PDA

View Full Version : Handmade Music

Sam Chambers
04-23-2004, 9:35 PM
I just read through the thread on the "Woodturning Basics" show on DIY Network, and was reminded of another show currently running that some of you might be interested in watching.

There's a show called "Handmade Music" running on DIY. It's a weekly show. Right now they're following the construction of a Martin D-28 style acoustic guitar by luthier Lynn Dudenbostel. They've covered everything pretty well, including harvesting a huge red spruce for the top. I think this weekend is the last of 4 episodes, and it looks like there will be a couple more - a 3 parter on building a mandolin, and a one-parter on building a dulcimer. The guitar series will be repeated in June.

So far, the guitar series has been very interesting. I'm a guitar player, and I know there are many others here. One of these days I'll build one of my own, and this series has given me some good ideas. Looks like I got my Tivo just in time!

The schedule is:

Friday at 10:00 PM
Saturday at 1:00 AM, 10:00 PM
Sunday at 1:00 AM, 8:30 PM & 11:30 PM
(All times Eastern)

For more info, Here's a link to the Handmade Music page at DIYNet.com (http://www.diynet.com/diy/shows_dhmm/0,2044,DIY_16997,00.html)

John Miliunas
04-24-2004, 12:02 AM
Sam, looks interesting. But (Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!:mad: ), we don't get DIY. Really ticks me off, too, because both, LOML and I would love to see a lot of the programs offered. Heck, anymore, home improvement shows are about all I ever watch, for what little tube time I put in. We've got Dish Network, with no chance of cable out here. Yes, Dish offers DIY, but only in their very TOP package. I would have to pay an additional $20.00/mth. for a package of umpteen other stations we don't care for, just to get DIY! Sucks! :mad: If I remember correctly, I think DirecTV has a better (more reasonable) package, which includes DIY. Might look into switching. :cool:

David Klug
04-24-2004, 12:20 AM
John, we get DIY with out cable and just love it. My wife's favorite is Warehouse Warriers.

DK

John Miliunas
04-24-2004, 12:26 AM
John, we get DIY with out cable and just love it. My wife's favorite is Warehouse Warriers.

DK
You're lucky, David. W/O the dish, we mainly get snow! Well, not quite that bad, but the quality leaves very much to be desired and we only get 3 Network stations, plus Public TV (kind of).

Matt Bridges
04-24-2004, 9:48 AM
My wife's uncle builders Dulcimers and they are awesome. He's got 6 or 7 in his house and people want to buy them but he won't sell any of his stuff. He also makes knives and does scrimshaw(etching on ivory or bone). He's also built a full size harp and an electric guitar. In Sept. I guess I've officially been accepting into the family (we've been married 8 years so that's a joke) as he took me out to his shop to show me around. He got quite and amazing collection including a drill press that dates to the late 1800's or early 1900's.

Matt

Lars Thomas
04-24-2004, 12:06 PM
Sam, thanks for the post. I added a Season Pass for it on my Tivo too. I've always wanted to build a acoustical guitar. I built a kit electric guitar a few years ago which was fun. Looks like a good show. If you are also a forum junkie (like me), check out http://www.tivocommunity.com.

John, take a look at Direct TV, DIY comes in the second tier package (I think) which equated to about $3.00 more /month. Plus you can get a Tivo/dual Tuner box - which is cheaper than the stand alone Tivo but you can't get the Home Media Option, yet. H.M.O allows you to stream music and pictures from your PC to your Entertainment Center.