PDA

View Full Version : A new controversy in MLB

James Carmichael
07-19-2008, 9:29 AM
Interesting story:
http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/story/769223.html

Lee DeRaud
07-19-2008, 10:23 AM
Much as I like wood, I've never understood the insistence on wooden bats in the majors. I realize that the aluminum bats currently used in amateur ball would be dangerous at pro pitching speeds, but that should be a workable technical problem. All that's really required is for MLB to have some kind of automated tester, similar to what the USGA uses to limit the velocity of golf balls.

James Carmichael
07-19-2008, 11:53 AM
Much as I like wood, I've never understood the insistence on wooden bats in the majors. I realize that the aluminum bats currently used in amateur ball would be dangerous at pro pitching speeds, but that should be a workable technical problem. All that's really required is for MLB to have some kind of automated tester, similar to what the USGA uses to limit the velocity of golf balls.

I'm sure it's tradition and a political hot-potato. Like they said in the article, despite the danger of maple bats, it's not likely anything will happen soon since everyone has to agree.

Besides, if Barry Bonds had broken Hank Aaron's record with aluminum, fans would probably be more upset over that than the steriods.

Lee DeRaud
07-19-2008, 1:25 PM
I'm sure it's tradition and a political hot-potato. Like they said in the article, despite the danger of maple bats, it's not likely anything will happen soon since everyone has to agree.
The political part of the problem isn't getting everybody to agree on a solution, it's getting everybody to agree there's actually a problem.

The problem itself is workable: simply design a machine to deliver a "standard" swing (modeled on Aaron's maybe), hit a bunch of baseballs with a selection of wood bats, measure the ball speed, and pick an upper limit. Then you can make a bat out of anything you want as long as it doesn't result in higher ball performance off the machine, and either (1) make it indestructable or (2) ensure it breaks in a safe manner. It's a whole lot easier than trying to develop and control safety requirements for wood bats.

A side effect of this process is that you can also then develop a "standard bat", and use it to calibrate the baseballs...end all the whining about whether the ball is "hotter" from year to year.

Ben Rafael
07-19-2008, 2:08 PM
You could do what you suggest to produce an aluminum bat that would have the same performance as a wood bat, however, it would be too easy to cheat and use a bat with better performance.
Anyway, Ball players are foolish, they dont realize that any given number of wooden bats will all perform differently, as everyone here knows that wood is not consistent.

Glenn Clabo
07-19-2008, 2:29 PM
Anyway, Ball players are foolish, they dont realize that any given number of wooden bats will all perform differently, as everyone here knows that wood is not consistent.

Ben...
Foolish? I don't think so. Most major league hitters can pick up a bat and tell you to a VERY small fraction how much it weighs. They are very precise in their requirements for the manufacture. They hone their handle to .001 of an inch so it fits their hands. With a couple of swings they know how well it will perform. They sometimes hit hundreds of balls a day. You have to be around these guys to fully understand how the really good hitters know about their bats. Of course there are some who just wing it...but they are rare.
I've seen Al bats shatter. You would of thought a bomb went off. There is no real answer when a batter nowadays can swing a bat at 110 mph...and hits a ball traveling at 97 mph. Ash bats used to just break...maple bats sometimes crack and then break. Al bats fatigue (crack)...and then break.
The sound of a wooden bat hitting a ball is the same as the scream of race car engines. Dangerous...but part of the thrill. Take either away...and there will be revolt.
P.S. - Metal isn't really something that can be engineered to do anything you want. It has it's limits and problems. We in the submarine and those in the aircraft world know that better than most.

Lee DeRaud
07-19-2008, 3:05 PM
Metal isn't really something that can be engineered to do anything you want. It has it's limits and problems. We in the submarine and those in the aircraft world know that better than most.We're not talking about "anything you want", we're talking about something that is basically a specialized hammer: not rocket science, just golf-club-level technology.

Yes, metal has its limits and problems, but it's a helluva lot more consistent and "tuneable" than wood. And unlike submarine/aircraft applications, a baseball bat can be allowed to fail, just as long as it does so at a low rate and in a relatively predictable manner.

Nor is metal isn't the only choice. Just because college/little-league/whatever bats use aluminum doesn't mean that's the correct or only answer.

David DeCristoforo
07-19-2008, 3:24 PM
"...I've never understood the insistence on wooden bats..."
"...we're talking about something that is basically a specialized hammer..."

Well I don't want to come across as being too opinionated here but aluminum bats suck. That metallic "clink" sound cannot compare with the solid "thwack" of a wooden bat connecting with a fastball. And what about the joy of watching a pitcher or a third baseman dodging the splintered end of a broken bat? The closest you are going to get to that thrill with a metal bat is hearing someone say "Man, he really connected with that one...didja see that? Dented his bat!".

Lee DeRaud
07-19-2008, 4:16 PM
And what about the joy of watching a pitcher or a third baseman dodging the splintered end of a broken bat?Yeah, I'll bet that was Steve Yeager's favorite part of baseball...

Bill Eicher
07-19-2008, 8:20 PM
According to the claims made at the Louisville Slugger factory many of the the "pros" come and choose their own wood blanks to be turned at the factory according to their own standards. Louisville has computer controlled lathes that can turn a bat in something like 45 seconds. They make aluminum bats at another location.

My very limited experience with baseball yielded only one injury. I was accidentally struck with a hollow plastic bat and needed a bandaid on my chin.

Greg Cuetara
07-19-2008, 9:04 PM
And what about the joy of watching a pitcher or a third baseman dodging the splintered end of a broken bat?

I went to a Portland Seadogs game tonight and saw two bats shattered. One of them barely made it out of the infield grass and the other the 3rd baseman really did have to dodge...he still made the play though.

There are composite materials out there which behave and look like wood but last quite a bit longer and are much safer. I would think these may be mandated at the LL through High school level. There has always been a contraversay regarding the pop off an AL bat and some kids have been seriously hurt and killed. If a bat can be manufactured to give similar properties of wood but last longer I would think it would be something worth investigating.

Tom Saurer
07-21-2008, 1:30 PM
Tonight I've got softball and will be using composite bats. No one really makes an aluminum bat anymore. They do have testing methods in place for non-wooden bats, to see how "hard" a ball can be hit with them.

I think this issue simply comes down to safety. Maple bats are a hazzard and should be banned. On the flip side I think the composite bats should be made so that they can't hit the ball as "hard". I've seen to many rockets up the middle that can hurt the pitcher. It seems like every year there is one or two pitchers who die each year.

I also think more netting should be in place at stadiums to prevent foul balls and broken bats from going into the crowd.

Like woodworking, baseball and softball should be safety first.