PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw tire slippage

larry cronkite
07-18-2008, 4:40 AM
I just received, assembled and adjusted a Ridgid 14 inch bandsaw.
The blade seems to track fine but the top tire starts to run off the wheel after just a short time of running (15 - 20 seconds).

I tried adjusting the blade tension but that didn't seem to make any difference.

Is there an easy fix to this or should I just take off one of the adjustable leveling feet and put a new bandsaw over it ?

Dell Littlefield
07-18-2008, 8:35 AM
Yesterday, I installed a new pair of polyurethane tires on my Ridgid 14 inch bandsaw. Although the old ones were badly checked, they were still working ok. The original seemed quite flimsy when compared to the new ones. If yours are also checked, you may consider changing them. I bought mine from Rockler, they had the best price I could find. I also bought the zero clearance inserts for the Delta bandsaw. It took quite a bit of modification to get them to fit in the Ridgid but should be an improvement over the old aluminum one.

Lee Schierer
07-18-2008, 12:20 PM
If this is a new saw, I'd talk with the dealer or manufacturer. It should be a warranty problem. The tires should not come off. If this is a used Bandsaw that is just new to your shop, then call Suffolk Machinery and get new polyurethane tires. Bandsaw tires should not come off the wjheels in normal operation.

Frank Drew
07-18-2008, 1:03 PM
Bandsaw tires should not come off the wheels in normal operation.

And the problem with the tire coming off is that it can bring the blade with it, right into the inside of the door, chewing up the table insert, etc.; very messy (DAMHIK :eek:).

Even though it can be a real bear to put a new, tight tire on a bandsaw wheel, so tight you'd think nothing could cause it to come off, once the wheel reaches operating r.p.m. the centrifugal force is enormous.

Some manufacturers use shellac as a tire adhesive, fwiw.

larry cronkite
07-18-2008, 4:11 PM
Thanks for your replies.

This was a reconditioned Ridgid from HD and it's going back.

I just purchased a brand new, fully assembled, unused Delta 14" with the cosmoline still on the table, from CL.
I tested it and it seems to be working fine.

They are even going to deliver it !

Hope to have better luck with this one.

Nathan Camp
07-21-2008, 8:34 AM
I had the same issue with my Ridgid band saw when it was new. I just bought a replacement tire from woodcraft.

New tire seems to work fine. My guess is they had a bad batch of tires.

nathan

Terry Briley
07-22-2008, 4:22 PM
:confused:
Has anyone installed a Carter bearing system with a riser block kit and a Brett Guard for a Delta 14" bandsaw?
If so I would value an extra opinion, or three.
Riser block went on fine.
Carter bearing kit was smooth.
But the mounting of the Brett Guard, well I reinvented by using the old plastic guard that was no longer used.
There are two choices the guard from the riser block kit or the guard from the carter bearing kit.
I will post pictures later on, if anyone replies...

glenn bradley
07-22-2008, 5:55 PM
The Ridgid got beat on pretty bad by Wood magazine in the last issue. On the otherhand after some tuning by a BS guru, it cut as good as a Euro saw in another article. The tire running off is no small issue. I'd swap or try something else.