PDA

View Full Version : Power cord question

Rob Grubbs
07-18-2008, 5:14 PM
I need a quick education on 220V power. I just got a new Grizzly bandsaw and it didn't come with a power cord. Can someone tell me which wires go to which terminals on the plug? My shop has the 220V outlet with a round hole and a horizontal and vertical blade. My thoughts are the green goes to the round, the black goes the horizontal, and the white goes the the vertical. Can anyone confirm this or point me in the proper direction? :confused:

Tom Veatch
07-18-2008, 5:22 PM
Green in the power cord goes to the round (ground) terminal. Each of the other two wires will see 110/120 volts relative to ground (220/240 to each other) and switch polarity 60 times a second so it doesn't matter which color, other than green, goes to which flat terminal.

Rob Grubbs
07-18-2008, 5:23 PM
Many thanks Tom. :D

Phil Sanders
07-18-2008, 5:52 PM
Rob:

for more info than you asked about.......

NEMA = industry group that sets standards for electrical plugs and jacks, National Electrical Manufacturer's Association.

These standards by NEMA is approved (and normally adopted) by the National Electrical Fire Safety people.

PDF file link:
www.hubbellonline.com/wiring/bryant/pdf/b/b5.pdf (http://www.hubbellonline.com/wiring/bryant/pdf/b/b5.pdf)

Note: G = Ground; W=White in chart.
X, Y, Z = three Phase electrical stuff

From your description you are most likely talking about a NEMA 6-20 plug which is a 20 amp max circuit, 3-wire, 2 pole (two 120VAC to ground wires which when combined are 240 VAC between each other) with a grounding wire.

As Tom stated, the wiring of the two "HOT" terminals is not specified for the 6-20P plug.

Phil

Rob Grubbs
07-18-2008, 7:21 PM
Phil,
Yes, it is a NEMA 6-20 plug. I got it wired up now and the saw is humming like a champ! Good information, thanks. I am sure it will come in handy in the future. I am not very knowledgeable in 'lectricity. :rolleyes: