PDA

View Full Version : Inside-Out Turning

Ken Fitzgerald
07-19-2008, 12:29 PM
I very much want to do some inside out turning. Is there a definitive book or DVD available?

I've watched Larry Marley's video and Michael Werner's AAW presentation video.

I would like some reading material for reference.

Thanks in Advance!

Steve Schlumpf
07-19-2008, 12:50 PM
Ken - I've got a couple of small PDF files on inside-out turning if you are interested. Just PM me with your email and I'll forward them.

Toney Robertson
07-19-2008, 1:45 PM
I very much want to do some inside out turning. Is there a definitive book or DVD available?

I've watched Larry Marley's video and Michael Werner's AAW presentation video.

I would like some reading material for reference.

Thanks in Advance!

OK, I will bite. What is "inside out turning"?

Toney

Ken Fitzgerald
07-19-2008, 1:54 PM
Toney,

Check out this link:

http://marleyturned.com/id126.htm

Ken Fitzgerald
07-19-2008, 1:59 PM
Toney,

Basically you take four pieces of wood than when you look at the ends...they are perfect squares. You glue them together....turn the the outside. Split them and turn each piece 180 degrees and reglue them. Now the former outside is the inside. Now you turn the new outside.

One of our members here turned a lamp that way. Robert McGowen IIRC. It's really neat.

Gary Max
07-19-2008, 3:22 PM
Ken this is also the method for making Christmas ornaments---you can mix the woods and do some really neat stuff.

Robert McGowen
07-19-2008, 4:17 PM
Ken, I found that you should just try it with some inexpensive wood and once you do it, it is 10 times easier the next time. The hardest part is trying to get the image that you want in the final piece while only carving out half of the image on the lathe. (You will see what I mean!) For the faster is better than safe and slow crowd, I put a little glue on the pieces and rubbed the pieces together and lined them up. I then put stainless steel band clamps around the ends and went to town with the lathe. Then turn the pieces inside out and re-glue the pieces together.

Start with 4 pieces of wood that are as square as you can make them. Also, make sure you number everything on the ends and also mark the outside corners so that everything lines back up in the correct orientation.

Here is the lamp I made the LOML for Christmas.

Richard Madison
07-19-2008, 4:47 PM
Cool lamp, Robert! Does anyone use brown paper in the joints of the first glue-up, or just saw them apart. Have done some in the past and forgot how I did it. The up-side of short term memory loss is -- you can enjoy reruns as much as you did the first time.

Jim Evans
07-19-2008, 6:05 PM
Cool lamp, Robert! Does anyone use brown paper in the joints of the first glue-up, or just saw them apart. Have done some in the past and forgot how I did it. The up-side of short term memory loss is -- you can enjoy reruns as much as you did the first time.

and hide your own Easter eggs

Ken Fitzgerald
07-19-2008, 6:44 PM
The up-side of short term memory loss is -- you can enjoy reruns as much as you did the first time.

and you only need one book and one movie!:D

Robert McGowen
07-19-2008, 7:53 PM
Don't you owe me $50 Richard? You remember, I'm sure you do.... :D:rolleyes:;):)

Curt Fuller
07-19-2008, 9:33 PM
Toney,

Basically you take four pieces of wood than when you look at the ends...they are perfect squares. You glue them together....turn the the outside. Split them and turn each piece 180 degrees and reglue them. Now the former outside is the inside. Now you turn the new outside.

One of our members here turned a lamp that way. Robert McGowen IIRC. It's really neat.

Sounds like you have the basics figured out. Now just give it a try.

Bernie Weishapl
07-19-2008, 11:55 PM
Ken you got it figured out. Now take some scrap wood and give it a go.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-20-2008, 12:01 AM
Bernie and Curt,

After Curt's nudge and some information Steve emailed to me, I just came in from the shop. I took a scrap piece of 2x2 and ran it through the suface planer until I took off the rounded corners and it was perfectly square. I cut 4 identical pieces from it and glued it up. I have a decision to make. Turn tomorrow or mow the yard. Sharon and I talked this evening. She returns Tuesday evening and she said she'd mow the yard Wednesday morning before the garbage pickup comes . Guess I'll turn tomorrow.:D Some decisions are really tough!:eek:

Barry Stratton
07-20-2008, 12:22 AM
I have a decision to make. Turn tomorrow or mow the yard.

