PDA

View Full Version : Any musicians/studio jockeys here???

Mitchell Andrus
07-19-2008, 8:44 AM
Tyler's thread has spawned a little interest, so lessee who's got game....

I play sax. Tenor, bari and bass. I play bass sax on a VERY regular basis with a mummer's band in NJ. I was member of the year in 2007!!!! We march in 24 parades a year and perform at least 20 senior's centers, hospitals a year.

Some truely awful videos at our website:

http://www.denvillestringband.com/

Tyler Howell
07-19-2008, 9:00 AM
I started playing the guitar in Jr high like every young male of the 60s. Played in garage bands through High school and solo-ed through college.
I began studio training 37 years ago because I new then I didn't have "the gift":(.

The aviation industry paid the bills, and let the wannabe axman/sound man gig on the side.

Retired now, so I'm working hard at both. Maybe some day I'll be a star.:rolleyes:

Ken Fitzgerald
07-19-2008, 10:16 AM
I took vocal lessons for 4 years. I sang 5 male leads in 5 operettas and started singing in a rock band at age 14. My first vocal teacher and I had an agreement. After a 1 hour lesson, we'd listen to 15 minutes of "My Music" and then 15 minutes of "his music". I introduced him to The Rolling Stones, The Beach Boys, The Beatles, etc.....He introduced me to Mozart, Bach, etc. The band lost it's bass player who moved to CA so I bought a bass and we kept on playing. Bass became a passion with me. I like those bluesy songs..those driving songs.....I hopped through several bands. When I moved to northern Illinois for a job on oil rigs with my Dad, I heard several bands out of Chicago. I quickly sold my equipment. I was never going to have that amount of talent or skill. Shortly there after, I got drafted and enlisted instead, met my wife and became an instant family of 4 on E-2 pay. 25 years later the LOML walked up to me and gave me the check book and said "Go buy that guitar you've been wanting."

I'm sitting here looking at my Fender Power Jazz bass and 300 watt amp. Since losing the hearing in my right ear due to a viral infection, I play maybe 3 or 4 times a year. I don't even want to chance losing what hearing I have left.

Music soothes the savage beast in me. Though.....I gotta admit.......this close to age 60....the beast isn't as savage as it once was!:rolleyes:

Butch Edwards
07-19-2008, 10:29 AM
...learned to play the recorder in 3rd grade, took up trombone 4-12th grades... picked up the guitar while in the Army...still playing the axe today(35+ yrs later). I don't gig.. no desire. I had to sell a couple Les Pauls to buy woodworking machines,when I wanted to start into that hobby. I still play daily, in the computer/music/hunting room, butat low volumes(thank the Lord for Master volumes.. ;)).

Mitchell Andrus
07-19-2008, 10:30 AM
The aviation industry paid the bills:rolleyes:

Tyler, pilot or other? My son has his licence, we took a 2.2 X-country yesterday. He's looking at UND, Embry.... He's not interested in the cockpit though, he'll be going for busness... more portable.

My brother in-law flys 777's for Air Canada.

Mitchell Andrus
07-19-2008, 10:34 AM
I don't even want to chance losing what hearing I have left.

I had to leave a community band for that reason. The trumpets caused my ears to ring for 2 days after every rehearsal.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-19-2008, 10:35 AM
Mitch.....Tyler retired from the FAA. He was a maintenance supervisor/manager for a large portion of the Midwest IIRC. Everybody just thought he was a silly guy skiing, sailing, playing his axe and doing a little woodworking. But NO....he was a pro!

Jim Becker
07-19-2008, 10:42 AM
Keyboard player since I was 4 years old. Haven't played "out" in a long time, but I still have my Kurzweil and will be putting it back in the house shortly now that I have space. I've also done some sound reinforcement work.

Jim O'Dell
07-19-2008, 2:51 PM
I took lessons back in the 60's for about a year before I got tired of what the teacher was teaching. :rolleyes: (The guy was a cousin to Hoyt Axton, and a very talented folk guitar player and singer, and music major at the local college) I played and sang in group of 3 at the BSU in college, very small time. All acoustic. My niece has my old Ventura 6 string. (see, I told you small time!!:D) But I still have my Conn 12 string in the closet. Sure love the way that guitar sounds. mybe I'll pick it back up one of these days. Jim.

