PDA

View Full Version : Urns

Ross Lowry
07-17-2008, 4:11 PM
I was wanting to make some urns for a few local places.
I want to have a superior finish on these boxes, which takes a little time to do.
My question is, would I be able to build the box, put the finish on it, and then when I get the order, engrave it?
I would think it would look better if the engraving had finish over it as well?
Thanks for your advice!

Frank Corker
07-17-2008, 6:23 PM
Ross most engraving on wood (in my opinion) looks better when it has been done after the top coat of varnish has been done. Putting the top coat on afterwards tends to 'pool' in the engraved area and actually takes away the neat finish from the lasering.

Ross Lowry
07-18-2008, 8:35 AM
Hello Frank.

That is excellent news, because now I dont have to worry about rushing to put the finish on. I can just have them premade.

Thanks

Paul Truman
06-23-2011, 11:26 AM
What about adding a picture or emblem? I'm actually trying to replicate an urn I found with a waving flag in the center http://www.evrmemories.com/waving-flag-cremation-walnut-urn-p/evr5044.htm for my sister who's son was killed in Iraq. She has been beside herself with grief as she is a single widowed mother and hasn't been ready to choose an urn until now. Brad has literally been sitting in a cardboard box in her closet. I want to do it and do it right and surprise her as the anniversary of his death is in two weeks. My wife is going to line it and I even thought about having his military medals set into the top somehow. I like the simplicity of the flag and serving his country was very important to him. I don't want to have to do a redo. Thoughts?

Larry Bratton
06-23-2011, 12:52 PM
What about adding a picture or emblem? I'm actually trying to replicate an urn I found with a waving flag in the center http://www.evrmemories.com/waving-flag-cremation-walnut-urn-p/evr5044.htm for my sister who's son was killed in Iraq. She has been beside herself with grief as she is a single widowed mother and hasn't been ready to choose an urn until now. Brad has literally been sitting in a cardboard box in her closet. I want to do it and do it right and surprise her as the anniversary of his death is in two weeks. My wife is going to line it and I even thought about having his military medals set into the top somehow. I like the simplicity of the flag and serving his country was very important to him. I don't want to have to do a redo. Thoughts?
If you can't do it, have someone to produce his photograph onto either aluminum or fiberglas reinforced plastic product via sublimation for you. Then inlay it into the wood with the laser. You could engrave the photo of course but if you wanted color, sublimation would be the way to do it. Not having seen the medals, I would only be able to imagine that they could be inlaid also.

Gary and Jessica Houghton
06-23-2011, 1:07 PM
I had a customer want many pictures on an urn recently. We etched simple graphics, then etched a photo of the deceased on a tile. I ran out of time and had to build a frame out of wood myself, so it's not the greatest frame job, but the customer was very pleased. The picture given to me was not the best, but it was the customers favorite.

This was finished wood. I wouldn't dream of doing this on a piece that wasn't finished already.

Dee Gallo
06-23-2011, 1:13 PM
I used to do faux finishes on wooden cremation urns for a pet crematorium. Cardboard versions and Cheap pine boxes turned into mahogany, oak, birdseye maple, marble, etc. As they were 6" cubes, I would not be able to fit them into my Epilog, since I only have a 4" clearance. Check the depth that your machine can handle before designing the urns... might make an interesting urn to be a bit flatter than normal. Or finish the wood first, then assemble. Or dig out a pocket and later you can add an inlay with a photo on it.

cheers, dee

06-23-2011, 1:39 PM
How did we start answering someones post from 2008? I hope this helps almost 3 years later... ;-)

Dee Gallo
06-23-2011, 3:53 PM
Hahaha - I guess we can blame it on the NewJack for bumping it. It's good to see the old posts are still relevant and helping folks, though. It's our own faults for telling all the newcomers to go back and read the old threads.

:D dee

06-23-2011, 5:06 PM
Very funny!

Bill Cunningham
06-23-2011, 10:00 PM
It's nice to see the odd old post recycled and the conversation started all over again...
While we're talking photos on urns, I did this one onto B.Birch, the Customer built the urn for his brother, and inserted the image.. It came out looking much nicer than the photo depicts it, but it is another way to put a nice laser photo onto/into a urn..

Robert L Stewart
06-24-2011, 12:00 AM
199078Love your work there Bill, I am still learning so no images yet for me. I did a small (2 1/2" diam) companion urn for a friend. It is olive wood. I engraved the text and my partner did the floral engraving by hand. Olive marks very well.

Robert

Bill Cunningham
06-25-2011, 7:22 PM
199078Love your work there Bill, I am still learning so no images yet for me. I did a small (2 1/2" diam) companion urn for a friend. It is olive wood. I engraved the text and my partner did the floral engraving by hand. Olive marks very well.

Robert

I agree, Olive wood looks very nice when lasered.. I engraved about 200 Olive wood spoon handles last year for a Italian Wedding, and they came out looking great..

06-27-2011, 10:28 AM
Very nice Bill!

Bill Cunningham
06-28-2011, 10:09 PM
Very nice Bill!

Thanks.. The fellow that made the urn also had me engrave a couple of larger ones of the same image for other family members. He made custom frames for those as well.. His name is Bill Dopson, and he might even be a member of the creek in some other area.. He does some very nice Intarsia work, google him and have a look at his website in Omemee Ontario. He makes a beautiful Henry Yellowboy Rifle out of 24 pieces of different woods.. I've been tempted to buy one for over the fireplace.. Maybe I'll give the wife a hint for my Birthday..ha