Geez.....do BOTH. You ain't THAT old that you need a day of rest in between are ya????:p:p:D

Ken Fitzgerald
07-20-2008, 12:26 AM
Barry....whose side are you on anyway?:rolleyes: I'm doing laundry as we type. I've got dishes soaking upstairs. I've been batching it since early June. I'm getting a whole lot more respect for everything Sharon does for me! If you have an hour I"ll tell you how much I hate cooking and how much I hate eating my own cooking.

Barry Stratton
07-20-2008, 12:28 AM
Barry....whose side are you on anyway?:rolleyes:

:D:p;):rolleyes:

Richard Madison
07-20-2008, 1:07 AM
Did I hide some Easter eggs? When was that?

Have no movies and only one book. It's called "The Art of SomeKindaTurning", and requires glue and little pieces of wood, and I refer to it a lot.

Robert who?

Seriously, am indebted to Robert for some dandy mesquite and hope the knee is doing well.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-20-2008, 1:23 AM
Richard,

I'd keep an eye on Robert. Anybody who rides a motorcycle, has a pretty wife and wears a dewrag...well......:rolleyes::D

David Wilhelm
07-20-2008, 7:11 AM
Ken cutting your four sides from one length will give you something to glue up and turn. However keep in mind you wont have matching grains when you put the pieces together.

Darryl Hansen
07-20-2008, 7:43 AM
[quote=Richard Madison;892179]Cool lamp, Robert! Does anyone use brown paper in the joints of the first glue-up, or just saw them apart.

No just put the glue on the first 14 inch of each end then cut the ends off and the pieces fall apart. Next gluing is for the entire mating surfaces.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-20-2008, 10:00 AM
Ken cutting your four sides from one length will give you something to glue up and turn. However keep in mind you wont have matching grains when you put the pieces together.

Yup! I knew that but this is some scrap 2x2 that I'm using. I have never done any inside-out turning so as Curt and Bernie suggested. Learn on the cheap wood!

Jim King
07-20-2008, 10:22 AM
Ken: Here are some photos that may help.

Here are some photos of a bowl base. It souded like a helicopter when it was spinning inside out.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachme...7&d=1161877543 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=49017&d=1161877543)
Attached Thumbnailshttp://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=67254&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1183472365 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=67254&d=1183472365) http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=67255&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1183472373 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=67255&d=1183472373) http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=67256&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1183472626 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=67256&d=1183472626) http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=67257&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1183472716 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=67257&d=1183472716)

Chip Sutherland
07-20-2008, 12:22 PM
If she mows and takes the trash out, she's a keeper.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-20-2008, 1:06 PM
She mows, she takes out the trash, she could have retired 4 years ago but told me to get a contractor and have the shop empty shell built and she'd work until I could retire and she'd pay for the shop. She is a great cook whose recipes are often requested, she is a great wife, mother, grandmother and great grandmother. Though she's older than I am, you wouldn't know it by her actions. She's come through a lot in life before I met and married her. And Christmas Eve 2008 she will have put up with me for 40 years. She's my best friend and worst critic. I'm a foot taller and 100 lbs. heavier. Doesn't seem to make one difference when we get into an argument...Though in 40 years I believe the total arguments has been 7. I met her on a blind date on Saturday night. Sunday she brought her 2 kids from a previous marriage over to meet me and we went on a picnic. Monday, I took her to dinner and asked her to marry me. 8 days later I left for bootcamp after signing over my checking and savings accounts to her. 2 days after I got home from bootcamp, we got married. I firmly believe God looks after fools, babies and drunks. At one time I was lucky enough to qualify in all 3 classifications. I was 19 when we got married. I'm one lucky guy!