David DeCristoforo
07-19-2008, 3:30 PM
"...The guy was a cousin to Hoyt Axton..."

I had a good friend named Victor who played sax. He used to live right next door to Ry Cooder who decided that he had talent and was teaching him stuff. But he pissed Ry off by being so flakey that Ry finally decided he was wasting his time. So Victor had to go back to playing the sax. Talk about blowing a good opportunity!

Walt Caza
07-19-2008, 6:37 PM
I have been a mostly rock drummer for 29yrs.
Prefer to play 'in', too much hassle to move my big kit.
No egos, just play along with my favs at concert volume at home.
Ya, I hear all the concerns about hearing loss, I have been trying to be
careful for the last two decades. What did you say??

I currently play maple Pearl Masters with a boatload of other shiny stuff.
My longtime heroes are John 'Bonzo' Bonham and Neil 'god' Peart.
I used to play a few hours daily, but now just when I can steal some time.
It pains me that the music I love is now considered classic rock!

I am also a hack guitarist...I will never be any good, and I will never quit!
(on guitar that is, I have learned my way around the drumkit by now)
I'm out with a flourish,
Walt

Butch Edwards
07-19-2008, 6:53 PM
I have been a mostly rock drummer for 29yrs.
Prefer to play 'in', too much hassle to move my big kit.
No egos, just play along with my favs at concert volume at home.
Ya, I hear all the concerns about hearing loss, I have been trying to be
careful for the last two decades. What did you say??

I currently play maple Pearl Masters with a boatload of other shiny stuff.
My longtime heroes are John 'Bonzo' Bonham and Neil 'god' Peart.
I used to play a few hours daily, but now just when I can steal some time.
It pains me that the music I love is now considered classic rock!

I am also a hack guitarist...I will never be any good, and I will never quit!
I'm out with a flourish,
Walt

with that attitude, you'll be better than you'll imagine!!!
and how about Mick Mason of Pink Floyd.. that guy is as rock solid as any drummer out ther, even @ his age!!!

Al Willits
07-20-2008, 11:36 AM
Started the guitar about 1963-4 and went from a folk group to a 9 piece fusion group (try putting that on your local VFW stage some time) and more different groups than I care to think of, mostly blues rock but did a stint in a country band once......and only once... hehe

Was lucky enough to have a good friend from high school who was a whiz on musical instrument repair, so I always ended up with some pretty interesting combinations.

Favorite axe was prob the 335 Gibson, Hoffman acoustic and a Gretch solid body model forgotten, also I had a D175 Gibson for awhile and that was one sweet sounding axe, Fender pre CBS Twin was prob favorite amp, it was modified a bit also.

Played till a brain abscess left me paralyzed in my left side and after rehab, just didn't want to start over again, sold all but the Hoffman and I pick that up occasionally to remind me I don't play anymore.

Great ride but its over for me.

Al

Mitchell Andrus
07-20-2008, 12:48 PM
Hey Al, every musician needs an audience. Be the best ear you can be... love every note and you'll make someone's day.

Tyler Howell
07-20-2008, 2:28 PM
Tyler, pilot or other? My son has his licence, we took a 2.2 X-country yesterday. He's looking at UND, Embry.... He's not interested in the cockpit though, he'll be going for busness... more portable.

My brother in-law flys 777's for Air Canada.
Hey Mitch,
Solo-ed many years ago and that was that on the flying side. Turned my wing verticle and started sailing.
Inspected NAV systems from the air for a short time.

UND is a good school. The FAA is hiring controllers!!
I hired on avionics tech from UND and worked with a lot of ATC from the school.

