PDA

View Full Version : Laser cutting metalic card stock

mike klein
07-17-2008, 7:48 PM
I have a request to cut out some designs in what is called
"Metallic Cardstock" such as the ones listed on this site
http://www.paperworks.com/page/paperworks/CTGY/MET

I'm not familiar with this material and wondering if anyone has ever worked with it. The name "Metallic" makes me think it has a metal coating on it, therefore not able to cut with the laser. Maybe this is something like Romarks material called "Metal Graph" engravable plastic, I don't know.

I just did a search on Google and found the link above, not sure if that is what the customer is refering to or not but I have to assume that metallic cardstock is the same everywhere.

Thanks
Mike

Craig Hogarth
07-17-2008, 8:16 PM
Metal coated paper makes me think it would be the same stuff as a gum wrapper. While I've never thought about cutting gum wrappers before, i don't think it would be any different than cutting laser foil.

David Fairfield
07-17-2008, 8:19 PM
I'm not familiar with this particular brand but based on my experience, metallic paper is laserable. I get very nice results with the silver and gold papers I source from the local art store. Finished parts look like metal.

Anything that is foil coated (or embossed) will be a problem. You can ask for a sample from the company, or you can call them on the phone and ask them if its a foil coating or a laquer. If they don't know, ask them to burn a sample, if there is any foil in the ash, its not laserable.

HTH
Dave

Joe Pelonio
07-17-2008, 11:33 PM
It should be fine, if I remember correctly they use metal powders with binders on the surface, much like I do to make acrylic look like metal for laser cut letters/logos. It's metal but it's not :D.

mike klein
07-20-2008, 7:44 PM
Picked up some sheets at the local craft shop yesterday and it cuts like butter. Guess I got to worried about nothing.

Mike