitely going to take a ton of traffic...

Sarge..

Bruce Page
07-20-2008, 12:21 AM
It sure looks like a Pro job to me. I wouldn't know where to start. :o
The pup looks happy, what else could you ask for!