Judy Kingery
07-20-2008, 2:35 PM
Mitchell, intresting thread! I've played piano since I was five, through college did stage band and accompaniments, now teach piano lessons. It's fun. I enjoy playing and teaching, only bad thing about a piano is you can't just sorta take it with you like a guitar, ha! It's interesting to read what folks have said as I've always loved music and playing. Jude

Mitchell Andrus
07-20-2008, 2:55 PM
Hey Mitch,
Solo-ed many years ago and that was that on the flying side. Turned my wing verticle and started sailing.
Inspected NAV systems from the air for a short time.

UMD is a good school. The FAA is hiring controllers!!
I hired on avionics tech from UMD and worked with a lot of ATC from the school.

A youtube vid of him landing at 15 hours last August with his instructor. He's got almost 100 hours and 190 or so T/Ls now. He's just finishing up a complex endorsement in an Arrow. Cool plane. We flew 2.2 hours Friday. He's not doing too bad.

I don't think he's got the brass for ATC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIuQpboS2xw

Butch Edwards
07-20-2008, 3:31 PM
Started the guitar about 1963-4 and went from a folk group to a 9 piece fusion group (try putting that on your local VFW stage some time) and more different groups than I care to think of, mostly blues rock but did a stint in a country band once......and only once... hehe

Was lucky enough to have a good friend from high school who was a whiz on musical instrument repair, so I always ended up with some pretty interesting combinations.

Favorite axe was prob the 335 Gibson, Hoffman acoustic and a Gretch solid body model forgotten, also I had a D175 Gibson for awhile and that was one sweet sounding axe, Fender pre CBS Twin was prob favorite amp, it was modified a bit also.

Played till a brain abscess left me paralyzed in my left side and after rehab, just didn't want to start over again, sold all but the Hoffman and I pick that up occasionally to remind me I don't play anymore.

Great ride but its over for me.

Al

..you had some good gear,Al...;)
sorry to hear about the bad luck... but,you still have the spirit tho!!!

Al Willits
07-20-2008, 4:07 PM
"""""""""""
you had some good gear,Al...;)
sorry to hear about the bad luck... but,you still have the spirit tho!!!
"""""""""
Ya all them years of finding THE perfect combination and then enjoying playing it.
Killed me to sell it, but it also killed me to see it sit there getting dusty, tough choice but at my age then I knew I'd never get back to where I was.

Mitchel, you hit it, I now sit back and enjoy listening to music now, ain't all that bad....:)

Al...better to say I did it than never tried, no matter what the outcome.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-20-2008, 5:27 PM
Al,

I have a friend whose band was one of 8 in the country to play at Orlando at the Jimmy Dean/True Value Hardware Country Showdown. His band won the Idaho Playoffs, the Washington State Playoffs and then the regional playoff in California. He owns a local music store where I bought my guitar and amp. His parents are neighbors of mine. He wanted to do electronic repairs so I taught him some electronics and he bought an oscilloscope, an audio generator, multimeter, tube tester etc. and his store is now an authorized Fender service center. We are close friends.

Everytime I think about selling my Fender bass and amp, my wife and my friend are all over me. I still only play it 3 or 4 times a year, but Kelly and my wife Sharon refuse to let me sell it.

Butch Edwards
07-20-2008, 5:59 PM
Everytime I think about selling my Fender bass and amp, my wife and my friend are all over me. I still only play it 3 or 4 times a year, but Kelly and my wife Sharon refuse to let me sell it.

..as well they should... ;)

Dennis Peacock
07-20-2008, 10:16 PM
I learned to play rhythm guitar from a school friend of mine and by watching a TV show Hee-Haw. I never went anywhere with rhythm guitar and switched to bass guitar at age 12 and played semi-pro bass with a travelling quartet at age 14 and 15. I've never really taken any guitar lessons and never learned to read music. I learned how to read chord charts and such and I've been playing bass at our church for the past 6 years now. We play a very wide range of music from traditional church hymns to contemporary Christian music. The only trouble I have is with this white boy trying to play like he's got some black soul in him. ;) I can get real close, but one day I'll have the "soul" to slap and pop by bass like a good soul brutha should. :D

I've laid down several bass tracks for some recording studios and I've even sent my Nor. Bro Tyler one of the Jazz pieces I recorded about 2 or 3 years ago.

