PDA

View Full Version : What our Club has been doing

Gordon Seto
07-17-2008, 9:28 PM
This is a picture of the hands-on class our Club has with the YMCA campers last evening.

We gave one on one turning lessons to 10 young campers of age 11 to 17 each week during the summer camp. This is our 2nd year doing this. They each did a dry flower vase (we used to call it weed pot) and a slimline pen or 2 key chains in about 2 hours.

They were fresh green wood; easier to cut and the kids enjoy the long ribbons. We had a good time; we learn as much as they did. It would be a bonus of joy if we were paired up with a natural born talent for the evening. We were there to help them; the shape and form are all their own designs. Don't you agree that some pieces were great, especially for the first timers? I have been to at least 10 of such classes. There is no advantage in age or gender. Some pick up the technique within the first minute; once in a while there will be one that you need to hold their hands to guide them most of the time.
Please withhold your opinion on individual piece. Some of the makers may not wish their works commented on publicly. The face of the young camper was also blurred because of privacy. I regret I am not able to post the pictures of some of the smiley young faces. It was priceless.
Thanks to the AAW grant, the foresight of our former President, Larry McCardel & our members ( I am not going to mention the current officers, I don’t want the appearance of kissing butts and I am afraid I am going to miss some names). We have 10 Jet mini VS lathes and each station is equipped with 5 turning tools, a Talon chuck and face shield. We added two additional stations this year. Our Club (BWWT.org (http://bwwt.org/)) is able to hold workshops for our members and YMCA campers. The average age of AAW members are on the mature side, I think our Club is doing our part to introduce woodturning to the next generation. We were told some parents wanted to make sure the Y camp is still offering the woodturning program before they signed up their kids this year.

Mike Peace
07-17-2008, 9:41 PM
Sounds like a terrific activity for the club and I am sure the kids have a blast!

Steve Schlumpf
07-17-2008, 10:53 PM
Gordon - sounds like that had to have been a great time! Nothing better than being able to teach someone something new - and then actually have something they can show for their efforts! Congrats to you and your club for taking the steps necessary to promote turning in what I am sure was a fun and safe way! Thanks for posting!

Bernie Weishapl
07-18-2008, 11:02 AM
Congrats to you and your club. Sounds like fun was had by all.

Ron Ainge
07-18-2008, 4:53 PM
I like what you did and I love to work with young people to give them a start in the spinning world. Every year a few of us old geasers go to the thing in our local town and let the kids color the small tops we have made. Two of us started this about 4 years ago with about 400 tops. This year there will be 7 of us and we will give away over 1200 tops. We turn the tops before we get there and then we put them in the jacobs chucks on the small lathes and let the kids paint them while they are spinning. I don't know who has the most fun the kids or the bunch of us guys.. Keep up the good work

robert hainstock
07-18-2008, 8:38 PM
That is a great use of the club resource. It is an everybody wins situation. Congrats, and thanks for posting. :D:D:D:D:D
Bob