PDA

View Full Version : What WW Magazines do you like/dislike

Brian Tax
07-17-2008, 5:23 PM
I thought this would be an interesting discussion. I subscribe to several WW Magazines and thought it would be interesting to hear your opinions on which ones you like or dislike and why.

Woodsmith - I like it, very good project plans, no adds.
WOOD - it is OK, I like their tool reviews, sometimes the pictures seem old.
Woodworkers Journal - it is OK, there are a lot of adds to sift through.

Dewey Torres
07-17-2008, 5:36 PM
You might find this thread interesting:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=62447&highlight=woodworking+magazines

Dewey

Brian Tax
07-17-2008, 5:53 PM
Thanks that is what I was looking for.

Rob Renicker
07-17-2008, 6:17 PM
I like Fine Woodworking and Wood. I have subscibed to most of the others but cut back. I like the tips and tool reviews in both of these mags. My least favorite are Shopnotes and Workbench.

Terry Sparks
07-17-2008, 7:11 PM
Cabinetmaker is always a good read for me, it's geared toward the small shop and best of all, it's a true bargan- it's free!

Warren Clemans
07-17-2008, 7:42 PM
I subscribe to Fine Woodworking and generally like it. I've found, however, that over the years the editors have to try really hard to come up with new material to cover. As with any specialty publication, there are only so many basic concepts to cover and those articles were done a long time ago. I enjoy the features on individual woodworkers and the section where readers submit their work. I find the tool comparisons to be more or less useless: they're generally too beholden to advertisers to say anything too negative about anyone, so the comparisons don't give you much basis on which to distinguish one machine from another, particularly within a given price range. SMC is a much more useful source for that sort of information.

Jim Finn
07-17-2008, 8:53 PM
Shopnotes is my first choice.

Chris Kennedy
07-17-2008, 9:25 PM
I subscribe to Popular Woodworking, and always enjoy it. The plans, the tool reviews -- I read it cover to cover. I sometimes pick up Fine Woodworking. I would subscribe to it if I felt that more of it was within my skill set. I am impressed/depressed when I see the reader's gallery.

On a separate note, I used to subscribe to Workbench, and really liked it. Before I owned a house, I always looked at a lot of the "woodworking for home improvement" plans, and thought -- I'll make that when I own a house. Now that I own a house, the magazine has completely changed. They really aren't a woodworking magazine at all anymore. I have since canceled my subscription and have no intention of going back.

Cheers,

Chris

Jim Knishka
07-17-2008, 9:59 PM
Anybody remember Taunton's Home Furniture? I sure miss that one. My copies are book-marked with projects I'd like to do someday.

Greg Hines, MD
07-17-2008, 10:14 PM
I like Shopnotes and Woodsmith. I also get Wood, Popular Woodworking, Woodworkers Journal.

Doc

Wayne Cannon
07-18-2008, 1:43 AM
I would add Popular Woodworking's no-ads spin-off, "Woodworking", to that list. [I'm not where I have them at hand, so I hope I'm getting their names correct.]

Lance Norris
07-18-2008, 6:17 AM
I like Woodsmith and Wood. I also get Popular Woodworking, but like the first two a little more.

peter de tappan
07-18-2008, 6:49 AM
I just picked up the August issue of Woodwork. Never had seen the mag before. Wow. Lots of very beautiful creations out of wood. Based on this one issue, the mag seems more about the result than the process, and more about the art than the craft of woodworking.
I will be subscribing.
My other subscriptions are Fine Woodworking and Wood.

Jim Becker
07-18-2008, 8:53 PM
I used to subscribe to quite a few...all the usual suspects. I now only subscribe to Fine Woodworking and Woodwork.

Brian Hale
07-18-2008, 9:38 PM
Fine Woodworking and Popular Woodworking are the 2 i've been getting for several years now, But, Woodworking Magazine is So Much better that i bought all the back issues (in book form) and couldn't be happier.

Jim Becker, you should get this. Trust me. ;)

Brian :)

Dan Bertenthal
07-19-2008, 12:20 AM
Another recommendation for Woodworking Magazine. If you're a fan of what Christopher Schwarz has been doing with Popular Woodworking, especially in the hand tool arena, you'll love this magazine (there's plenty of good stuff about machine work too).

They have a sample issue you can download as a PDF. I would say the sample issue is pretty representative of the high quality they've been maintaining all along.

I discovered this magazine a few months ago, and like Brian Hale did, I promptly bought the first 7 issues which are available as a book and then ordered the remaining back issues.

Highly recommended.

Harley Reasons
07-19-2008, 12:32 AM
Another vote for Woodworking, I downloaded the free copy and read through it. I then signed up for a subscription. Got the first issure and have read through it three times so far. Keep it in the "Man's Library" and probably will move it back to the computer desk after the forth or so reading. I'll probably buy the back issues also in the book form.
I also subscribe to Wood, and FWW.
I purchased a copy of Shopnotes and probably will subscribe to it if the next issue is interesting.

Jon Grider
07-19-2008, 9:59 AM
I no longer subscribe to any of them.In the past I've had FWW,AMW,WWJ,SN,PWW,and several others.Every couple of months,I'll make a library visit and browse through current and recent mags to keep up.Maybe I'm a cheapo,but I don't like paying my money for a magazine that seems like it's 50% advertisements.For me,the lust of owning new tools or machines has worn off.I'm perfectly content with the tools I have now,they work fine,I'm familiar with them,they're paid for,they don't need to be replaced.When the occasion arises that I need a new tool,bit, or something,then I'll do the research and find the best one.I'd rather put my money into buying some really cool wood,now THAT is my weakness.

Clifford Mescher
07-19-2008, 10:14 AM
I have the addiction. Gives me a rush to see in mail. Inexpensive when you sign on after numerous expiration notices. Clifford

Jim Becker
07-19-2008, 10:58 AM
I'll have to check out Woodworking in my copious free time...thanks for the recommendation.