PDA

View Full Version : Got me a DC...Yeah!!!!

Tony Cox
07-18-2008, 1:50 PM
Good afternoon all,

I just placed an order at Amazon for the Delta 50-760 DC. I have read a lot of good things about it and this looks to be a great fit for my small work area. Says the estimated delivery date is 7/22. So maybe by next week I will be collecting dust. Well.. I already collect dust, but maybe now it will be in a convenient throw away bag.:D

Tony

Robin Cruz
07-18-2008, 2:02 PM
the Harbor Freight 2hp DC with 30 micron bags is $125 if you get it on sale and apply the 15% of coupon. They are all the same design and probably the same chinese mfr. YOu can retrofit it with a Wynn 0.5 micron filter that comes with clear plastic collection bags for less then $100.

Adam Cavaliere
07-18-2008, 3:24 PM
the Harbor Freight 2hp DC with 30 micron bags is $125 if you get it on sale and apply the 15% of coupon. They are all the same design and probably the same chinese mfr. YOu can retrofit it with a Wynn 0.5 micron filter that comes with clear plastic collection bags for less then $100.

Why not say congrats and let the guy be happy with his purchase? I am sure he made the decision to go with a name brand for a reason over the HF model. I chose to go with a Steel City over the HF model because I wanted to go with a name I knew.

Well at least from me, congrats! I know I enjoy collecting dust more efficiently rather than using my shop vac! :)

Prashun Patel
07-18-2008, 3:39 PM
Robin's on a buzzkill mission today.

Tony, I got the 50-760 and you'll love it. It's really not designed to be a central dc with long runs. To be most effective, you shld really keep the tools it services fairly close.

It's super light and the cart's pretty good, so moving it's not a prob.

Invest in a bunch of quick connect couplers...

John Keeton
07-18-2008, 3:44 PM
Congratulations Tony - and while you are at it, give your lungs a high 5 as well!! They certainly will be better off for it.

Don't worry about Robin - second guessing is a waste of energy. You made a good decision! Just because they look alike, doesn't mean they are. Even though they made be made in the same factory (if they are) it's all about the specs that the contract calls for. You gotta think Delta specs them better than HF.

Tony Cox
07-18-2008, 3:58 PM
I'm not going to second guess myself. This has been the one I've had my eye on for several months. The cost @ Amazon was $316.59 with free shipping and Delta has a $50 mail-in rebate if purchased before 7/31. That makes the total $266.59 and what I consider a pretty decent deal. Rockler had this unit for $359.00 when I was there a couple weeks ago so I think I did alright.

Tony

Robin Cruz
07-18-2008, 4:51 PM
really think about adding a pleated filter vs the 30 micron bag. I noticed there is one bag and a plastic bag catcher. The pleated filter will add about 10x the available air exhaust flow making for a very high vacuum and about 60 times better particle filtering. I think the bag is 30ft2 and the filter is 300ft2 open exhaust. The filter I would recommend is a Wynn filter http://www.wynnenv.com/. They sell kits with some hardware to replace the bag for around $100 and a little bit to ship by UPS. Buy some extra clear bags from them as clear bags are hard to find locally. Nothing wrong with putting a black trash can bag there, its just you can see the collection working and it helps to judge if you need to clear the filter by viewing the cyclone velocity.
BTW you can clear the filter by rapping on the outside all around or better is blowing compressed air from outside to clear the filter.

Hose wise, Rockler sells some really nice and rugged clear flex hose that goes on sale now and again. Its on sale now for $15 for 10'

Curt Harms
07-18-2008, 6:46 PM
The bags are 1 micron, not 30 micron. The Wynn filter is nice, I have the spun bond one but I'd feel less urgency to switch to a canister if my DC came with with a 1 micron bag filters instead of a 30 micron bag filters. Part of the increased cost over Harbor Freight?;)

Curt

really think about adding a pleated filter vs the 30 micron bag. I noticed there is one bag and a plastic bag catcher. The pleated filter will add about 10x the available air exhaust flow making for a very high vacuum and about 60 times better particle filtering. I think the bag is 30ft2 and the filter is 300ft2 open exhaust. The filter I would recommend is a Wynn filter http://www.wynnenv.com/. They sell kits with some hardware to replace the bag for around $100 and a little bit to ship by UPS. Buy some extra clear bags from them as clear bags are hard to find locally. Nothing wrong with putting a black trash can bag there, its just you can see the collection working and it helps to judge if you need to clear the filter by viewing the cyclone velocity.
BTW you can clear the filter by rapping on the outside all around or better is blowing compressed air from outside to clear the filter.

Hose wise, Rockler sells some really nice and rugged clear flex hose that goes on sale now and again. Its on sale now for $15 for 10'

Russell Tribby
07-18-2008, 7:59 PM
Tony, I picked that up a couple of months ago and it has been one of the best additions I've made to my little shop in years. The felt bag on top is outstanding and I've come to love the lower plastic bag. I ended up buying a roll of about 50 of the plastic bags from American Fabric Filter. It's so nice being able to take the bag off, tie/tape it up and throw it out. I know you're not supposed to do long runs with it but I have 20' of clear hose hooked up to it and it works great. Have fun!