My how time flies. :)

Dick Rowe
07-21-2008, 12:35 AM
I have been playing guitar in classic rock cover bands since 1970. Actually, now that I think about it, I have been playing classic rock 'covers' since about 1990, before that I was in top 40 bands :)

My last gig was three piece, and we finally 'retired' in 2005 after almost 25 years together as a unit. We still get together a few times a year to do some revivals for charity, and are currently preparing to play on a cruise ship this November which is being jointly sponsored by our band and several other classic rock bands from my area. Should be a hoot. The biggest obstacle right now is getting gear from Wisconsin to Tampa. We had it covered a year ago in the planning stages, but the current gas crunch changed the costs to making it almost prohibitive.

I have a small (36 track) digital recording studio in my basement (which is in the part of my basement not occupied by my workshop) and have recorded my band and quite a few other local bands and musical acts (not just rock) over the past 20 years. The following link is to some of the stuff my three piece band recorded in my basement a few years ago.

http://www.cdrowe.com/studio_Tailspin.htm

Ken Fitzgerald
07-21-2008, 1:17 AM
Dick,

If you guys are as good live as you are on those recordings....I'd pay to party with you!

Nice sounds and my kind of music!

Al Willits
07-21-2008, 8:30 AM
"""""""
My last gig was three piece, and we finally 'retired' in 2005 after almost 25 years together as a unit
"""""""""

My neck of the woods that would come close to setting some sort of record...:D

Although usually not much fun, going though all them auditions sometimes were interesting, had a guy show up who said he could play anything....knew maybe 6 cords and played what I could only call free formless lead, then there was the key board player who showed up with out a keyboard, he said it was in hock and figured he use one of ours... the list goes on. :)

Al

Butch Edwards
07-21-2008, 8:34 AM
I have been playing guitar in classic rock cover bands since 1970. Actually, now that I think about it, I have been playing classic rock 'covers' since about 1990, before that I was in top 40 bands :)

My last gig was three piece, and we finally 'retired' in 2005 after almost 25 years together as a unit. We still get together a few times a year to do some revivals for charity, and are currently preparing to play on a cruise ship this November which is being jointly sponsored by our band and several other classic rock bands from my area. Should be a hoot. The biggest obstacle right now is getting gear from Wisconsin to Tampa. We had it covered a year ago in the planning stages, but the current gas crunch changed the costs to making it almost prohibitive.

I have a small (36 track) digital recording studio in my basement (which is in the part of my basement not occupied by my workshop) and have recorded my band and quite a few other local bands and musical acts (not just rock) over the past 20 years. The following link is to some of the stuff my three piece band recorded in my basement a few years ago.

checked out "China Grove"... excellent job for only 3 people.

Tyler Howell
07-21-2008, 8:58 AM
After all my whining and reading other reports here I have to admit, my music is in the top three of great sojurns in my life.
It has taken me more places and introduced me to more people. The one thing the gang from HS and college ask is "Do you still play the guitar". Only one said too bad. Good or bad It left an impression

I'm dragging it over to a friend's cabin in Cheeseville. (WI) for a little Fishing and R&R.
This retirement schedule is pretty grueling.
:rolleyes:

Mitchell Andrus
07-21-2008, 9:04 AM

Dick.... Sweet!!!! Gave a listen... A double-plus. (I do miss the horns in Draggin the Line though)

I'd kill to get a Chicago tribute band going (I play sax) tough thing to hold a bigger band together, esp w/horns.

edit: poked around --- NFL??????? Share, man. Do tell.

Tyler Howell
07-21-2008, 9:07 AM
After all my whining and reading the other threads, I have to admit, my music is in the top three of great sojurns.
It has taken me more places and introduced me to more people. The one thing the gang from HS and college ask is "Do you still play the guitar". Left an impression.

I'm dragging it over to a friend's cabin in Cheeseville. (WI) for a little Fishing and R&R.

