PDA

View Full Version : Be careful with them chainsaws (Caution Graphic picture.)

Alan Trout
07-17-2008, 10:07 PM
Well just a reminder how dangerous a chain saw can be. I spent about 7 hours at the hospital last night with my best friend after he almost cut his toe off with a chainsaw. The top picture looks nice compared to the side view. It was cut half into. It severed one ligament and cut almost half way through the bone. Pretty nasty wound. It happened at 2PM yesterday and he did not get to surgery until 4AM today. I stayed with him till midnight last night. This picture was taken just after they irrigated the wound in the emergency room. The staff was a great bunch and very accommodating. The PA on duty took the picture with his phone because I left mine in the truck.

MY friend is a guy that does selective brush clearing on ranches and uses a chainsaw every day. He was cutting through a limb on the ground at a crouch. The front of the bar hit the limb below the one being cut and kicked the bar over the top of his foot. It missed going over the steel toe of his boot by less than a 1/16" of an inch. He blames it on a dull chain. He said that he knew he needed to change the chain but was almost done for the day and did not want to take the time to change the blade. He said he was pushing way to hard on the saw. Lesson learned the hard way.

I have never been scared of tools but have learned over the years to respect them. I myself have done some pretty stupid stuff that have resulted in some pretty bad injuries. I just want this to serve as a reminder for everyone a little laps in judgment can have some pretty serious consequences.

Thanks,

Alan

Steve Schlumpf
07-17-2008, 10:46 PM
Alan - thanks for posting! You never expect things like that to happen - but, all to often they do! Hope your friend heals quickly! I'll think twice before over extending myself with my chainsaw! Thanks for the safety reminder!

Don Abele
07-17-2008, 10:57 PM
Alan, I've seen my fair share of chain saw injuries while working in the ER and that one is a keeper.

Had a fella who drove an hour and half (past two civilian emergency rooms) just to get to the military treatment facility so he wouldn't have to pay a co-pay. All the while he's making a mess in the truck as his foot bled like crazy from his "close encounter" with his chain saw. Oh, and the offending saw was on the floor board on the passenger seat!

One thing I've seen time and time again is that steel-toed boots cause a worse injury (most times) with chain saws. The saw tends to skip off the toe and continue in the direction you're pushing - up the foot - until it finds something soft and fleshy to bite into. I'm not sure if losing a toe (or two) or hacking through most of the bones in the arch of your foot is worse. I personally do not wear steel-toed boots when using the chain saw, but I am ALWAYS watching the direction of the cut and what body part lies in its path.

Thanks again for posting a reminder for all of us to be cautious when working with our toys...errr...tools!

Be well,

Doc

Christopher Pine
07-17-2008, 11:26 PM
The thing about safety and injuries is many times it is not the unexperienced or the person who is new to using any given tool who gets hurt. The getting "comfortable" or careless I think causes many injuries. Great reminder for all of us to stay alert and keep that healthy respect of the tools we use!

Chris

Geoff Hanha
07-18-2008, 6:00 AM
I don't think it matters how many times you tell someone to be carefull with whatever tool, no one intends to do themselfs injury unless they are completly barking, accedents will happen no matter what, if its your turn then thats it. There are lots of people out there that no nothing of how to use a tool and injure themselfs, you cannot tell stupid people what to do. I have a friend next door to me, his friend is a wood be carpenter and last year he cut his arm of from the elbo, his left arm, and done this on a chopsaw, think about it, you have to be really daft to be able to do that.
When i asked him how he mannaged to do it he said (don't know).
I have seen loads of injury over the years as a carpenter, i have been lucky with the odd cut and slip, i cut through some wellies once with a hand saw and pheew that was near. I hope we all have fun with our tools and that any injury we all get just needs a little plaster, hell i dont like pain or blood. Wood is just to expencive to colour red. enjoy guys. hope the top heals and walking is okay..geoff

William Bachtel
07-18-2008, 7:54 AM
You can never be to careful with a chainsaw, they are dangerous as hell, all the time. I cut timber for years and I am a very safety type of guy. I have broken my femur from a kick back, from a large saw. I have seen many other types of injuries, cut feet, legs , arms, guess what I am saying is you can't be to careful with a chainsaw, and learn how to use it.

robert hainstock
07-18-2008, 8:21 AM
:eek:I have owned and operated three chainsaws, and hve scars from two of them. My rule always was though, when the gastank was empty, sharpen the chain. I'm sure I streched the rule a time or two, but there is no such thing ass too safe with one of the things. We live in chain saw country where fifty percent or more own and use one. there are frequent accidents, and reminders. My body has scars to prove how a careless moment can make an instantaneous vivid impression on one body. :eek:
Thanks for posting.
Bob

Alan Trout
07-18-2008, 9:07 AM
To me it is scary how fast things happen. Most of my injuries happened when I owned my machine shop. I knew better but most of them happened when I was in a hurry. Since I have gotten older my patience has increased. I don't get in a hurry any more.