BTW.....In a few minutes I'll be mowing the yard.:D

Paul Downes
07-20-2008, 3:30 PM
Now Ken, does it really take all day to turn something?:D You must be pretty busy to have to negociate turning with the wife! Of course I just retired and my choices are.....nap......or maybe do something inthe shop.....or maybe nap.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-20-2008, 3:38 PM
After school got out early in June, at my urging the LOML left to spend most of the summer with her 85 year old mother. She returns late Tuesday evening. Considering everything I stated above, I don't want to let her down. I've kept the house clean, the yard mowed and the bills paid since she left.

I just finished trimming the lawn, now on with the mowing.

Turning....maybe later this evening if the 100 degree temps don't warm the shop up too much.

Brian Brown
07-20-2008, 4:10 PM
Have been thingking about trying something inside out, but just haven't found the right project yet. Your wife definitely sounds like a keeper. Mine is like that. Last week we stopped by the toy...er tool store to look at a dust collector, and she said just get one and stop wasting time. Every salesman in the store was right on her, and totally ignored me. She grew up in a lumber yard, and she is a dangerous woman in a tool/lumber store. I don't dare take her to a Woodcraft store, because our SUV can't fit all the wood she buys.

Enjoy your inside out turning; we are waiting for the pictures. Even more, enjoy the great wife. She sounds like one in a million.

Bernie Weishapl
07-20-2008, 4:18 PM
Ken your story sounds like a exact copy of mine. The only difference is 41 yrs. ago this December I asked my wife to marry me after we had been together 30 minutes or so. I left for boot camp and came home to get married and left again two days later. I signed my banking and savings accounts over to her. I haven't seen what a paycheck looks like in 41 yrs. I probably qualify for at least one of each of those classifications somewhere along the line.

I could be turning today but the kids are coming home so since the LOML bought me all those toys errrrrr I mean tools at the Symposium I figured I had better do my share around the house.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-20-2008, 5:12 PM
Well,

The good news:

The yard is trimmed and mowed and I only have 2 more loads of laundry to do and the dishes have been kept up.

The bad news:

My glue job failed so I've got to try to repair it. Maybe some turning Tuesday or Wednesday as Monday I'm already scheduled to work in the evening at a local medical center.

Oh well, the shop is a little too warm right now anyway.

Steve Mawson
07-20-2008, 7:51 PM
Pretty nice lady to mow the yard. Mine started the mower about 35 years ago and had trouble. I have mowed ever since, I guess the work does me good.

Larry Marley
07-22-2008, 10:21 PM
Here is an inside out pen made from a slim line kit.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-22-2008, 11:10 PM
Larry,

Your work is truly amazing!

Would you mind answering one question for me?

I've been told when you turn the inside portion you don't want to turn beyond 60% of the total width of the "cube". Is that roughly the figure you use for your Christmas ornaments?

Thanks

Larry Marley
07-23-2008, 12:40 AM
Thanks Ken,
the more you remove in the first turning, the larger the opening in the second. Using the 60% rule leaves more wood to work with for your final shape, and the final shape will be stronger.

In my Christmas tree ornament, I took a 1 1/4" square (2 1/2" when glued up)to 3/8" so the ornament has a large opening with little wood remaining.

For the pen I used a shallow cut to remove the width of the tube to leave an interior twice the diameter of the tube and a small cats eye opening.

Just go for it! use the 60% rule and use a back light to see the shadow.
Use the bevel with a firm hand with a light touch. After you get one under your belt, try another and remove more in the first stage, or change the shape in the first cut. It's fun.

Oh yea, wear a face mask.

Dewey Torres
07-23-2008, 1:03 AM
Very interesting thread. Thanks Ken and Marley.

I saw projects like these before and always thought they were carved:rolleyes:

Great little video w/ cool tunes to boot! Xmas in July.

Curt Fuller
07-23-2008, 8:54 PM
Ken, after you turn one, then try an inside out turning inside an inside out turning.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=31702&d=1139768657