Mitchell Andrus
07-21-2008, 9:09 AM
:rolleyes:

Suck it up, Ty. Somebody's got to do it.

Dick Rowe
07-21-2008, 9:28 AM
Thanks for the kind words folks. The sound is a result of three guys with absolutely no egos, playing together as a unit for over 25 years.

Butch .. to be honest, I did overdub some rhythm guitar on a few tracks for the recordings just because I could! Our live strength came from three guys who could all sing. We used vocal harmonies to compensate for extra instruments.

Mitchell .. the NFL thing was documented here http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=746629#post746629

Amy Leigh Baker
07-21-2008, 3:16 PM
I started playing the trumpet at 8, finished high school early, started a bachelor of music at Oberlin Conservatory in Ohio when I was 14, then moved to NYC after graduation. I recieved my Master's Degree in music from Queen's College two laters, all the while making a living in music. I played almost everything... soul, R & B, jazz, big-band, swing, ballroom dance bands, salsa, merengue, conpa (haitian music)... anything with a paycheck. After six years and traveling half the world I decided to move back to Alabama to live with my Mom, partly because of money issues, partly because of health issues, partly because I missed my family, & partly because music had become a job, not a passion anymore.

I haven't touched it since I moved back. I spent countless hours on stage for 16 years and grew to loath the music business. Not the music, but the business of music. I feel like a totally different person now then back then, but it doesn't affect me as much as most people think. I lived and saw more in 26 years than most people see in 100.

Now, time to go design my next WW project :)

Butch Edwards
07-21-2008, 3:57 PM
I started playing the trumpet at 8, finished high school early, started a bachelor of music at Oberlin Conservatory in Ohio when I was 14, then moved to NYC after graduation. I recieved my Master's Degree in music from Queen's College two laters, all the while making a living in music. I played almost everything... soul, R & B, jazz, big-band, swing, ballroom dance bands, salsa, merengue, conpa (haitian music)... anything with a paycheck. After six years and traveling half the world I decided to move back to Alabama to live with my Mom, partly because of money issues, partly because of health issues, partly because I missed my family, & partly because music had become a job, not a passion anymore.

I haven't touched it since I moved back. I spent countless hours on stage for 16 years and grew to loath the music business. Not the music, but the business of music. I feel like a totally different person now then back then, but it doesn't affect me as much as most people think. I lived and saw more in 26 years than most people see in 100.

Now, time to go design my next WW project :)

Hmmm... I don't see rock 'n roll listed there... maybe it's time you gave that a whirl !!!
..trumpets worked for Chicago Transit Authority!!! ;)
..not to mention the back-up for Lynyrd Skynyrd !!!

John Dodson
07-21-2008, 4:46 PM
I'm currently reliving my 2nd teenage-hood :cool: Played guitar in high school and college, got married, had kids, and had to earn a living -- so I put it away for 20 years. Oldest boy at age 12 wanted to learn guitar, so I had to drag it out of the closet and brush up, which got me re-hooked into playing again (that was 15+ years ago).

I have an interest in Country Blues (acoustic blues from the 20's and 30's) and run a website for all interested in that genre.... all 20 of them. ;) (http://weeniecampbell.com)

For the past year and a half, I've played guitar and sung lead in a Rockabilly/Rhythm and Blues (old style) band (http://slackabilly.com - We're just starting to record demos, so go easy on me.) Our goal is to play once a month and to make at least one person smile, laugh or dance. We do pretty well on all accounts.

I'm also playing/singing in a Bob Wills style Western Swing band - our first public performance will be October 7th. We have rhythm guitar, lead guitar, piano/sax player and upright bass. Looking for fiddle, steel guitar and horns -- so if you guys know of anyone. :)

What we've done to limit the wear and tear on aging bodies, other than pick and choose our venues, is to plug everyone into either one or two - depending on venue size - Bose L1 sound systems (also know as "the stick"). No amps, monitors, stands - sounds great, and makes gigging so much more fun. Our drummer also plays a Traps shell-less drum set - the whole kit, assembled, sits in the back of his Honda passport with room for a back passenger.

