PDA

View Full Version : Tx Black Ebony

Gary Max
07-18-2008, 6:44 PM
Here's a little vase that I turned today---Texas Black Ebony.
The crotch really gives this some personality.
It is just wiped down with oil for right now----she still needs to be buffed out.
Hope you enjoy as much as I did turning it.

Steve Schlumpf
07-18-2008, 7:47 PM
Gary - this little vase sure has some personality! Great looking wood, good form and finish! Hope you have some more of this stuff around! Thanks for posting!

Bruce Pennell
07-18-2008, 7:58 PM
Gary thats some wild wood, great job...Bruce

Jim Becker
07-18-2008, 8:21 PM
Very kewel wood, Gary! Nice!

robert hainstock
07-18-2008, 8:28 PM
realy nice stuff there Gary. Love what yuo did with it. What is TX Ebony? We don't have anything like that up here uin the North woods. :):):)
Bob

Gary Max
07-18-2008, 11:00 PM
We had a vistor last week from Tx and he brought me a real nice pile of wood.
This is the smaller of two Black Ebony blocks ---real heavy---looks like it's going to take a finish nicely.
I got some Pecan----Mesquite----Campor----and more
Of course I made sure he left here with a good pile of wood himself-----:)

Bernie Weishapl
07-18-2008, 11:50 PM
Great job on some beautiful wood Gary.

Chip Sutherland
07-18-2008, 11:52 PM
Texas ebony is a wood all to itself in biology. Tejas ebonas (sp?). I have one piece left. It's hard and has really cool brown swirls in it. The sapwood contrast is hard to keep because the density between sapwood and heartwood is really different. I usually have to turn off the sapwood because it splits off anyway. I haven't had the heart to use any CA to try to keep it on lest I spoil the outcome

Gary Max
07-19-2008, 4:58 AM
Chip---Ca works just fine----that crotch is sapwood and bark----like you said --it will not stay there by itself.