Like my buddy said he knew he really screwed up when he looked at his damaged boot and did not feel anything. Pulled the toe down and saw bone.

I guess what I was trying to do by posting this is when you know better stop think and make the right decision. My buddy was very lucky It could have just as easyly lost his hole toe or foot. At least his was repairable.

Thanks,

Alan

Bernie Weishapl
07-18-2008, 10:58 AM
Alan thanks for the reminder. As I have gotten older I look back at some of the stupid stuff I have did. Getting in a hurry to get it done before you have to go in or I am a tired dog but just have to make one more cut or the blade on whatever needs sharpened or changed but just one more cut. That is where I have gotten caught. Now I just figure I am not going to hurry or not making that last cut. It will be there tomorrow or the next weekend and it reminds me every time I see a picture like this.

curtis rosche
07-18-2008, 1:20 PM
ouch that hurt. speaking of chainsaw saftey, have any of you seen the new series "ax men" on the history channel? the episode where they are in the middle of the huge storm and the one guy has to clear the way for his truck? some great examples of what not to do with a chainsaw

Malcolm Tibbetts
07-18-2008, 6:49 PM
This re-re-enforces the saying that, "A dull tool is a dangerous tool". This applys to most of all our tools. Thanks for the reminder.

David Newson
07-18-2008, 8:00 PM
I think this is a perfect classic example of a mishaps with a chainsaw, if only every chainsaw user wore proper chainsaw boots and ballistic trousers this type of injury could be avoided, its a small price to pay for your legs and feet, in the UK professional users by law have to wear them including a helmet and muffs, myself with over thirty years experience doing tree surgery work I can tell you they do save you any serious injury's, theirs only really two downsides to consider for not wearing the proper gear.

1. Costs

2. Can get hot during long periods of use in the summer.

Costs should really come into it if you value your life, and yes they can be uncomfortable during the summers months but not if you take frequent breaks in the shade if possible.

I seriously hope my comments are not taken wrong way and hope at least all the non professional chainsaw users just give it some thought and consideration.

Paul Gallian
07-18-2008, 8:14 PM
Careful--
That is why I use this photo as my avatar! a reminder of how a quick a chainsaw is...

Tell him that he is in my prayers for a speedy recovery
Rev. Paul

William Bachtel
07-19-2008, 8:12 AM
Also remember: A dull mind is a dangerous tool also.

This re-re-enforces the saying that, "A dull tool is a dangerous tool". This applys to most of all our tools. Thanks for the reminder.

Geoff Hanha
07-19-2008, 2:09 PM

A dull tool does not help but a sharp one is just as dangerous if not used right, or a lack of thought, trying to do something when thinking about something eles, i have seen guy slice the side of there thumb off with a stanley knife sharpening a pencil and thinking about going for a pint.
If we all put as much thought into useing the tools as we do the finish then we might just give blood at the bank and not in the workshop.
Use the right tool for the right job, keep it sharp, and understand it.
The sun has just come out in the UK it has been one missrable day here untill know. im off to the pub for a beer. have fun guys.. Geoff

Bill Wyko
07-20-2008, 7:41 PM
Alan, I'm so sorry to see you have such a bad mishap. I wish you a full recovery. Its been a while since I had a reminder like that. Good luck my friend.

Alan Trout
07-20-2008, 8:20 PM
Bill, Thanks for the well wishes. However thank goodness it was not me. It was my best friend but I will pass on the Positive thoughts. However the real sad part is that he is my free turning wood connection. Now it will be a while before I get any more :(. Of course the last comment was in jest. He knows I love him like a brother.

Thanks,

Alan

Joe Chritz
07-21-2008, 12:55 PM
Also remember: A dull mind is a dangerous tool also.

Very funny, I was just thinking that exact thing.

The more familiar someone is with a dangerous operation the more complacent one can get. It is a constant struggle and the chief reason safety is preached over and over.

Joe

Nathan Hawkes
07-21-2008, 8:15 PM
I'm so glad your friend is alright. Thanks for posting this. Many of us forget the dangers of some of our tools. I'm putting protective boots on the "short list" of equipment/tools I need. I wear 12-layer kevlar chaps approved UL class A for chainsaw competition, and steeltoes, but had never even thought about the bar skipping back to the top of the foot, like when you're cutting sideways or standing on a hill, sidestepping for balance.I've had a couple near misses, and always think about what could happen. I'm glad you were there to help your friend.