Cheers,

Amy Leigh Baker
07-21-2008, 11:59 PM
Hmmm... I don't see rock 'n roll listed there... maybe it's time you gave that a whirl !!!
..trumpets worked for Chicago Transit Authority!!! ;)
..not to mention the back-up for Lynyrd Skynyrd !!!

Yeah, rock-n-roll for sure. I was just at work and in a hurry. Chicago is one of my most favorite bands!! I charted lots of their music for the identical three piece section I had in a party band. But my all-time favorite musician was and still is is Sting. Sadly I didn't even know who he was until I'd been in NYC for a few months, but of course I knew some of his music. I went to the Windows XP debut concert Bill Gates threw in Bryant Park, and Sting was the artist. So cool. Noon on a weekday in the summer in a park in downtown Manhattan. And I had played with his trombone player at the time, knew of his bass player Christian McBride, and of course his trumpet player, Chris Botti, became the musical sidekick on the Caroline Rhea show on ABC.

The business not-with-standing, I am still a lover of music. Stevie Wonder, EWF, Chicago, The Police, Sting, Tower of Power... all classics with classic horn sections. Soul and R & B, disco, funk, rock-n-roll, hip-hop, rap (yes, I can appreciate rap in some ways), salsa, and the list goes on.

Mitchell Andrus
07-22-2008, 9:05 AM
Amy, my son (the younger one with the pilot's lic.) plays t-pet. He (a senior now) and his brass group at HS were selected to play at the NJ Music Educators Conference last fall. They had 2 months to prep and worked their buttons off.

The brass group The Dallas Brass held a workshop attended by 300 music teachers - the kids were invited to perform a few of the Dallas Brass numbers under their direction. For almost 3 hours the kids played and demonstrated teaching/learning techniques under a few directors, their own teacher and the Dallas guys. They were incredibly supportive of the kids and the teachers - a classy bunch of guys.

What a cool thing for HS kids to do.

In the evening The Dallas Brass held a 2 hour concert and oh, my - can these guys play!!!!

A vid of the kids playing Dallas Brass pieces at the HS concert (not great production value, but it's better than nothing) - the first tune is a bit droll, the second tune is a bit more fun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhVf53LJGAI
My son is 2nd from the right.

Dallas Brass: (for those who haven't heard near-perfection come out of a horn)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6KsLmOvIXg

jeremy levine
07-22-2008, 9:42 AM
Played drums (actually took lessons ) in high school and collage. The interesting part is I had almost a much fun refurbishing the drums. If I ever get around to it I have a 1950's Leedy snare drum to bring back to life, plus some really nice 1950's Zildjain's (cymbals)

Doug Shepard
07-22-2008, 11:39 AM
Played guitar since I was 8 or 9 and even made a living at it for about 5 years playing in cover bands. Haven't had it out of the case much in the last 10 years but I'll get back into it at some point. Did about 3 years of college as a music major then decided that was never going to get me a backup plan so switched and got a degree in Math/Computer Sci. Dabbled with keyboards a bit, and bass, and even sax for a couple years but was just so-so at that. Been wanting for a long while to get into instrument building but it seems there's always something else on my To-Do list.

BTW Amy - one of the best concerts I ever saw was Tower of Power in a small club (maybe 800 seats?) about 30 feet from the stage and they definitely Funked Me Up. Kupka's Bari Sax playing really punches up a horn section. It didn't hurt none either that they were warming up for Robert Cray.

Dennis Peacock
07-22-2008, 12:16 PM
Wow..!!!! The Dallas Brass ROCKS!!!!!

Greg Narozniak
07-22-2008, 12:31 PM
Played Drums in grammer school. Was never very good but I sure wish I still had that Ludwig silver pearl set and those 4 Zildjain A's that went with it ;)

Did a lot of live sound, worked for a very large Jersey Shore club in Belmar as the house sound tech. Also did some roadwork with a few big bands like The Wallflowers, Train, and some guy named Bruce :)

Mitchell Andrus
07-22-2008, 2:35 PM
Wow..!!!! The Dallas Brass ROCKS!!!!!

