PDA

View Full Version : Downs Path Railings, (Pics)

Richard Wolf
07-17-2008, 7:51 PM
Maybe this should be in the projects forum, please move if needed.

I know some of you like to see this kind of work. This has been one of my most difficult railings in a long time. The staircase turns and changes pitch at the same time, and the architect and home owner wanted to keep the posts to a minimum.
I still find it nerve wracking working on a staircase that is so difficult, it sucks some of the fun out of it.
Glad it's done, and everyone is happy.

Richard

Richard Wolf
07-17-2008, 7:53 PM
Some more;

Dick Bringhurst
07-17-2008, 8:01 PM
That's a beautiful piece of work. Even though it was less fun, you've got to be pleased with and proud of, the results. Dick B.

Matt Ocel
07-17-2008, 8:07 PM
Richard -

Awsome! Simply Awsome!

Is that a laminated rail? Who's stair parts do you use?

Frank Snyder
07-17-2008, 8:25 PM
Amazing work, Richard! How did you accurately drill the extreme angle on the underside of the diving hand rail? Did you make the bending rail?

Frank

Peter Quinn
07-17-2008, 8:40 PM
Beautiful, seems to float with out a lot of newels at the transitions. Do you find it rigid enough for your taste? It has a very delicate visual impact. Beautiful work.

I'm making parts for a stair case presently that has the opposite impact in my mind though I will never see the finished product. 12 newel posts 5 1/2" square by 54" with some very chunky caps and nearly square edge WO treads with mitered returns. Don't know what the rails are like. Feels like its design was based on Frankenstein's shoes?

Glad to see something as attractive yours.

Richard Wolf
07-17-2008, 9:07 PM
Matt & Frank, the curved section is 1X10 oak, resawn to about 1/8". Then the pitch changes are drawn and cut out of the 10"slabs. Then these profile pieces are bent and glued around a form. The glue up is then carefully sized to the dimensions of the rail. This blank is then profiled to the rail shape with a handrail router.

Peter, the architect thought they would have to make some steel balusters to bolt into the floor for support. It wasn't needed as the rail turned out very rigid. More rigid than I even hoped for.

Matt, I buy most of my stair parts from Ideal Stairs Parts, Little Falls, NY.

Thanks for looking.

Richard

Dave Ray
07-17-2008, 10:28 PM
Richard, as always you turn work into art. Fantastic piece of work/art, thanks for the look see.

David Klug
07-17-2008, 10:40 PM
I am immpressed!!!!!!!!!

DK

Don Morris
07-17-2008, 11:31 PM
Richard,

I'm about to start my first stair rail. Just a 12' straight job with rt. angle returns at the ends to a wall. I've seen your posts before and admired them. Will go back to this one every now and then just to see what I'm aiming for. Beautiful work is a joy to see. Thanks for posting it.

Greg Cole
07-18-2008, 8:47 AM
Richard,
Once again, very very nice work.
Thanks for sharing.

Greg