PDA

View Full Version : Question on planer

Ron Taylor
03-10-2003, 4:00 PM
Just bought a new Delta 22-580 planer yesterday and already have a question that I didn't see in the user's manual or safety sheet.

I have approximately 4000 sq ft of 3/4" x 4" TG Knotty Poplar that is painted on one side. The wood was reclaimed from the walls of a fixer-upper house that I'm doing.

I've found that the planer does a wonderful job of stripping paint and smoothing the wood and I'm totally satisfied with the results, but am wondering if I can, or should/should not, put more than one board through at a time. The 13" capacity is more than wide enuf for three boards, but I don't know about the safety factor.

With several hundred boards to do, trippling the through put would hurry the job somewhat. But, since this is my very first experience with planers, I thought I might better climb up the mountain and consult with the gurus.

Thanks

Lee Schierer
03-10-2003, 4:04 PM
There is no reason not to run at least two boards at a time. If you stagger them, then you will reduce snipe on both.

Hopefully you are aware that paint is tough on planer knives??? They will dull rather quickly chipping through that old paint. There also may be a lead paint issue with this old paint, so I would insure that the paint is tested before I proceed and dispose with the resulting sawdust accordingly. Yoy may also need a good respirator.

Ron Taylor
03-10-2003, 4:10 PM
Good suggestion Lee. I know the last coat or two are latex paint from recent years. My Mom and Dad lived in the house and I was involved in the painting work. Not certain about the original coat. How would I go about getting it tested?

Since my shop is a fledgling, the DC is still in my fantasies and I use a good dual filter, commercial grade respirator for all dust/chip making tasks.

Ken Salisbury
03-10-2003, 4:12 PM
Lee has made some very good comments. However I sure hope you have a VERY GOOD metal detector to be sure no nails, staples or other metal objects are in the wood. You couldn't pay me to run any used lumber through my planer. Just 2¢ worth from a senile old man.

Lee Schierer
03-10-2003, 4:25 PM
Good question. I had to stop and think. HTere used to be some kits in the hardware stores, but I don't recall seeing them lately. I did a quick google search and there are lots of web resources. Here is one that was interesting:

Lead Testing (http://www.buildinggreen.com/products/lead.html)

I've never done it. Appparently any house built prior to 1978 may coontain lead, particulalry in the door and window trims.

Ron Taylor
03-10-2003, 4:56 PM
Ken, I do have a VERY GOOD metal detector. Testing it yesterday, it alerted on a piece of a paper staple that the board had picked up from my bench. I paid more for the metal detector than I did the planer!

I feel pretty good about running the old lumber, but I reserve the right to whine and cry if it messes up my new blades. I'll allow you the right to say, "I told you so". :)

Norsky
03-10-2003, 5:28 PM
<i><font color=blue>You couldn't pay me to run any used lumber through my planer.</i></font>

Ohhhhh Keeeeennnnnn...

I'll give you $2000.00 cash to run one piece of pine 2"x6"x8' (old farmhouse baseboard) through your planer so as to get rid of the paint so I can varnish it. Do we have a deal? ;^)

Norsky tryin' to make Ken eat his words. Hehe.

Jason Roehl
03-11-2003, 10:47 AM
I saw lead testing kits in Menard's just last Thursday. You could also check the paint stores.

Jason