PDA

View Full Version : What Is It??

Tyler Howell
07-18-2008, 12:34 AM
I have two large 4X8 timbers 8' long in my shed used for furing.:confused: It's soft wood. They have been milled like this. No one locally can tell me what they are for:confused::confused:.
I just knew the vast resources of the creek could help me out
TIA

Bill Eicher
07-18-2008, 1:14 AM
Your 4x8's appear to be bee boards which are provided for leaf-cutter bees used for pollinating alfalfa seed raised in this area. These little stingless bees pack the cells in the boards with their eggs using sections of leaves as packing material. They also fill other spaces including plugging radiators and ravage some of the plants in our yards. Three feet is is closer than 8 feet to the typical length of board used.

Tyler Howell
07-18-2008, 1:19 AM
We dicussed bees but ruled them out because of the size.
That makes good sense, Mud whasps have taken up residence
My mind is at ease;)

Joe Pelonio
07-18-2008, 8:09 AM
Here those are used for orchard mason bees, I think the holes are 5/16".

Mitchell Andrus
07-18-2008, 8:33 AM
It's a prototype for an apartment complex in Tokyo.

It'll be scaled up a bit.

Mitchell Andrus
07-18-2008, 8:34 AM
Tyler, what are you sitting at in your avitar??? You got a sound deal going on?

Share, man.

Tyler Howell
07-18-2008, 10:30 AM
Tyler, what are you sitting at in your avitar??? You got a sound deal going on?

Share, man.
Hey Mitch,
I spine Jazz tunes a couple times a month at the local Radio Station. Brand new studio and great folks.:D

Larry Browning
07-18-2008, 10:57 AM
My guess is drill press practice:D Either that or some guy needed to carry that board around on his back and he wanted to make it lighter.

Lee Schierer
07-18-2008, 1:24 PM
I have two large 4X8 timbers 8' long in my shed used for furing.:confused: It's soft wood. They have been milled like this. No one locally can tell me what they are for:confused::confused:.
I just knew the vast resources of the creek could help me out
TIA I have to agree with the others that they are bee boards. This guy has a whole truck load bee boards (http://boise.craigslist.org/zip/716521667.html)http://images.craigslist.org/01150701030501160520080611c262ff2daeee7ce0360017db .jpg

Mike Wilkins
07-18-2008, 3:40 PM
Jazz and woodworking. A great combination. That is all I have on the sound system in the shop. I just have to find a stereo hook-up for my older Sirius satellite radio to hear the latest offerings. For now, its CD's.

John Keeton
07-18-2008, 3:53 PM
Bee boards!!???!!! The things one learns on the creek! Never heard of them, but "stingless bees" would be welcome here! Every bee we have, at least one sex of the species stings.

With the strange demise of bees generally, wonder if these things can take over some of the pollination duties across the country or are they climate sensitive? The agriculture community in this area is very concerned about shrinking bee populations.

Mitchell Andrus
07-18-2008, 8:30 PM
Tyler... I'm into jazz - the classic stuff.... pre-bop - I'm not much for bop I'm afraid. I like some Miles, etc., but I'm really into Ben Webster, Pops, Duke and Basie Vince Giordano, Pasadena Rooftop Orch....

I play sax. Tenor, bari and bass. I sub-in with a 17 piece swing band once in a blue moon in 2nd tenor seat. Great seat for swing charts.... all the rhythm and changes, none of the pressure.

I'm very friendly with Larry Ham, Harry Allen (the BEST tenor playing today), and the late Earl May. I frequent a jazz/supper club nearby called Shanghai Jazz - cool place. I was on the Arbors Records jazz cruise a few years ago, Tampa to Mexico. What a blast!!!!! Music 4 times a day in a variety of venues on a 490 passenger 1st class trip. 17 of the best including Dick Hyman and Kenny Davern, also now passed. He was a good friend. Cranky, but genuine. Often played a plastic clarinet he picked up in the 60's at a garage sale.

I had dinner a few months ago with Bucky Pizzarelli at Shanghai Jazz, and saw him and Skitch Henderson play together a month before Skitch passed.

You'd love my ipod - 8500 tunes - my entire CD collection.

You got a web-thing going?

http://www.shanghaijazz.com/schedulefinal.htm

Bruce Page
07-18-2008, 8:38 PM
You have so really organized termites? :D

Bill Eicher
07-18-2008, 10:35 PM
Leaf-cutter bees are said to pollinate fruits and vegetables, though they are cultivated here for alfalfa seed growing because honey bees avoid "tripping" the alfalfa bloom since it knocks the snot out of them when it "trips." Growers here acquire new bees from Canada. Google sources say there are species that are native to the western U.S. and Europe. Apparently they do have potential for pollinating food crops in the light of the honey bee decline. They line their cells with leaves and provide the larva with nectar and pollen before sealing the cell with more leaves. They are solitary. It does not seem they would be a source of honey.

Tyler Howell
07-18-2008, 11:02 PM
Hey Mitch,
I'm a frustrated guitar player.
Age is taking my gift.
I threatened a guitar bonfire last week on the air when we had live performances in the studio for the seasonal fund drive.
It's one thing to be a small fish in a big pond, but a small fish in a small pond hurts. There is so much talent in this area.
So I put new strings on my ax a started working the scales. I'll never live my dream but I'll keep plugging away.
I like all you've mentioned but really enjoy the Smooth Jazz format. Getting a lot of positive feed back on the programming.
They haven't had much 4 Play, Fattburger, Yellow Jackets, Brian Culbertson in this part of the world. Just about everybody is from someplace else. They are hungry for smooth and fusion.
Tyler
Live Like You Mean It!

Ken Fitzgerald
07-19-2008, 1:00 AM
Tyler......Shhhhh!....There are certain folks who don't want this known as it ruins Idaho's reputation as a red-neck state......The Lionel Hampton Jazz Festival has been held at the University of Idaho in Moscow, Idaho (that's Mosco...LONG O) for over 40 years.....My neighbor's wife is from Moscow and they routinely go there (it's only 30 miles) to visit her mother. One night they are having dinner in a nice restaurant and who sauntered in and set down at the table next to them?.....Lou Rawls......

My friend, I gave up playing for 25 years and then came back to it after we got the kids raised. I play better today than I did 30 years ago. 30 years ago I was in it for the volume ....not technique!:D Did you guess I'm an old 60's rocker?

Mitchell Andrus
07-19-2008, 8:34 AM
Yellow Jackets. I hadn't heard of them so I Googled them and gave a listen. Funny, I know I'd heard Bob Mintzer (sax) before, he passed through the Buddy Rich and Thad Jones bands, amoung others and I've got one of his band's albums on the 'pod.... I can get into these guys, I ordered Lifecycle to give a listen.