Dennis, in a live performance, they absolutely blow you out of your chair.

Dave Bender
07-23-2008, 1:54 PM
Started playing guitar and drums when I was a kid. Played percussion (Timpani and latin) in Orchestra's through highschool, some in community orchastra's later. I could play a fairly mean rhythm guitar but never was too inventive playing lead. I could copy fine but my mind didn't think well as a soloist. In early high school I started listening to Jaco Pastorius, Stanley Clarke, and James Jamerson and switched to playing bass - it's better on the bottom you know. Played bass professionally from late high school, through college, and grad school. Most of the time it paid the rent.

During that time I also worked in radio (dj, engineer, music director for a bit) mainly public but some commercial stints too. While doing some session work I ended up learning a fair bit of recording and ended up doing live broadcast work locally (big band Jazz broadcasts for WEMU, Montreux Detroit Jazz Festival) as well as some assistant engineering work nationally (NPR - Music of the Black Church, New Years Eve Jazz Alive, CBS - Tommy Hearns Fight, Detroit, etc).

During my working life I played out some on bass and guitar but eventually started playing more acoustic music. I learned mandolin, octive mandolin (i.e. Irish Cittern), tenor banjo, and some fiddle and played a fair bit of traditional Irish, English, American Old Time, and other mainly acoustic styles. Played with a couple of good groups in Houston and enjoyed playing festivals (North Texas Irish Festival, Houston IFest, etc) as well as with friends in a park or buskin down at Galveston.

Later, work took me oversea's and I ended up getting the playing itch again. So, back to playing bass with large amps on the weekends for fun and profit. This time with much better gear because I was making some serious coin with the day job.

Well back to states now and raising kids. It seems that I play music seriously for a decade, give it up for awhile, and then get back in to it for a decade. I'm starting to play more and practice. Need to work some damage out of my fingers but they're starting to get back into the grove again. I'm starting to put the studio back again and the basement is taking shape. Hopefully the kids will start to join me on some tunes.

The current rigs are

Sobell archtop guitar, Sobell octive mandolin
Ovation electric mandolin
My great gradfathers old fiddle (no idea who made it, was rebuilt by Bill Northcut and sounds great for trad music)
1926 Vega Style X no 9 tenor banjo
Clevenger Upright bass
Alembic Spoiler
Warwick 5 string
Fender P-bass, fretless
Taylor AB-1 bass
Taylor 810 (1989 model worked on a few times by Taylor - love this)
Taylor 914
Baby Taylor (son learning on this one)
Fender Custom Shop Richie Sambora Strat
Telecaster (I made the body, neck from a supplier, cool electronics)
Gibson ES-336 (like a 335 but Custom Shop model)
1965 Moserite VI Standard
a couple of mid 60's strats in various states of playability (bought in the mid 70's for cheap)

Amps
Two SWR SM-900 bass amps that I can split apart or use together with 2 2x10, and 2 4x10 SWR cabs.
Little GK B150 amp (practice or onstage in an acoustic gig).
Marshall Studio 15
Marshall 100w/ch rack mounted amp
Marshall JMP-100
Marshall 1960A cab w/greenbacks
Lexicon guitar pre, Marshall pre, a few other preamps
Fender Blues Deluxe
SWR California Blonde
Roland Keyboard Amp

Recording
Yamaha 02/R with 24T of Alesis ADAT - Ok, it's fairly old school now but it still works great.
A couple of Lexicon, DBX, Manley, TC Electronics, Ensoniq effects units that work in the studio or go out in the bass rig.
Neuman U-86, KM-86, AKG, Sennheiser, and Sure microphones. Neuman's were purchased a long, long time ago and really are great to have - way to expensive to buy new now.

