PDA

View Full Version : Help a Brother in Need

Jack Hogoboom
04-24-2004, 4:48 PM
I've been doing a little home improvement work today, replacing some cheap hollow core doors with some nice six panel pine doors.

Unfortunately, I drilled out one of the door holes about a half inch off. I kept the blank I cut out with the hole saw, but it's too small to just glue in.

I thought about turning a blank on my lathe and plugging the hole that way (the doors will be painted so any grain mismatch isn't all that relevant).

Any suggestions for how to fix this problem would be greatly appreciated (both by me and my wife).

Thanks,

Jack

Jim DeLaney
04-24-2004, 5:07 PM
Turning a new piece to plug the hole is probably your best bet.

Another alternative would be to wrap some veneer (wet it first to make it more flexible) around the original plug to make a snug fit.

You might even be able to wrap some thin cardboard around it, instead of veneer, since you'll be painting it. Whichever method you use, just use some yellow glue to secure it.

Carl Eyman
04-24-2004, 5:51 PM
If you have one of the router pattern cutting bits that have the removable bushing for inlay work, you might consider that. You still could plug the hole (perhaps with the original cut outs doctored up with cardboard or veneer) but lay a ~1/8" inlay over it. I think the patch will be less noticeable.

Tyler Howell
04-24-2004, 8:18 PM
I was thinking turning a plug or maybe a dutchman might not be as obvious????
Let us know how it turns out.

Todd Burch
04-24-2004, 8:26 PM
Jack, you could put the undersized plug back in there, and with some shims, wedge it in place with some expanding poly glue. Fill all around the plug with additional wood and poly glue, since you'll be drilling back through it 1/2" from your original mark. Wet the wood pieces, the plug, and the surrounding hole walls so the poly glue sets faster.

After the glue sets, sand both sides. Wood filler or bondo any voids. Once that is set, drill new hole in correct spot ;)

Todd

Jack Hogoboom
04-24-2004, 8:44 PM
Guys,

Thanks for all the tips. I'll tackle the repair tomorrow and let you know how things turn out.

Why is it that I am the only one here that ever screws things up?

Jack

Mike Evertsen
04-24-2004, 9:09 PM
Guys,

Thanks for all the tips. I'll tackle the repair tomorrow and let you know how things turn out.

Why is it that I am the only one here that ever screws things up?

Jack
I have plenty of screw ups I just quit fixing the small ones it adds charater ;)

Tyler Howell
04-24-2004, 11:23 PM
We don't tell anybody unless it's a friend that screws up.:o :o

Todd Burch
04-24-2004, 11:38 PM
Jack, how do you think we know how to fix all these things? Been there - done that!!

aurelio alarcon
04-25-2004, 12:49 AM
I was thinking turning a plug or maybe a dutchman might not be as obvious????
Let us know how it turns out.Hi Tyler, what is a dutchman?

Tyler Howell
04-25-2004, 8:50 AM
Hi Tyler, what is a dutchman?Hey Aurelio,

A dutchman is a sail control system on a boat:p :p .

Tommy S. of TOH showed how to mortise in a patch with a router. Tried it, It works. The same template cuts the mortise and patch by adjusting the collar size. I'm sure it can and is be done with sawed stock and a chisel, but we would have to go over to the Neander section to discuss it.:D

Charles McKinley
04-26-2004, 4:23 PM
How about lowering the mortices for the latch 1/2" and leaving the door knob hole where it is? Just a thought.