PDA

View Full Version : what tree to PLANT?

julie Graf
07-18-2008, 5:02 PM
I'm in Western PA, and would like to plant a native species in my side yard. there is not much space between me and the house next door, which is the reason I want a tree there. To block out the people next door.

seriously though, we are loosing a HUGE maple that both provides some cover from the people next door and shades our property. But, it is coming down because it has grown large, is dying, and it's limbs overhand both properties, and extends over the neighbors house.

So the replacement tree should be something that can be near (there is about 20 feet between properties) both houses, and on a slope. We would like shade from it, and have it be fairly fast growing if possible.

Any ideas?

thanks!

Terry Achey
07-18-2008, 5:46 PM
Julie,

Redbud grows quickly and doesn't get TOO huge (smaller than typical Maple) I planted one two years ago and this year it really took off. There are many species for this zone that may fit your situation. I would talk to a knowledgable person at a local reputable nursery.

Terry

Martin Shupe
07-18-2008, 5:50 PM
American sycamore or tulip poplar, both grow fast.

Check with local county extension agent to see what he thinks might work well for your needs.

Sean Troy
07-18-2008, 6:51 PM
I agree on the Redbud.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-18-2008, 10:01 PM
Martin gave you some pretty sage advice. Contact the local County Ag Agent.

Butch Edwards
07-19-2008, 1:37 PM
I have 4 Kentucky Coffee trees in my VERY sloped yard(this IS W.Va.). had to cut down a 5th one, due to storm damage..it was over 70 ft tall,as is 3 other males that grew with it. the female is only about 30' and produces the seed pods. these trees are old(the one I cut down had over 80+ rings), have withstood high winds, give good shade...but are dirty in the fall. I can send you seeds if you're interested....lemme know

Al Wasser
07-19-2008, 1:44 PM
While not native, you might consider a fruit tree. You can get them in dwarf, semi-dwarf and full size and they are reasonable fast growing. And, sometimes you get something to eat. Take a look at Starks website for ideas of what is available

Ted Calver
07-20-2008, 8:44 PM
Google fastigiate trees and consider some of the columnar cultivars of natives. Here in our area we use Armstrong Maple, Princeton Sentry Ginkgo, Hightower Willow Oak where space is at a premium.

Bob Moyer
07-21-2008, 9:40 AM
I'm in Western PA, and would like to plant a native species in my side yard. there is not much space between me and the house next door, which is the reason I want a tree there. To block out the people next door.

seriously though, we are loosing a HUGE maple that both provides some cover from the people next door and shades our property. But, it is coming down because it has grown large, is dying, and it's limbs overhand both properties, and extends over the neighbors house.

So the replacement tree should be something that can be near (there is about 20 feet between properties) both houses, and on a slope. We would like shade from it, and have it be fairly fast growing if possible.

Any ideas?

thanks!

I second the choice as to the Redbud, other choices could be a Royal Empress Tree or a multi trunk River Birch

Randy Cohen
07-21-2008, 10:08 AM
a Bradford Pear might be suitable.

Prashun Patel
07-21-2008, 10:20 AM
I wouldn't do a Bradford Pear. They grow too dense and in 15 years, you'll have a big problem. I saw it happen in a lot of developments in my area; BPears were the street-tree-du-jour for the big box developers in the 80's in central NJ.

Finding something that fits in a 20ft diameter AND offers a lot of shade might be a little tough. Have you considered evergreens? White Pines or Thuja (arborvitae) will grow quickly and provide a lot of privacy. They're hearty and are pretty much maintenance-free.

Bob Moyer
07-21-2008, 10:53 AM
a Bradford Pear might be suitable.

NOOOOOOO - I have lost 4 of these in the past 2 years due to early ice and snow here in PA. Last year I lost the nicest one; I had tied the areas where the others split with rope and said to my wife; the tree holds it's leaves later than most and I said to my wife if we get an early snow the tree is in trouble. It split in three areas.

Jerome Hanby
07-21-2008, 11:20 AM
We have something in the south that we call "Hate Your Neighbor Trees". They're usually Leeland Cyprus or Green Giant Thungias (spelling?). The later says it will grow up about 5 feet a year and cover about that much out, so planting a row on 5 foot centers should give you a solid wall in a few years. I've seen a website showing the zones where they grow well and giving specifics on what kind of growth you can expect.

Bob Moyer
07-21-2008, 11:35 AM
We have something in the south that we call "Hate Your Neighbor Trees". They're usually Leeland Cyprus or Green Giant Thungias (spelling?). The later says it will grow up about 5 feet a year and cover about that much out, so planting a row on 5 foot centers should give you a solid wall in a few years. I've seen a website showing the zones where they grow well and giving specifics on what kind of growth you can expect.

