PDA

View Full Version : Color Fill Residue

Gary and Jessica Houghton
07-18-2008, 6:05 PM
We etched into the top of a jewelry box from China (one of those pretty nice looking but inexpensive types). We then used gold color fill (from Laserbits) in the etched areas. After rubbing on the color fill, waiting 3-4 minutes, and cleaning excess with rubbing alcohol, we are left with what appears to be a residue from the color fill. We have tried more alcohol, pledge muti-surface cleaner and water with no luck. :confused:

Any suggestions for removing this residue?

Darren Null
07-18-2008, 6:54 PM
Wd40........

Mike Null
07-18-2008, 9:36 PM
Try mineral spirits or turpentine.

Mark Winlund
07-19-2008, 10:00 AM
You need to put a coat (0r 2 or 3) of qick drying spray lacquer over the just engraved surface before you color fill it. Then clean off the excess.

The pores in the wood will not soak up the excess that way.

Mark

Jerry Ervin
07-19-2008, 10:48 AM
I second the WD40.

It works.

Angus Hines
07-19-2008, 12:08 PM
WD40 ...... it's not just for squeaks anymore.:D

Mark Winlund
07-19-2008, 12:34 PM
I'm not sure who brought up WD-40, but if you spray it on bare wood, you will ruin the piece. If the jewelry box is wood and unfinished, it will be a disaster. If it is finished, lasering will expose the wood grain in the letters. If you try to clean the letters with WD-40, the oil will soak into the wood, and go sideways. If you want clean, crisp lettering, you must seal the engraving before using any filler material. The ideal sealant is spray lacquer... either gloss or satin. The filler material should be a waterbased material... either acrylic or latex. Doing it this way makes it easy to clean off the excess using a paper towel or a damp rag. The water will not affect the lacquer sealant.

This procedure is for wood items, not plastic.

Mark

Darren Null
07-19-2008, 1:21 PM
Good point. I'd just been playing with a laquered chinese box, so that came to mind...and WD40 would clean residue from the laquer just fine. Also from varnished wood if you're careful not to let the WD40 seep into any raw wood.

Good catch Mark.