PDA

View Full Version : mystery wood vase

mike fuson
07-18-2008, 8:10 PM
Don't know what species it is, but its been sitting dry for several months now. Measures 4 1/2 wide x 5 high. Shellawax finish. I'd be interestd to know what the name of the wood is if anybody has a clue. It grows beside the roads here, doesn't get very big and is very flexible when green.
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u31/MikeFuson/hollow%20forms/mysteryface.jpg
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u31/MikeFuson/hollow%20forms/mysterytop.jpg

robert hainstock
07-18-2008, 8:32 PM
Is it realy hard, then it might be. Some of that stuff grows in your neck of the woods. Very nice HF Mike. Like what you did with it. :D:D
Bob

Steve Schlumpf
07-18-2008, 9:02 PM
No idea on the wood Mike but that sure is one beautiful hollow form! Good looking wood and finish - but you really nailed the form! Stunning work - once again!

So, have you thought about starting your own turning classes? I am sure there are a number of folks here that would sign up!

Mitchell Cholewinski
07-18-2008, 11:17 PM
Mike
Can't help with the kind of wood it is but you sure made a nice form out of it. Nice job. Mitch

mike fuson
07-18-2008, 11:49 PM
No idea on the wood Mike but that sure is one beautiful hollow form! Good looking wood and finish - but you really nailed the form! Stunning work - once again!

So, have you thought about starting your own turning classes? I am sure there are a number of folks here that would sign up!

I just found out that the wood is Mimosa.
Steve, I guess I still think of myself as a student instead of a teacher. One of the members here, Paul Rains, did come by the shop recently when I was turning. Did get to show him a few tricks of the trade and enjoyed meeting him and the turning visit. Guess you'll have to ask him if I was a good teacher. Don't know maybe someday it will happen.

Jim Evans
07-18-2008, 11:51 PM
Mike,
Take a picture of one of the trees, leaves - that would be lot easier to determine the species than the just the wood.
I took classes in college on wood ID - it is really hard w/o looking at the end grain with a magnifying glass. Also had a class in IDing with leaves and one with just the twig. Leaves was by far was the easiest.

Bernie Weishapl
07-18-2008, 11:53 PM
Great looking HF Mike. The wood is beautiful as is the form.

Bill Wyko
07-18-2008, 11:58 PM
It's no mystery, It's another beautifuly done piece by Mike Fuson. You really know how to make an eye pleasing vessel. Perfect form that really lends to the grain of the wood. Great job on the opening too. Another A++ Mike. Thanks for posting it.

Jim Becker
07-19-2008, 10:54 AM
If the leaves are very large, I'd consider catalpa from the look of the finished wood, but no matter what, that's a beautiful piece! DO more!