What happens if the neighbor moves???

Jerome Hanby
07-21-2008, 12:02 PM
I think I can find it in my heart to hate the new neighbors should the old ones move.

Ken Garlock
07-21-2008, 12:19 PM
Hi Julie.

When we lived in northern Ohio, south of Akron, we planted a Metasequoia glyptostroboides, more commonly known as a Dawn Redwood. They make a nice specimen tree. We bought ours from Wayside Gardens. I wish they would grow down in this neck of the woods.

For information on the tree, take a look at this website (http://www.dawnredwood.org/INFORMATION.htm).

Lee Schierer
07-21-2008, 12:26 PM
Might I suggest a flowering crabapple. They grow fairly fast, but live a long time and look nice in the spring.

julie Graf
07-21-2008, 12:44 PM
thanks for all these great suggestions! i knew you creekers would have some good ones. some of these i don't know, so i will look up.

i'm making my list.
I have also thought of sassafrass - anyone have an opinion on that?
I have a few redbuds growing in various places around the vacant side yard that the city owns and won't let us do anything too but does not maintain. i wonder if they transplant well?
the tree will be cut in October. So i'll have time to contact some experts around here too.
i am also interested in the ginko, even though it's not native to PA. i like them and their growth habit seems to fit.

i love the "hate your neighbor" comment. While I don't hate my neighbors, they do have 11 dogs and 7 cats. so the more cover, the better.

good fences (and trees) make good neighbors. i am planning on both. ;)

Prashun Patel
07-21-2008, 12:57 PM
We have native sassafras in our backyard. They grow like weeds, but are spindly and gawky looking; but that could be because they're growing in the understudy of giant oaks and beeches.

The BEST thing about sassafrass IMHO is the day the they're removed and ground up. That arome is TO DIE FOR!!!

Stephen Tashiro
07-21-2008, 1:55 PM
It's worth listing the goals of design when you pick a tree. A few goals that come to mind are:

1. Screen off the view to the neighboring yard. Must it be evergreen to do this? If it isn't then you need it to have a dense pack of branches for it to work all year

2. Attract or don't attract, birds, insects, vermin. Are therir animals or vermin in your area that be attracted to a fruit tree? Is anyone in the hosehold allergic to bees? If you want to park a car or a barbeque grill under a tree, you don't want it covered with bird droppings. In my yard, the neighbors pine tree that overhangs my driveway seems to be infested with aphids and their droppings leave a clear glaze on cars.

3. Have or don't have an aggressive root system. Don't plant something like a poplar within 25 feet of your house unless you don't mind roots growing into your water and sewer lines. Some trees have roots that can heave up pavement and walls. Others have roots that grow quietly under such things with no problem. (http://www.northscaping.com/InfoZone/IS-0129/IS-0129.shtml )

4. Be easily removed after it is mature (if you change your mind) or grow to an impressive height.

5. Have lots of "volunteers" or stay single trunked. For example, chinese elms drop so many seeds that small elms sprout up everywhere around the tree. (However I still like this tree.)

6. Be friendly or unfriendly for kids to climb on. For example, a tree like a Vitex must be trimmed often and the cuts leave hard projections from the trunk so it is not a comfortable tree to play in.

You can add to the list. I suppose no tree will be ideal for all the goals, but if you talk to the ag agent, you should be prepared to define your priorities.

Bob Moyer
07-21-2008, 2:12 PM
Hi Julie.

When we lived in northern Ohio, south of Akron, we planted a Metasequoia glyptostroboides, more commonly known as a Dawn Redwood. They make a nice specimen tree. We bought ours from Wayside Gardens. I wish they would grow down in this neck of the woods.

For information on the tree, take a look at this website (http://www.dawnredwood.org/INFORMATION.htm).

I have a Dawn Redwood, it is a beautiful tree; and we love it; however it loses it's needles in the winter, and it is huge; it reqired a lot of watering initially and is grown from 12 feet to over 30 in 5 years.

Ken Garlock
07-21-2008, 2:17 PM

Oh come-on Jerome, the Leeland Cyprus is a nice evergreen. We have several planted around our property, but I will admit that I would not want it up against the house....

Please look into the spelling of that "hate tree" beginning with Green Giant. When I googled the name, all I got was a can of peas.:D

Prashun Patel
07-21-2008, 3:06 PM
Oh come-on Jerome, the Leeland Cyprus is a nice evergreen. We have several planted around our property, but I will admit that I would not want it up against the house....

Please look into the spelling of that "hate tree" beginning with Green Giant. When I googled the name, all I got was a can of peas.:D

It's 'Thuja' or commonly 'arborvitae'