Keyboard
Ensoniq TS-12. Still works, too bad it's orphaned. Don't know what I'll replace it with when it dies.
ASR-10 sampler (has a couple of fantastic drum kits)
KAT (need something to pound the beat on in midi)

Butch Edwards
07-23-2008, 8:27 PM
Started playing guitar and drums when I was a kid. Played percussion (Timpani and latin) in Orchestra's through highschool, some in community orchastra's later. I could play a fairly mean rhythm guitar but never was too inventive playing lead. I could copy fine but my mind didn't think well as a soloist. In early high school I started listening to Jaco Pastorius, Stanley Clarke, and James Jamerson and switched to playing bass - it's better on the bottom you know. Played bass professionally from late high school, through college, and grad school. Most of the time it paid the rent.

During that time I also worked in radio (dj, engineer, music director for a bit) mainly public but some commercial stints too. While doing some session work I ended up learning a fair bit of recording and ended up doing live broadcast work locally (big band Jazz broadcasts for WEMU, Montreux Detroit Jazz Festival) as well as some assistant engineering work nationally (NPR - Music of the Black Church, New Years Eve Jazz Alive, CBS - Tommy Hearns Fight, Detroit, etc).

During my working life I played out some on bass and guitar but eventually started playing more acoustic music. I learned mandolin, octive mandolin (i.e. Irish Cittern), tenor banjo, and some fiddle and played a fair bit of traditional Irish, English, American Old Time, and other mainly acoustic styles. Played with a couple of good groups in Houston and enjoyed playing festivals (North Texas Irish Festival, Houston IFest, etc) as well as with friends in a park or buskin down at Galveston.

Later, work took me oversea's and I ended up getting the playing itch again. So, back to playing bass with large amps on the weekends for fun and profit. This time with much better gear because I was making some serious coin with the day job.

Well back to states now and raising kids. It seems that I play music seriously for a decade, give it up for awhile, and then get back in to it for a decade. I'm starting to play more and practice. Need to work some damage out of my fingers but they're starting to get back into the grove again. I'm starting to put the studio back again and the basement is taking shape. Hopefully the kids will start to join me on some tunes.

The current rigs are

Sobell archtop guitar, Sobell octive mandolin
Ovation electric mandolin
My great gradfathers old fiddle (no idea who made it, was rebuilt by Bill Northcut and sounds great for trad music)
1926 Vega Style X no 9 tenor banjo
Clevenger Upright bass
Alembic Spoiler
Warwick 5 string
Fender P-bass, fretless
Taylor AB-1 bass
Taylor 810 (1989 model worked on a few times by Taylor - love this)
Taylor 914
Baby Taylor (son learning on this one)
Fender Custom Shop Richie Sambora Strat
Telecaster (I made the body, neck from a supplier, cool electronics)
Gibson ES-336 (like a 335 but Custom Shop model)
1965 Moserite VI Standard
a couple of mid 60's strats in various states of playability (bought in the mid 70's for cheap)

Amps
Two SWR SM-900 bass amps that I can split apart or use together with 2 2x10, and 2 4x10 SWR cabs.
Little GK B150 amp (practice or onstage in an acoustic gig).
Marshall Studio 15
Marshall 100w/ch rack mounted amp
Marshall JMP-100
Marshall 1960A cab w/greenbacks
Lexicon guitar pre, Marshall pre, a few other preamps
Fender Blues Deluxe
SWR California Blonde
Roland Keyboard Amp

Recording
Yamaha 02/R with 24T of Alesis ADAT - Ok, it's fairly old school now but it still works great.
A couple of Lexicon, DBX, Manley, TC Electronics, Ensoniq effects units that work in the studio or go out in the bass rig.
Neuman U-86, KM-86, AKG, Sennheiser, and Sure microphones. Neuman's were purchased a long, long time ago and really are great to have - way to expensive to buy new now.

Keyboard
Ensoniq TS-12. Still works, too bad it's orphaned. Don't know what I'll replace it with when it dies.
ASR-10 sampler (has a couple of fantastic drum kits)
KAT (need something to pound the beat on in midi)

SWEET GEAR!!! I'd love to hook up and play some of that stuff...:D
all I gots is some Les Pauls/Engl cab/Soldano amp..assorted stomp boxes... oh yeah, and a ES-135 LE with 57 Classics... where you at?