Brad Townsend
07-18-2008, 8:51 PM
As one who has been using the HFDC/Wynn combo for the past three years (and recently replaced with a cyclone:D), I think you made the right choice. The HFDC/Wynn combo was a good, inexpensive alternative when I bought it 3 1/2 years ago, but really good DCs like the one you bought are now just as cheap. Even with the canister filter and bogus 2hp rating, I doubt the HFDC will move as much air as the Delta you are buying. Good decision!

Peter Quinn
07-18-2008, 9:15 PM
Sorry Tony, but that DC sucks. No, i mean it, it really sucks. Should clear the air in your shop real good. You might have to semi-retire your broom! Congrats. I added a garbage can pre separator to my small DC which saves me a lot of trouble emptying bags.

As far as knock offs, look real close at the motor wiring class and bearings. Those cheap knock off vendors aren't manufacturing geniuses who have figured out how to give more for less, they usually offer less in a less than obvious way.

Don Bullock
07-18-2008, 10:41 PM
Tony, congratulations on your new DC.

Ron Jones near Indy
07-18-2008, 10:48 PM
You are going to love that DC and you lungs will like it even more. I have the 50-850 with 1 micron bags and it is great. Yours will be just as good and probably better. That's a very wise way to spent your $.:cool:

Robin Cruz
07-19-2008, 2:15 PM
there are no such things a 1 micron canvas bags. its impossible. The specs for that machine say 30 micron

Josh Mountain
07-19-2008, 3:07 PM
Ummmmmmmmm.

There are several DCs out there with 1 micron bags vice cannisters including the Delta 50-760.

http://www.deltaportercable.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=11492

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/DC2000B.html

The March 008 Wood Mag roundup of DCs under $400 lists the JDS and Steel City as well.

Delta model is a great deal right now with the Delta/PC rebate as well as the Microsoft Live cashback (25% off right now!)

Enjoy your fine DC!

Curt Harms
07-19-2008, 3:44 PM
there are no such things a 1 micron canvas bags. its impossible. The specs for that machine say 30 micron

http://www.deltaportercable.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=11492
under both features and specifications tabs.

http://www.americanfabricfilter.com/fabric.php

Looks like 1 micron is indeed possible

Rick Thom
07-21-2008, 5:12 AM
I have and like the 50-760 very much. I added the Wynn canister (spun poly) recently for better filtration in my small basement shop. The dc is certainly capable of moving larger volumes of air than a 4" pipe provides so I plan to move to 5" soon.
On the downside, the collection bag is quite small so if you produce a lot of chips ie planner, jointer, lathe etc, you will have to empty the bag often to keep the dc efficient, or add a separator to the line serving that equipment. If you let the collection bag get too full, ie > 2/3 or so, some of the chips/dust travels up into the filter bag and speeds the clogging of the bag (or canister) which quickly reduces the efficiency of the dc.

J. Greg Jones
07-21-2008, 6:50 AM

Are you looking at the design and specs for the Delta 50-760? It does have a 1 micron bag and certainly is not the same design as the HFDC. I have the HFDC and have upgraded it with a Wynn filter, but it's still not in the same performance class as the 50-760. When I bought mine 3 years ago, I was able to get it on sale for around $125 but I have not seen the HF unit anywhere near that price since. I don't think one could put together a HF unit and Wynn filter today for less than what the OP paid for the Delta, and it still would not suck as well as the Delta. Nice score Tony-you did well!

John Sanford
07-21-2008, 6:59 PM
Good on ya Tony! I pulled the same trigger back in late May, and just returned from SoCal to find the rebate check waiting for me.

John Frigillana
07-22-2008, 5:09 PM
:confused:With all the opinions ,I'm looking to purchas a Delta AP300 for my garage which is about 16'X20' . I will be using to collect sanding dust when turning and maybe some cuttings, I usually sweep and vacuum the chips after and during if there is a lot. Would this be sufficient. I could also move it to my band saw when needed. It'll cost me under $150 on sale.;)

Tony Cox
07-22-2008, 8:29 PM
Here is what was waiting on me when I got home.

The next picture is about 30 minutes later.

This thing is going to be great. It has lots of power and I think it will be able to keep up with me really well. I can't believe I've been putting off getting this thing. My shop will be so happy now that the dust will be controlled.

Tony

Mark Elmer
07-22-2008, 9:15 PM
Josh,

Did you find some place that is selling the Delta 50-760 with a Microsoft Live discount of 25%?

If so can you please post a link. This is what I found:

http://search.live.com/cashback/products/offerings/8055/3965286

If one could save 25% and then get a $50 rebate. WOW! :D